Catholic Weddings

Baptism discussion from The Bump

Ladies, could you lend me a hand? Disclaimer: I am not a confirmed RC yet, but will be doing RCIA this fall and I have tried to study Catholicsm as much as possible. I believe the post that follows mine towards the end of this string is incorrect accoding to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, but I do not have all the references close at hand. The question at hand is how to baptize a child in a mixed religion relationship (the couple in question is unmarried).
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baptism discussion from The Bump

• Marrying outside the church is a public declaration of the state of fornication. It is a sin. A Catholic makes promises to raise their children catholic when they marry in the church. 

There is only one baptism. People that are baptized in the formula are validly baptized and cannot be baptized again. 

• Yes, exactly. To me that was self-evident. Is the catechism that cradle to grave Catholics experience that different from that of RCIA catechumens? 

Is this even worth trying to respond to correct? I have a feeling the poster will disregard any response I might have since I am not a confirmed Catholic and she is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think if you wanted to make the corrections, you would to quote from the catechism in order to prove it. There were SO MANY problems with what that poster said, I wouldn't even know where to start. 
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    The OP's first problem is that they are both allowing their parents to try to make decisions that they have no right to make.  The subject is between the couple, not their parents and they are the one to decide.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_baptism-discussion-from-the-bump?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:e583860b-2b80-48ca-adb4-eb531fdce79fPost:a9fe231d-947d-4498-93c6-7b3eca4a4178">Re: Baptism discussion from The Bump</a>:
    [QUOTE]The OP's first problem is that they are both allowing their parents to try to make decisions that they have no right to make.  The subject is between the couple, not their parents and they are the one to decide.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Regardless of the one poster's knowledge or lack of knowledge of catechism, she was right that the decision is ultimately up to the parents of the child.</div>
    Anniversary

• Ugg...baptism questions on TB (where I only ever lurk) give me headaches, because they usually look just like this. By the time there are 5 or 10 responses, there have been so many misstatements of faith, especially regarding Catholicism, that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Usually, the one or two voices of Truth are overshadowed by the resounding echo of relativism.

The biggest issue for all of these people, IMHO, is that they have never had the conversation I encourage everyone to have, especially people who come here asking about interfaith marriages: how will you raise your children. It is relatively easy to come up with some compromises for a wedding. It is much harder to figure them out for your children, because no one wants to compromise -- they want what is best for their children, and to them, that is their own faith.

MuddyI, if you have the energy to tackle the issues, I agree with Agape, and would go with references to the Catechism. People may not agree with what the Church teaches, but at least then they hear the real Truth, not just what some random internet person maybe remembers from RE or some sketchy relativism.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards