Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Wedding shower vs. Bridal shower?

So my mom of course insists the bridal shower should be women only, but I don't know why it can't be co-ed.

Is there any good way of deciding?  Like what are the pros and cons?
photo c5dc5e88-48f8-44ab-b391-57c945a2a7c9_zps31846873.jpg

Abigail and Emily born at 38w5d
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
"Two Babies, Two Boobies" - That's how I roll.

Re: Wedding shower vs. Bridal shower?

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Well, the cons can be that if you insist upon the same women being in attendance, by making the shower co-ed and only adding SO's you've at least doubled the guest list.

That means more food for the hosts along with a space issue.

Beyond that, if you're the guest of honor, you really shouldn't say what you want for a shower unless asked.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Pro's of co-ed: more like a party and less like a boring game riden bridal shower.  Cons: Because that's what I want I can't really think of one!! (space issues and guest list BUT keep in mind what you would have for guests anyway my MOH had a women only shower with 100 guests, I am wishing for a co-ed shower with 65 guests - my point is that my co ed will cost less then her women only)

Pro's of a women only bridal shower: you might make mom happy
    Con's: games, boring, no party-like atmosphere, suffering through hours of shower without a partner in crime (ie. your finance)

And I personally disagree with PP this is a party for you, you should get some input on the type of party you want.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually, you only get input if you're asked for input.  To give your opinion without being asked is rude and you run the risk of entering bridezilla territory.

Just like you don't get to say, "This is what I want for Christmas!" without it coming off as gift grabby, you don't get to say, "This is how I want you to do my shower!"

However, if asked you're welcome to volunteer your opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having a co-ed shower and love the idea. It does create more of a party atmosphere which works because my family is not the boring sit and play games type. My opinion is that is people have a problem with it they can not come ! I know that sounds harsh but this isn't about keeping everyone happy...it's about doing stuff that the people that mean the most to me in my life are going to remember forever and I don't ever want to look back on stuff and regret doing it or wish it had turned out differently. My fiance is just as geeked about wedding presents as I am and his dad is helping to cook for the shower so it seemed fitting that men be there. I give my opinion all the time because I am planning the shower with my mom and my maid of honor. Just giving your opinion doesn't make you a bridezilla it is how you handle the situation. Usually the people that are throwing it are the ones that know you the best in the world and they won't mind if you offer a suggestion. Do what makes you happy and the rest will fall into place.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the ideas and advice.  I actually was asked my opinion by my sister (MOH) though my mom keeps arguing with her that I should have no input.  They are both throwing it, but my mom always pays for everything.  I think I'll just let her have her way, I don't think my fiance really wants to come anyway, even though it feels wrong to me to celebrate the up coming wedding without him.
    photo c5dc5e88-48f8-44ab-b391-57c945a2a7c9_zps31846873.jpg

Abigail and Emily born at 38w5d
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    "Two Babies, Two Boobies" - That's how I roll.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your FI could always make an end of shower appearance.  I've seen that a couple times with bridal and baby showers.
  • Options
    SwanyGirly911SwanyGirly911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the guys will think its completely boring. I'm not making my FI come to the shower, even at the end. He'll be completely bored and so would all of the other guys. If I had a few really good guy friends, that wanted to come, then I would definitely invite them, but I wouldn't expect women to bring their SOs.

And I completely agree - if you aren't hosting the shower, you shouldn't have an opinion on whats being given, unless you are asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards