Wedding Reception Forum

Reception time fillers?

Hi everyone.

I'm having my ceremony & reception at the same place.  The entire wedding party will be leaving after the ceremony to take photos off-site (on-site photos are not an option).  Our guests will be "left alone" for about 2 hours (with the bar opening after 1.5 hours).  Any ideas on how to keep them occupied?

Re: Reception time fillers?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-time-fillers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:325db6a9-d659-454e-b881-61b9b0db968ePost:6c787cfd-deb6-4410-ab06-f341dca3d0cf">Reception time fillers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone. I'm having my ceremony & reception at the same place.  The entire wedding party will be leaving after the ceremony to take photos off-site (on-site photos are not an option).  Our guests will be "left alone" for about 2 hours (with the bar opening after 1.5 hours).  Any ideas on how to keep them occupied?
    Posted by Mounty83[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do this.  Take your pictures before the ceremony.  You could have a cocktail HOUR but I think leaving and coming back is a little rude to your guests.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I agree with GLB. 2 hours (with the bar opening after an hour and a half) is not a good plan. People will get VERY bored. I would recommend you open the bar immediately, and be gone for no more than one hour. If you do some photos before the ceremony, then you should easily be able to do the rest after the ceremony. We did all shots of me and my husband separately before the ceremony, then did photos of us together after the ceremony, and family photos after as we'll. This way we didn't see each other before the ceremony started. If you don't mind seeing each other, you can do all but the family photos before the ceremony.
    DSC_9275
  • Can you have a cocktial hour and a half and have the BP just miss it? I mean, 2 hours is  long time without anyhing to do! It's pretty rude to leave your guests with such a large gap in between your ceremony and reception especially when they are in the same space. I would have the cocktail time start much earlier- the cocktail hour is supposed to be what happens when you take your pics anyway.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Rethink your plan.  Take as many pictures as you can before the ceremony, and then have a cocktail HOUR to finish up photos after the ceremony.  It is horribly rude to leave your guests for 2 hours. 

Or, if you really want to be creative in your photo locations, you should consider doing a first look and take all of your pictures at the other locations before the ceremony. 

I don't know how "on-site" photos are not an option.  If you are having a ceremony and reception at the location, I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow a photographer at the venue.  It may not be the location you WANT your photos, but, I imagine there is some sort of ceremony focal point (an arch, a backdrop, a cathedral, whatever) that the pictures could be taken in front of.  Creative?  No, but it is an option.
  • bad plan. if you expect your guests to just stay there you must have the cocktail hourS for the whole time. not just have them sit around for 90 minutes then have only 30 mins of cocktails. boring. awful. rude.

• Thanks everyone.  I'll have re-think the logistics.

(On-site photos are not an option as our venue is a traditional banquet hall... no windows, industrial area.  The ceremony is taking place in the middle of the dance floor.)

• have you asked your photographer if they can bring in backdrops for you?

• LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2012
    Please, please, please do not do this to your guests.  Do a "first look" for the bulk of your photos.  I would be pissed if I went to a wedding and the B & G left the reception venue for 2 hours for photos, leaving guests in limbo with nothing to do.  To be totally honest, I would probably leave before the reception started.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• is there a way after the reception do the together photos at the other site?  but i wouldnt leave for 2 hours
  • There is totally a way to make it work so that you are gone for an hour MAX.

But to be perfectly honest, I would not personally wait around for an hour and a half without a drink. And I don't think most other people would either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_reception-time-fillers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:325db6a9-d659-454e-b881-61b9b0db968ePost:c9efb503-c137-45c1-bed6-c98e3908be4d">Re: Reception time fillers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone.  I'll have re-think the logistics. (On-site photos are not an option as our venue is a traditional banquet hall... no windows, industrial area.  The ceremony is taking place in the middle of the dance floor.)
    Posted by Mounty83[/QUOTE]

I agree with Stage. They are an option, it's just not an option you prefer.   Is there a space outside of the banquet hall (and, I mean, RIGHT outside... like, downstairs, next door, etc.) that you can go to for 30-40 minutes (an hour TOPS). 

You should really consider doing a first look and doing all of your photos ahead of the ceremony.   And even if you do some after, you need to have some drinks/cocktails maybe a snack or something while your guests are waiting for you to get back.
  • I wouldn't wait around for an hour and a half WITH a drink, so there's that.

You chose the venue, you need to deal with the photos you can get there.  Or do all your photos pre-ceremony, or after the reception.  Taking a 2 hour time out is not ok.
  • I have no problem with the B&G leaving after the ceremony to take photos--that is what usually happens, and it's something I expect would happen. However, as everyone else has said, I WOULD have a big problem if you left for 2 hours and we had nothing to eat or drink during that period of time. If you leave for just one hour and provide food and drinks, I have absolutely no issue with that. But you need to rethink the plan you currently have in place, as it will not make your guests happy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We had our ceremony and reception in the same place. The whole reason being that no one (myself included!) would have to get up and go anywhere and it would be convenient.
    And there's something to be said about getting pictures WHERE you were married, even if it's not 'pretty enough.'
  • My fiance and I are planning on doing the same thing (leaving the venue after the ceremony for a little while to take photos before the reception). Initially, we were planning on talking all photos beforehand. Then I realized that if we did that, he would have already seen me in my bridal wear before the ceremony! I personally don't want him to see me until i'm walking down that aisle so this is why we'll be taking our photo's together in between the ceremony and reception. My bridal party and my family will take most of our photo's before the ceremony just to cut down the time we are away from our guests. We are planning on having a light lunch/appetizers and serving drinks for the time that we are gone. Whether it will be the full bar at that time or just having 2 signature drinks is still to be decided. We were also thinking of having some sort of entertainment for people (video guestbook, slideshow, dancers etc.) for that period of time as well to try and fill the time. Honestly, you know your guests better than anyone so you and your fella are the only ones that will know how they'll react and what they'd enjoy so just plan accordingly. :)  

• I just thought I would throw in a experience I had to help you.  my best friend got married a year and a half ago...she didn't mind seeing her groom before the ceremony and was dead set that they couldn't get all the pictures done in the cocktail hour (which was a true hour)  the groom wanted to be traditional and did not want to see her until she walked down the isle.  she asked her photography for her opinion.  the photographer made sure she got all shots with the entire wedding party and just them in that hour and we left the ceremony/reception site to drive within 2 miles so it is possible.  I just think your photographer needs to know that you only have an hour and I think figuring out your locations first is key!  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards