Wedding Etiquette Forum

I'm neurotic

The interview is tomorrow.  First interview I've had in 4 years, and I'm nervous, to say the least.  Aaaaand since H is out of town tonight, guess who gets to deal with the crazy?  That's right, YOU!! YAY!!

I need some ideas for questions.  I'm asking what a typical day is like, more job specific duties, general feel of the office and Tj's question. 

FYI: It's a marketing job, something I haven't done before.  I do not have a marketing degree, but lot's of sales experience.

Yes, I should have written these down last week during LC's process, but I didn't know I would have this opportunity.

Re: I'm neurotic

• I like to ask what kind of training opportunities they offer.
  • I think you could definitely ask what the possibilty for advancement in the company is like.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My favorite question is to ask what makes a successful ____ at your company?  And then talk about how you have all of those qualities.

Don't talk about vacation, salary or maternity leave or part-time. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey I'm in the same boat as you!! If you read my post a few post down you'll see! I'm sure you have already done this but just make sure you do research about the company before you go in for the interview.

And also think up an answer to my most favorite interview question ever *sarcasm* "What is your worst quality?" I have found that question is hard to answer on the spot so now I always plan ahead of time for that one!

What kind of sales is it if you don't mind me asking? Good luck!!
  • You should ask Shoegal, she's the interview expert.

I would ask about advancement, and possible future education compensation or training.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I also found that when I was looking for a "marketing" job a lot of them were just sales jobs so your experience will probably help you a lot!
    ttc chart
  • I would also ask how they feel about dinosaurs.
  • I haven't seen Shoegal around, I wonder if she changed her SN again.
    Photobucket
  • One question I have from doing the research (there's honestly very little out there other than the company's own website) is "One of the stated goals of the company is to offer high quality product without the big budget.  How does that translate to the growth and stability of the company, and are there plans to grow the company in the future?" But it feels wrong to me.  Thoughts?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:02dcae75-7128-43f7-85d6-869084f37da9">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen Shoegal around, I wonder if she changed her SN again.
    Posted by kellyjellybelly[/QUOTE]

Again?  Who was she before?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know, that may come off as you questioning their business practices.  But I'm not really good at this stuff.
    ttc chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:412d1ac6-53f5-49ca-870d-7de06dbdee9e">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would also ask how they feel about dinosaurs.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Everyone loves dinosaurs!

I've tried the proactive mask. :)  It doesn't like me either.
  • * Why is the position open? If someone resigned, why did they leave?

* What would be your expectations of this new person in the first 30, 60, 90 days, etc.?

* How is success measured for this role?

* When you first joined this company, what surprised you the most?

* (save for closer to the end) Given what you know about my background (from my resume/this discussion), what do you believe would be the most challenging part of this job for me? <-- this one was a zinger when I interviewed for my new job, they loved it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:290d6579-9dae-4ada-b5b1-3bf94ff5c433">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm neurotic : I'm pretty sure she's the one who gave expired(canceled?) credit card info to vendors if she wasn't sure she wanted to book them. I don't remember her having another SN though. ETA: I mostly just remember Nebb calling her out on the credit card thing though.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]
    She was MrsBsomething before.  And yes, she was the one with the expired credit card spa thing.
    Photobucket
  • Ask about the company's plans for the future and if any big changes are planned for the new year.
  • Oooh man.  I totally forgot that was shoegal!  Gah.

Thanks Hensley!

EC, I forgot to answer your question.  I was a store manager and then did order management for another company.
  • auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:9a9a60d2-a18e-45c7-a71c-f14c5e214dd4">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like to ask what kind of training opportunities they offer.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna veto this and the post about compensation for education. Avoid asking about benefits if at all possible. Many questions about benefits can be answered on the website itself, or in the offer packet.

I wouldn't ask about training either if you can help it. A lot of hiring managers are looking for someone who is ready to hit the ground running. Most jobs are going to offer some sort of training regardless, but if you show yourself as being really worried about training that might show a lack of confidence in your abilities. I don't work in HR so someone tell me if I'm wrong...
    One way you could spin it is something more like this: "If I were to accept an offer, is there any sort of education or preparation you would recommend before I start?"
    Chances are they'll say no, you'll be trained in XYZ. But you'll sound more motivated. Again, I could be wrong.

---

Also, do you know what kind of questions they're going to ask you? A lot of places do the "Tell me about a time" questions, where they say tell me about a time when... ex you had to deliver bad news. What was the situation, how did you handle it, what was the result.
    Best to Google common one of those and sit back and think of lots of situations where you really excelled at something or handled a tough situation really well, so that you can mold those situations into one of those types of answers if they ask it.

Oh, and "what qualities would an ideal candidate possess" is a good one, especially if you get to ask questions first, because then you can use those when you have to answer questions.
  • It honestly doesn't matter about education opportunities because higher education is free here. :) So, I'm applying for my master's at the same time anywho! :D
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:2feaadd6-c344-4f1d-a448-28379b72c960">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oooh man.  I totally forgot that was shoegal!  Gah. Thanks Hensley! EC, I forgot to answer your question.  I was a store manager and then did order management for another company.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, be on the look out for a new poster with no sense of humor.  <div>Good luck tomorrow!</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:f6bf9643-efd1-445b-b509-3a9b89b5a513">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm neurotic : Yeah, be on the look out for a new poster with no sense of humor.   Good luck tomorrow!

Um, you mean like Christmas girl?
  • Yeah, I suppose that doesn't narrow it down much.
    Photobucket
  • I'm so excited for you! And I'm taking notes :D
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • EE! :)  I'm excited for me too. lol
  • Know what? If we both get these jobs, we need to Skpe a bottle of wine together ;)  You can even have my Skype virginity. All for you.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:02dcae75-7128-43f7-85d6-869084f37da9">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't seen Shoegal around, I wonder if she changed her SN again.

Baahahaha this cracked me up. I wouldnt be surprised.

And she booked spa appointments with her expired credit card to get out of cancellation fees, she apparently does it "all the time" because shes "sneaky".
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:2cb055a3-cbd4-4ee4-b75c-22e54d2a0956">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm neurotic : Again?  Who was she before?
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

That is what I want to know.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_im-neurotic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:abcb8324-bfe5-40ea-9f94-30f5c9c13fa6Post:b615dc3a-2a19-4337-9085-eff483cd24d7">Re: I'm neurotic</a>:
    [QUOTE]Know what? If we both get these jobs, we need to Skpe a bottle of wine together ;)  You can even have my Skype virginity. All for you.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Oh. My. God.  I get to pop your cherry?  That makes me giddy!!  I can't believe I didn't see this earlier!
  • Like I said, all for you baby. You big meanie head. Going around calling people obtuse. How dare you. Wait, I like it. Talk nerdy to me more ;)
  • Pulls out some Erkel.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards