African American Weddings

Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)

I have a confession.

When I started on theknot  I only posted on my month board and about a month and a half in I decided to check out the Latino wedding board.

The Latino board was way too ... for lack of a better term "Latino" for me. The posts were about translating programs, infusing latino cuisine into the reception, latino traditions ectera. In all I felt like it was more of a pop in and ask a question board than a community.

Then I tried the Christian board. No Comment.

So I just stayed on my month board and got comfy but I wanted more LOL so....

I decided to try the AAW board and the first day I clicked on I was completely turned off ... OUT OF MY OWN STUPIDITY.

I saw several posts with the word Check, Checks, or Checkity Check Check in it and I could not believe that people coud be bragging about getting money/gifts for their wedding. 

Mind you I did not bother to even open the posts I just made an assumption that on the AAW board people bragged about checks. So extremely disappointed I went back to my month board. LOL!

It was not until about a month later I decided to give the AAW board a try again and I jumped right into a convo on 11-24 and since then I have been a part of a community of fabulous, extremely productive, intelligent, creative women that I am glad to have met (online that is LOL).

So the moral of the story is that this is the best board on the knot period and even lawyers can be incredibly stupid.

My first response to a post on the AAW board:
http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_this-ring-talk-ladies-post-pic-of-ring
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)

• tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL! I thought the same thing about "CHECK"! HAHAHA! I was like, I want a check! lol. We're glad you joined us!
  • edited December 2011
    I found out about the site and this board from the first wedding mag I bought (The Knot of course, lol) I started on this board and haven't really been on any others except the DIY and my month board once or twice. I have loved this board from day one. The only thing that threw me at first were all the posts with STD in them. I was like WTH, but I eventually figured it out that they were not about people needing penicillin ROFL!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I was looking at a post about customs because my FI and i are jumping the broom.. . i happen to stumble in here and havent left since lol.  I love the support and the conversations that go on... I feel like i have a group of women that are planning with me and whenever i run into an idea, i say "let me ask the ladies in the knot" lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker When you are in love you cant fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~ Dr Seuss
  • EsquireJLEsquireJL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:f6ee35ba-647f-451e-8717-b67be2ce8992">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL! I thought the same thing about "CHECK"! HAHAHA! I was like, I want a check! lol. We're glad you joined us!
    Posted by tyboyd[/QUOTE]

Ha you see everyone responds differently to things. I know I can't believe it's been 10 months.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:2665e269-4671-4de3-ab40-1ebc4bf0d17f">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found out about the site and this board from the first wedding mag I bought (The Knot of course, lol) I started on this board and haven't really been on any others except the DIY and my month board once or twice. I have loved this board from day one. The only thing that threw me at first were all the posts with STD in them. I was like WTH, but I eventually figured it out that they were not about people needing penicillin ROFL!!!!!!!
    Posted by ThunderKitten2011[/QUOTE]

LOL. The first STD post I saw I clicked on because I had to know what that was all about. LOL!

I also troll the classifieds once a day and my local board once a week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:590954f3-dc7c-4eb4-b8d4-c7f02d5c8ccf">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was looking at a post about customs because my FI and i are jumping the broom.. . i happen to stumble in here and havent left since lol.  I love the support and the conversations that go on... I feel like i have a group of women that are planning with me and whenever i run into an idea, i say "let me ask the ladies in the knot" lol
    Posted by Baesmom[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I like about this board.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    BAHHAHAHA!!!  So funny that someone else was fooled by the "Checks" too. 

At first I never opened the posts because I was a little jealous that so many knotties were getting money. FI and I are paying for everything ourselves.

Boy did i feel stupid when I realized it meant checking something off a to-do list.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes this is really the best board ever. I know some people go on and on about how negative black women are and how we just cant get along but I love each and everyone one of you ladies. You give support when we need it and you tell it like it T-I-S! lol I love it.

So glad you came back and I could so use a check right now its not even funny and I mean a real one not a check off the list!
  • edited December 2011
    You ladies are a whoot!  But I love yall and look forward to checking this board daily.  I really have learned so much from everyone.  I went back and saw the post esquireJL commented on about the rings and what's crazy is alot of those knotties are either already married or getting married really soon!  Wow time really flies by and when the girls sign off before their weddings, I'm a little emotional b/c of the bond I feel with you ladies.  Yall are people I communicate with daily!  Wow this really is and amazing board and and amazing group of women to fellowship with.  Yall are my cyber family (((HUGS))).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    This board is great.  I visit my city board and some of the others but they are nothing like this one!  It is a great mix of advise, comedy and knowledge!  I also feel we are all supportive of our weddings no matter the budget, theme, or customs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    LOL. That is so funny.  Glad you came back.  This board is great, I check this one, my month board, Las Vegas and Colorado boards daily.

This one is by far the best, very supportive.
  • edited December 2011
    I know I regularly lurked here and loved seeing all the supportive messages you all sent to each other. It wasn't until another poster encouraged the lurkers to come out that I decided to jump in. I love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker www.derilandtekoah.com
  • edited December 2011
    Yes it is a great board.  I went to a few different boards and got yelled at about not wanting a reception.  I was told it was rude because Vegas is a destination wedding (i'm having one now and can't wait!) then I looked in this board and I must have came on a day when someone was posting about their African Traditions because I was like I can't relate to this I'm not Africain.  Then I came back a couple weeks later and saw vfriday and Wallcje from the Vegas board and said oh it must not be that bad and now this is my home. Lol!  I love it here!  I know I'm new but you ladies are the best!  I'm so happy that I came back again.
    Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:f79990e1-59d6-4616-aceb-e8e7ee0fae3b">Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a confession. When I started on theknot  I only posted on my month board and about a month and a half in I decided to check out the Latino wedding board. The Latino board was way too ... for lack of a better term "Latino" for me. The posts were about translating programs, infusing latino cuisine into the reception, latino traditions ectera. In all I felt like it was more of a pop in and ask a question board than a community. Then I tried the Christian board. No Comment. So I just stayed on my month board and got comfy but I wanted more LOL so.... I decided to try the AAW board and the first day I clicked on I was completely turned off ... OUT OF MY OWN STUPIDITY. <strong>I saw several posts with the word Check, Checks, or Checkity Check Check in it and I could not believe that people coud be bragging about getting money/gifts for their wedding</strong>.  Mind you I did not bother to even open the posts I just made an assumption that on the AAW board people bragged about checks. So extremely disappointed I went back to my month board. LOL! It was not until about a month later I decided to give the AAW board a try again and I jumped right into a convo on 11-24 and since then I have been a part of a community of fabulous, extremely productive, intelligent, creative women that I am glad to have met (online that is LOL). So the moral of the story is that this is the best board on the knot period and even lawyers can be incredibly stupid. My first response to a post on the AAW board: <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_this-ring-talk-ladies-post-pic-of-ring" rel='nofollow'>http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_this-ring-talk-ladies-post-pic-of-ring</a>
    Posted by EsquireJL[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! You have me dying over here from laughter...this is the funniest thing I've heard all week...thanks for making my day lol</div><div>
    </div><div>This board rocks :)

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FabbiegirlFabbiegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LMBO!!!!!  That is too funny.  So glad you came back to give it another try.  I love this board.  I only go on two boards.  I don't try others.  This makes me want to venture out.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:4f287e95-94ad-4653-8851-ed23034df597">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long) : LOL. The first STD post I saw I clicked on because I had to know what that was all about. LOL! I also troll the classifieds once a day and my local board once a week.
    Posted by EsquireJL[/QUOTE]

lol...I thought that too when i saw STD the first time, I had to make sure I was on the right website...lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:55f8d606-f692-46ea-bab3-48d9df471b96">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long) : <strong>LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! You have me dying over here from laughter..</strong>.this is the funniest thing I've heard all week...thanks for making my day lol This board rocks :)
    Posted by hatroopes[/QUOTE]

THIS!!!! That is soooooo funny that thought never even crossed my mind even when I didn't know what the checks were about.  Glad you gave us another chance.
  • edited December 2011
    I am so happy you decided to give this board a try.....It is indeed the "BEST BOARD ON THE KNOT".  Where can you find love, support, encouragement, positive attitudes, and even someone to prayer for you.....when in most case you have never met them.  Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    HILARIOUS!!! I can see how the TK terms can be read differently.

I can't remember how I found this board, but I remember going on the different boards and peeping out the cattiness & the "overly expensive" brides (my nice way of saying it....lol). I just felt I didn't fit in cause either I would end up cussing somebody out or I felt I couldn't relate....so to say. I lurked on this board for awhile & loved the vibe...so I stayed. Best board for sure!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    lol!!!!! The STD's got me 2!!!!!! Love my sisters on this board
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, It is so funny you say that because I thought the same thing about seeing the word CHECK!

I LOVE this board! it is awesome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
         LOL, I lurk a lot. I'm not much of a poster because for a while I didn't have anything to say. As I get closer, I am on this board everyday! Still lurking but checking in once a day.
         I tried to make friends with the other women on this site, but I just do not and cannot put up with those, moody,snotty, over opinionated prima-donnas. I stumbled across this board because of an article in the knot magazine and I have NOT looked back. Every so often I check in on my local, month and DIY board. However those visit are few and far between.
        I love the women on this board and I don't even know you personally. But you all make me laugh everyday. There is always something that someone post that I can relate to. I'm so glad that I found you guys too!
    Anniversary
  • chescamchescam member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL. What got me was the STDs. I was like wow these women talk about everything and I ignored posts that had STDs in their title. I should have known something was up cause there was always a post about STD lol. I posted on my local board and then on my month board. I had no idea this board existed. I lurked for a bit and then started posting this year. I really like it here. Glad you stuck around. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_confession-thoughts-aaw-board-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:1109bd4b-0148-4380-8e47-5cbce97a3bc2Post:62bcec18-9171-4189-af6f-9a559681ae1e">Re: Confession about my Thoughts on the AAW Board (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes this is really the best board ever. I know some people go on and on about how negative black women are and how we just cant get along but I love each and everyone one of you ladies. You give support when we need it and you tell it like it T-I-S! lol I love it. <strong><font color="#800000">So glad you came back and I could so use a check right now its not even funny and I mean a real one not a check off the list!</font></strong>
    Posted by shesheduke[/QUOTE]

LOVE IT.... couldn't we all use a check!! hahaha
    And... a check of something done!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome back!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DancerppfDancerppf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I came across this board not knowing what to expect and found my knottie home. And although I cross over to the other side in less than a month, i feel antsy because I don't want to leave this board for The Nest.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for the delay I got stuck handling an emergency at work.

Carla 1019- i'm glad I wasn't the only one. You were jealous and I was foolishly offended.

Shesheduke - Being someone who has had negative experiences I will admit I approached this board with extra caution but I was so wrong.

Ejagers- It's true so many of those ladies have moved on but that's what great about this board it does not revolve around certain people or personalities. It's an ever evolving community. Hugs right back at you.

SunnyBB- Comedy, Daily Word, Knowledge.  This board has it all.

Wallacje- Extremely Supportive.

Faithlady- (I like your screen name) Welcome and Enjoy!

MarryingmyKnight- LOL I completely understand about feeling like you can't identify/relate. I have not come across any knottie on this board who has tried to push an agenda cultural or otherwise.

Hatroopes- I seriously had a twisted sour face when I saw it. I'm glad I could make you laugh.

Fabbiegirl- I'm glad I came back too. Venture out carefully some of these women are just crazy.

Japonica334- LOL. Yes!

Djscat- Lol that means you are a lot more open minded.

PB-Bride2010- Amen. LOL!

Lil01- Yes and even married knotties like you come back to check on the rest of us.

M1ssJ- This entire post is a love fest.

BluIvory82- Ok now I know I'm not crazy. : )

KimandWil- Welcome and glad you are here to stay.

Chescam- LOL. The more the merrier.

Ksk2012- Yes and Yes! Thanks.

Dancerppf- Awww. That says it all
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    LOL!! Girl you have me crackin up!!! I love this board too! My month board and local board don't excite me at all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    After stumbling around the interwebs, trying in vain to find information for black women, I am so glad that I kept digging around on The Knot and found you all!  I am newly engaged and just starting my planning - nice to meet you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards