Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Where to buy vintage books?

I'm looking for old books. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can buy a bulk amount for cheap?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where to buy vintage books?

• SBSmith0219SBSmith0219 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm a bulk amount I am not sure, but I know that you can get old/vintage books at Half Priced Books, you just have to be willing to look around at the different locations!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest eBay. Also, libraries sometimes just throw out or give away (or sell for very chea) old books. Our library actually will just set out boxes of old items for people to take, but it's always sheet music.
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would actually go to Amazon.  If a book was out of print, you could buy it through one of the secondary vendors (used to).  You might be able to find some old bookstores that could help you out.
  • edited December 2011
    Half priced books is pretty proud of their vintage books...they can be pricey.

I'd go with Ebay as Anna said.... also I'd search craigslist for people selling them at garage sales, etc.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the goodwill or salvation army. You might find some there. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    THRIFT STORES!!!

We're using old hardback books as part of our centerpieces & I have found them all at thrift stores. Most of the time they're like, $1 a piece depending on where you go. Not sure where you're located, but the best selection I've come across was at Texas Thrift in Arlington. Their book section is huge.
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It depends what you're looking for, but you might try Half Price Books' books by the yard.  It's a good deal pricewise, but they might not necessarily be "vintage."  You could talk to them and see if they can make you a box of what you're looking for.  You might also try the clearance section there, and ask if they have a clearance section for the nostalgia books.  If you're not looking for specific titles but just any kind of old books, honestly a lot of them just get recycled unless they're actually worth something, so depending on what they have at the time and who you talk to, you might be able to get a good deal.
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been looking for some too and have found some at Half Price.  Occasionally they will have 40% off or 20% off entire purchase and I try and wait for those.  I didn't think about thrift stores though, thanks for the suggestion!

While look at half price though, I started to look at the titles because there were some murder/communism/etc books and I just didn't see that as attractive on a table at a wedding.
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_buy-vintage-books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:57e2c6b7-6fc3-46f6-8e43-6d90c4067124Post:b8afa771-3f6c-4d08-be8e-f546acf63759">Re: Where to buy vintage books?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been looking for some too and have found some at Half Price.  Occasionally they will have 40% off or 20% off entire purchase and I try and wait for those.  I didn't think about thrift stores though, thanks for the suggestion! While look at half price though, I <strong>started to look at the titles because there were some murder/communism/etc books and I just didn't see that as attractive on a table at a</strong> wedding.
    Posted by MissAngel[/QUOTE]

AHAHAHAH 

Yeah, My mom suggested I go through their library in the den. I found the medical section first....nom nom!
  • edited December 2011

I agree, MissAngel. Haha. I avoid those titles too. I look for only ones that would imply love, family, wedding...anything like that. I may even actually read a few of them. I have like, 50. Haha. Then, when the wedding is over I figured I'd just donate them back!

image Pregnancy Ticker
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought of you today at Hobby Lobby...

They have vintage books, but they're actually cardboard!  They look real though.  Just a thought!
  • edited December 2011
    Courtney,
    Try Antique Land in Plano. Its is off  of 75 and Plano Pkwy. There are several vendors there that have lots of books. I think you can find what you are looking there.. if you want I'll go with you. Let me know.
  • MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm stopping by my library today... they have a used books section so we'll see how that goes.  Otherwise I think I'll try Goodwill, I think I saw books there the last time I was looking for milk vases.
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_buy-vintage-books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:57e2c6b7-6fc3-46f6-8e43-6d90c4067124Post:3b70aa28-f848-42f1-9491-b0af3397dfac">Re: Where to buy vintage books?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, MissAngel. Haha. I avoid those titles too. I look for only ones that would imply love, family, wedding...anything like that. I may even actually read a few of them. I have like, 50. Haha. Then, when the wedding is over I figured I'd just donate them back!
    Posted by hols0326[/QUOTE]

I'm sending you a PM!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards