Wedding Reception Forum

Alcohol?

So my fiance and I are trying to determine what to do about alcohol at the reception. Is anyone doing a cash bar and a host bar? We would be willing to pay for everyone to have maybe 2-3 drinks then everyone pay for their own.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alcohol?

• We are hosting beer, wine, and champagne because that is all that our budget allows.  Can you do something like that?
    imageVacation
  • Just do wine, beer and soft drinks.  If you can't afford anything else, so be it.  No one should have to pay to attend your wedding.  I am not having alcohol, since it's being held in the church hall, but we will have plenty of beverages on hand. 
  • As PPs have already said, it is better and more polite to host a dry wedding or a beer/wine only bar than to host a cash bar.  In fact, it's better to run out of booze than to make guests pay for part of the wedding.
  • We did a full open bar.  Before we had a headcount, we planned for a higher number, and planned to do beer and wine only.

Offer what you can afford.  If it's only beer/wine or just cheap booze, offer that.  If you can't afford to offer beer and wine, just have a dry wedding.  Do not charge people for drinks and do not try to count how many drinks people are allowed to have.  
  • Just think of it this way: How would you feel if you got a beer at 630 and it was free and then at 715 went up to get a beer and you got charged for it? I think limiting by number of drinks or by time is just kind of crappy to your guests and it puts them in a weird spot.

Like PPs, host what you can afford. We only did beer and wine (plus water and soda obviously) and people were fine with that. Or you could do those two plus a signature cocktail or champagne. Or you could have a totally dry wedding--there is nothing wrong with that etiquette-wise. Those are all preferable to what you suggested.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Ditto PPs.  DH and I only hosted beer and wine.  It was plenty for our crowd.
    Anniversary

• Okay so I know everyone's going to hate me for saying this. I think it's a regional thing. I'm from Massachusetts and although I've been to many weddings, I've never been to a wedding with an open bar and if it had an open bar it was only for an hour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It should not matter what is typically done in your region or what is the "norm" in your area.  Just because it is the "norm" does not mean that you have to follow it.  You should host all your guests properly meaning that they should not have to ever pull out their wallets or pocketbooks to pay for anything!

• The place where I wanted my reception has a few options.  Soft drinks only, beer/wine only, beer/wine/soft drinks only, full open bar and limited open bar.  The limited means only certain types of alcohol are provided, such as vodka, scotch, rum, etc, as well as beer/wine.  It is a few dollars cheaper, and no one seems to notice.
  • Our venue offers wine, beer, soda, water and well brands for our reception package. The venue is this awesome Antique Nouveau Art type bar, so they also offer premium brands. 

I was planning on simply printing cards for the bar that state what we are hosting.  However, if guests order premium brands, we will have a tab set up so that we can cover the cost...hopefully the menu card will prevent this, but we have budgeted in for any overage.

Would the hosting menu be poor form?
  • Lizzie- I think that's fine. Most people understand that if there's only one bar in the venue it's unlikely that they'll move all the liquor you aren't hosting for the entirety of your wedding. I think having cards listing what you are hosting either at a couple of points on the bar or on the bottom of your menus (if you're doing those) is fine in your situation. It's also really nice that you're willing to set up a tab and pay for things you're not really hosting if someone absolutely has to have that. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alcohol-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:65689020-4420-4f29-980a-61580b5065b9Post:81d74af0-1739-4235-9eb6-796f299ae77b">Re: Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lizzie- I think that's fine. Most people understand that if there's only one bar in the venue it's unlikely that they'll move all the liquor you aren't hosting for the entirety of your wedding. I think having cards listing what you are hosting either at a couple of points on the bar or on the bottom of your menus (if you're doing those) is fine in your situation. It's also really nice that you're willing to set up a tab and pay for things you're not really hosting if someone absolutely has to have that. 
    Posted by divinemsbee[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks. I feel much better about my idea. </div><div>
    </div><div>I</div>
  • RunDogRunDog member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alcohol-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:65689020-4420-4f29-980a-61580b5065b9Post:682f2e4e-413b-4fb6-abf5-1d588611abe2">Re: Alcohol?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay so I know everyone's going to hate me for saying this. I think it's a regional thing. I'm from Massachusetts and although I've been to many weddings, I've never been to a wedding with an open bar and if it had an open bar it was only for an hour.
    Posted by samantha24p[/QUOTE]

Think about it this way, would you invite someone over to your house and ask them to pay for dinner? I really don't think it's a regional thing. Maybe it's a person thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  cash bar isn't bad if you don't want people to get drunk at your wedding on your dime.  really dose anyone know how everyone will handal there alchol?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing beer, wine, and non-alc for everyone. Mixed drinks are cash. And definitely don't do a timed bar. Not only is that annoying to guests, but they then feel like they have to fit in as many drinks as possible before the time limit, which may not end well. I did go to a wedding once where they handed out one drink ticket to everyone. That felt worse than just having a straight up cash bar for some reason..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards