Kentucky-Louisville

Vendor Reviews from my 12/1/12 wedding! :)

Reception Hall (DJ was included) –Kye’s:  A+ : We had our reception at Kye’s 1 in Jeffersonville, In (it’s RIGHT across the river after the 2nd street bridge, so super close to downtown) and everything about Kye’s was awesome. The wedding coordinator, Herbie, was such a great help and he really made everything so easy. He was quick to respond with any questions or concerns leading up to the day and offered plenty of advice. The facility itself is very nice and clean, and I loved that there was a bridal suite upstairs. There is plenty of parking even with a big event going on in the other half of the building. I loved the exposed brick and rafters and that’s what I fell in love with upon first looking at the facility. They had their own DJ and emcee and they were fantastic! They were personable and made everyone so comfortable to where our guests danced all night long! I was worried that the Christmas decorations would take away from our centerpieces and theme (I had a December wedding) but it didn’t at all! The colors were neutral in the decorations and honestly, some of my guests said that they thought that it was something that we had put up! Between how gorgeous the building looked on the inside, how nice and helpful Herbie was, the DJ and emcee, I was VERY impressed and very glad that we chose Kye’s for our special day.

Cake – Bake My Day: A+ : Jennifer is absolutely talented in both her baking and decorating skills. The cake itself was fantastic…I still have guests talking about the cake, especially the Banana’s Foster. My only complaint is that I didn’t get to eat more of the cake on the wedding day! The cake was gorgeous, and it was exactly what I had envisioned when I began talking to Jennifer about my likes and dislikes. It had clean lines, was simple and classy, and matched our colors perfectly. I have to admit that I went in to the tasting with zero intentions of using fondant but she made me a believer! Her fondant doesn’t taste like typical fondant with that bitter aftertaste. It was creamy and sweet. One of my guests argued with me later that there was no way that it was fondant! All in all, I was ecstatic with my cake (both taste and looks) and cannot WAIT to use Jennifer again!

Hair/Makeup – Sharp Images Salon and Spa, New Albany: A- : There is only one reason that is keeping me from an A+ on Sharp Images…and that’s because my manicure was not up to my expectations. I will admit that my mother was late getting in to town so we were a little late to the appointment, but I had called before leaving and told them that we would be. The girl that did my nails (mani and pedi) took incredibly too long (we were there for 2 ½ hours) and that’s fine…but she spent a lot of time texting, so that’s what aggravated me. BUT that was one time with one person, and that did not hinder the excellent day that we had the day of the wedding. Lisa, the owner, was phenomenal to work with. She was so friendly and professional and made my mother and grandmother feel SO at ease, as they were an understandable mess that day! She did my makeup and I was so impressed by her artistry! She kept checking to make sure I liked everything as she went. I have to admit, I was very skeptical to get normal makeup rather than airbrush because I was so afraid that my makeup would be gone by the time we got to the reception, but it wasn’t at all! I did a little powder touch up on my nose and forehead right before walking into the reception, but honestly, I probably could’ve gone without doing even that! It stayed on and it looked just as good at midnight as it did at noon that day! My hair was the same way. I took in 3 pictures from pinterest and told the hairstylist which aspects of each that I wanted and she did exactly how I wanted…it actually looked better than I thought it would! All of the ladies that worked that day were so welcoming and hospitable.

Florist – Country Squire Florist, St. Matthews/Middletown area: A: Sarah at Country Squire was excellent. The flowers were the one aspect of wedding planning that scared me the most because I know NOTHING about flowers! She pulled real flowers to make little mini bouquets during our initial consultation and that really helped me visualize what they were going to look like. The bouquets and centerpieces were gorgeous and she stayed well under my budget. Ironically, I went to another florist in town before choosing Country Squire and they quoted me double, almost triple, of what Sarah’s original quote was and that was with zero flowers on any of the tables! I was very happy with how fresh the flowers were and how great they look in the pictures against my white dress and my bridesmaids’ black dress.

Photographer – Ross Gordon Photography (rgordonphoto.com): A: Our engagement session was great and so were the pictures that we received from our wedding day. I did a “Wedding show special” that he offered in March of last year, so we received all of our pictures on a USB drive, which sounded like a great idea at the time. I wish now that I would’ve just gotten a normal package with him so that we ended up with ~500-600 pictures that are all digitally enhanced. He did some of them, but once I got all of the pictures (almost 3000) it was up to me to sort out the good ones and crop, color enhance, etc. Thankfully, I know how to work photoshop, but it was kind of annoying. BUT it was the choice that I made, not him. Just something to think about for the brides out there deciding on what to do for photographers.

Limo – Xtreme Transportation: A: Their prices were competitive and Kelly was great to work with. They showed up early (which is always a plus!) and our driver was super nice. The limo (we had a stretch hummer) was very clean on the inside and out.

Caterer – Masterson’s: A+: Masterson’s was great. We worked with Brian, and he was very easy to work with. The menu was prepared from a list of foods that I sent him that me and my husband like and what type of feel we were going for at the actual reception. We were very impressed with what he came up with. The food was phenomenal and my only regret is that Mastersons isn’t a restaurant where we can go and have this meal again! We had a buffet of stuffed chicken and a pork carving station with two types of sauces, red potatoes, veggies, and rolls. The salads were passed out before the buffet was opened. The servers were VERY professional and very helpful and friendly. As someone who worked in the hospitality industry for years, I was very impressed, and this was probably the area that I was the most critical of.  Everyone raved about how great the food was. Our head server was excellent and made the night go smoothly for us.

Photobooth (used as favors) – Showtime Photobooth: A: Great services, friendly staff to work with, excellent pictures. There was a very quick turnaround on the cd getting sent to us. And there was a wide variety of props for guests to use.

Save the Dates/Invitations/Thank you notes – I Do Designs – F: See my review on http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_i-do-designs  I went in to my consultation asking for one thing: I want everything to match (save the dates, invites, thank you notes, table numbers, programs, menus, etc.). What I got was a smorgasbord of items with the idea of “matching” meaning that the same font is used and not even in the same color. I’m still irritated as I send thank you notes to late gifts coming in that my thank you notes are the SAME that I found at Party City…and they were cheaper there than what I paid I Do Designs for! I ended up doing my own programs using Microsoft Publisher and printing on ivory cardstock that I got from Staples. I wish I would’ve done everything myself from the beginning!

Re: Vendor Reviews from my 12/1/12 wedding! :)

• Dress alterations - A+ - Melissa was FANTASTIC!! She was so sweet. She made the process so easy. I was worried at first because my dress had a lace overlay, but you couldn't tell it had been altered at all! The bottom still looked as it did when i bought it, even though she took about six inches from the bottom. sewformal@yahoo.com is her email address to contact her for alterations. I highly highly recommend her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards