Outdoor Weddings

Porta potties

I am having a beautiful outdoor garden wedding, but we have a little snafu when it comes to the bathroom situation. My bridesmaids, mom and venue owner all said to just rent a few porta-potties and call it done BUT I am horrified at the thought of making my guests use porta potties at my wedding. I looked into a nice bathroom trailer, but they start in the 1000 dollar range. OUCH! 

Are porta-potties really that bad? Am I being a brat for not wanting porta-potties? Will my guests be horrified?

Re: Porta potties

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I just used a port-a-potty Sunday because I was running in a race.  I was grossed out using it and I was in workout clothes.  I can't imagine going into one in a nice dress and heels.  Spend the extra money.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Believe it or not, porta potties have a hefty pricetag as well.  Spend the few extra dollars for the trailer.  Think about handwashing, mirrors, lighting....
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Be kind to your guests. Spend the extra money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definately splurge.  I HATE portapotties.   I would consider leaving a wedding early to go someplace else to use a real restroom instead of using a portapotty.
  • If you can make room in your budget I would definitely get the trailer. I hate portapotties. But if you absolutely HAVE to get them, make them as nice as possibly. Be sure to have lots of lighting in and around them. Set up a hand washing station outside with a mirror, hand sanitizer, lotion, wet wipes, tissues, etc. And have a very nice air freshener inside.

But I still vote for renting the trailer!
    "When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
  • If I was at a wedding with a portopotty, I would leave as soon as the ceremony was over.   Not only are they gross... but, they are an eyesore.  Do you want big ugly blue portopotty in the background of any photos that are taken at the reception? 

Spend the extra money...
  • I'm pretty low maintenance so i can't say I'd be horrified but I'd be displeased. Portapotties are annoying enough at street festivals, but at a wedding in a nice dress? Yuck.

Lizzie
  • We are having our wedding and just renting portapotties, but the vendor had a wedding package that including updated ones with handwashing stations. I think it's around $300 for 2. I just don't care that much about it, people are outside and probably aren't expecting amazing bathroom facilities.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_porta-potties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:59866de1-59b4-4fb7-a416-18050ccf740bPost:4794bbf4-4338-4567-8c97-7cbdb1437270">Re: Porta potties</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having our wedding and just renting portapotties, but the vendor had a wedding package that including updated ones with handwashing stations. I think it's around $300 for 2. I just don't care that much about it, people are outside and probably aren't expecting amazing bathroom facilities.
    Posted by orangemell2012[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there, orangemell.

FWIW, as long as they are clean and you have a place to wash hands, I wouldn't have a problem using regular porta-potties at a wedding Your invites/website/reception card/etc probably mention, or at least hint, that this is a relatively casual outdoor wedding. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have any handicapped guests that would need accommodations.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_porta-potties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:59866de1-59b4-4fb7-a416-18050ccf740bPost:4794bbf4-4338-4567-8c97-7cbdb1437270">Re: Porta potties</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having our wedding and just renting portapotties, but the vendor had a wedding package that including updated ones with handwashing stations. I think it's around $300 for 2. I just don't care that much about it, people are outside and probably aren't expecting amazing bathroom facilities.
    Posted by orangemell2012[/QUOTE]

if I went to an outside wedding, I would assume there was an indoor facility close enough to walk to. It would never even begin to occur to me that someone was hosting their wedding and reception in a space without a flushing toilet.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_porta-potties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:59866de1-59b4-4fb7-a416-18050ccf740bPost:b7d51d47-a863-49b7-ad80-a7b26e90c0cc">Re: Porta potties</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Porta potties : if I went to an outside wedding, I would assume there was an indoor facility close enough to walk to. It would never even begin to occur to me that someone was hosting their wedding and reception in a space without a flushing toilet.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree with this. My wedding and reception are outdoors but there are indoor facilities as well. I've been to several outdoor weddings that were this way.
    Lizzie
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    This is no place to cheap out.  Get the trailer.  If you need to cut elsewhere, get rid of favors, programs, aisle runner, etc. 

And we're not just talking about the comfort of your guests.  What happens when YOU need to use a porta-potty in your big dress?  Not a pretty mental image.
  • I too am having portapotties. I am going to rent 2 handicapped portapotties. There are bigger so it will be easier for guests in dressie clothing. Also, when you rent a portapotty they are cleaned out, so they arent going to be a nasty fair portapot.
    Best of Luck
  • The worst wedding I ever went to had port-a-potties.  And the port-a-potties were a large part of why it was the worst wedding I've ever attended.  Fumbling around in the dark in a silk dress with nowhere to wash my hands....nope. 
  • we are also having an outdoor wedding @ my parents home.  the bathrooms (4) inside the house will be available for the high maintanance guests. . otherwise, we are renting 2 standard, regular old port a johns. They will be clean and well-lit.

i can't imagine leaving a wedding because they only had regular porta potties and not fancy trailers.. weird.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_porta-potties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:59866de1-59b4-4fb7-a416-18050ccf740bPost:10ce76fb-99cc-4829-97a0-6535aa9d68a8">Re: Porta potties</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are also having an outdoor wedding @ my parents home.  the bathrooms (4) inside the house will be available for the high maintanance guests. . otherwise, we are renting 2 standard, regular old port a johns. They will be clean and well-lit. i can't imagine leaving a wedding because they only had regular porta potties and not fancy trailers.. weird.
    Posted by DreamCLG7[/QUOTE]

i agree with this. I had "wedding" porta potties and they had mirrors, lights, a water running sink and a kit for perfumes lotion etc. It was also carpeted. No one had any complaints and my bridesmaids and I used the farm house for the washroom.
    Ask the company if they have something like this
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_porta-potties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:59866de1-59b4-4fb7-a416-18050ccf740bPost:94a3b784-afa0-4288-ab5e-3c83b62a1d8a">Re: Porta potties</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Porta potties : i agree with this. I had "wedding" porta potties and they had mirrors, lights, a water running sink and a kit for perfumes lotion etc. It was also carpeted. No one had any complaints and my bridesmaids and I used the farm house for the washroom. Ask the company if they have something like this
    Posted by shaw.heather2[/QUOTE]

<div>"Wedding" porta-potties with mirrors, lights, running water = TOTALLY different than just a regular port-a-potty. I'd have no problem with what you provided (although I think it's interesting that the wedding port-a-potties weren't acceptable for you or your bridesmaids).  A regular, un-lit, port-a-potty that doesn't flush is really inappropriate for an event where people are dressed up. Wedding or not. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards