African American Weddings

Taking off Your Ring

Do you ladies take off your ring(s) at all? I used to take it off when I was doing the dishes, taking a shower or sleeping. Now, I just keep it on and I don't ever take it off unless I am putting on lotion. This week, I noticed my ring gave my FI, a scratch on his face and now I am scared to sleep with it again.
:-( My hand feels so lonely without my symbol of love.... But I hate that its leaving him with bruises.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Taking off Your Ring

• TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I "lost" my ring once...
    I took it off to wash the dishes and it ended up falling behind the microwave...I FREAKED OUT!!!

Ever since then, I wont take it off unless I am getting in cleaned...
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• cyndoncyndon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off every night before bed.  I scratched myself across the forehead when I first got it, so I stopped sleeping in it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    my main stone is pearl...I take it off at home when I take a shower and put it in the jewerly cleaner so it can take a shower also...lol...other than that I leave it on..
  • edited December 2011
    I don't usually take it off but my diamond one does scratch so I am careful. I also have a titanium band that I wear the most.  So I am never ringless.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_taking-off-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8f5aaa4e-7442-407f-b0ab-298ee45ff125Post:39216053-5ba7-42f9-9759-469d7c8f15a1">Re: Taking off Your Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I "lost" my ring once... I took it off to wash the dishes and it ended up falling behind the microwave...I FREAKED OUT!!! Ever since then, I wont take it off unless I am getting in cleaned...
    Posted by TysWife2Be[/QUOTE]

OMG, I think I would have died! Thank God you found it! That is my biggest fear ever.
  • TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    edited December 2011
    I didnt have it for like 2 days...it was INSANE!!!

I ended up wearing my old promise ring that I had for a long time...but it still wasnt the same.  
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_taking-off-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8f5aaa4e-7442-407f-b0ab-298ee45ff125Post:4af50ea9-5058-4e53-b6d5-c95e89f0e96b">Re: Taking off Your Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take mine off every night before bed.  I scratched myself across the forehead when I first got it, so I stopped sleeping in it.
    Posted by cyndon[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that does hurt. I have scratched myself by accident before. I used to put it back in its box faithfully every night, lol but now the ring and I have learned to become one.
  • edited December 2011
    I never take mine off...I need to get it re-sized though. This will be for the second time. I'm hesitant because last time it took over a week. I think my fingers are shrinking!
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI will scream at me if he see that i forgot to take my ring off when I getin the shower or when I get in the bed. It is hilarious. So it goes in its "bed" when it is noton my finger. If I forget to put it in the bed I freak out.

SN: Last night I was helping FI put his Christmas gift together, he looks at my ring and looking like he is about to freak out, then he touches my ring. I guess from is angle it looked mike my stone was missing.i was dying laughing cuz he had been cracking jokes at me all day and he played one on himself without knowing. He was seriously about to have a heart attack.  
  • edited December 2011
    I was taking mine off to sleep, clean, wash dishes, but then when I went home for Christmas my grandma saw that I didn't have it on when I woke up one morning and did she go in on me so I haven't taken it off since lol
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used to take my ring off when i went to bed every night because I thought I'd scratch myself and I wasn't accustomed to sleeping with jewelry on.  But for the past couple of weeks I've kept it on and only take it off to do things like wash my hair or put on lotion (sometimes I even leave it on for that).  An older, wiser lady told me that for the entire time she was married (her hubby passed away a couple of years ago) she never took it off!  Can you imagine wearing the same piece of jewelry consistently for over 20 years!  FI's Mom told me she only took hers off only once while she was married (FI's dad is deceased now) when she had to because her fingers swole up while she was pregnant w/FI(they actually had to cut it off!).  That was for over 47 years!

Wow!  We've dedicated our lives to wearing a piece of jewelry! LOL!!
    Anniversary Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off every night when I go to sleep, except sometimes if I'm not sleeping at home (at a friend's house or a hotel) I leave it on while I sleep just b/c I get paranoid about misplacing it. 

I also don't shower in it or wear it while I put on lotion.  Finally, I don't wear it when we work out, b/c of the sweat and the ring hitting the weights.  FI had a fit one time when I was wearing my ring during a workout and we both heard it hit the dumbell really hard when I picked it up.  Since then, it stays at home when we go to the gym.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • tyboydtyboyd member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only take mine off sometimes when I put on lotion and when I get it cleaned. No other times. I thought about taking it off during showers but I'm like... for what? It's real. lol. I'm the same with my class ring. I've been wearing it for 3 years straight now. Only took it off to get it resized because I used to wear it on my left hand.
  • hatroopeshatroopes member
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off when I wash my hands, at home, shower etc. I pretty much only wear it when I'm out of the house. It drives fiance crazy, but I'm not a jewelry person at all and FI understands that. He used to be mad in the beginning, but he understands now. I also "lost" it once for a few hours. Turns out it was in my jeans pocket the entire time - fiance was mad as hell!!! After that I wore it constantly for 2 days, but I just cant do it lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take it off when I sleep, wash my hands, shower, and put on lotion. When I'm showering or sleeping I put it back in the ring box. When I wash my hands and put on lotion I make sure it is in my eye view and no where near a sink.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I lost my ring too for a week!! It was in my big purse down in the very bottom. I take it off when im washing dishes, cooking, cleaning, showering, and sleeping.
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    Y'all are brave...I would die if I lost my ring. It has it's own separate insurance policy, but the sentiment can't be replaced, you know? I do have to get it cleaned more frequently though since I don't take it off for lotion, dishes, etc.

@ Cincy - You should get weight-lifting gloves...not just for the ring, but to prevent calluses over an extended period as well. Just a thought.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_taking-off-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:8f5aaa4e-7442-407f-b0ab-298ee45ff125Post:3c3c5516-f0ac-4c7f-b3b0-0d87868bb2ac">Re: Taking off Your Ring</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take mine off every night when I go to sleep, except sometimes if I'm not sleeping at home (at a friend's house or a hotel) I leave it on while I sleep just b/c I get paranoid about misplacing it. 
    Posted by cincy2011[/QUOTE]

Lol....exactly! When I'm sleeping elsewhere, that ring stays on my finger, except for in the shower. With me, I get paranoid that it may walk away. My friends & family aren't thieves, but thats just my paranoia that kicks in.

In the beginning, I never took it off. Now....at home, I take it off for showers, cleaning the house, sometimes cooking/ baking, and at night. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

I typically take off my ring once I get home. I don't really sleep with it on because I have scratched myself several times.

On a side note, I read this post and then went to get my nails done. How about I forgot my ring and my finger felt naked the entire time I was at the nail place. Especially since my friend and I were talking about wedding stuff and folks were looking at me like "ah huh...another one planning a wedding without a ring". Laughing

BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I take mine off to wash dishes, cook, put on lotion, taking a shower and when I go to sleep.  It's kind of a habit  when I go to sleep taking it off with the rest of my jewelry, sometime I do sleep with it on but most nights I don't. I really can't sleep with it on cause I tend to sleep on my hands so it would leave a mark on my face.

It's funny you posted this cause I went to get my ring cleaned on Wednesday and the guy at the jewelry store asked if I cleaned it at home often(I don't) cause I didn't have any build up of dirt or anything really on it. He said it's good that I take it off for some of the stuff I do cause he's had many brides who have had a loose  to prong and didn't know and while they have been doing something lost a stone(happened to one of my BM while drying her hands from washing them her main stone fell out)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    wheatney, that's me too! LOL

I take mine off as soon as I hit the door! It's easier for me since once we get home I am either washing dishes, cooking, cleaning up, chasing our two-year-old around, bathing, slathering lotion or shea butter on, or something. I have forgotten my ring several times and always had to ask FI to bring it with him when he gets to work (we work for the same company but he comes in an hour later).
  • edited December 2011
    i take mine off all the time.  i don't shower, cook or apply lotion in my ring.  i just make sure i put it in the same place at all times. 
  • sadou02sadou02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a jewelry person so I take it off when I get home.  I just keep it attached to my watch with the clasp clothes that way I always know where to find it.
    image139 Made the list!
    image 107 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are getting on my nerves!
  • chavanolachavanola member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off to wash dishes or take a shower, but other than that I keep it on.  I sleep with it on and haven't had any problems.  I patterned wearing mine after my mother--who doesn't take hers off at all.  But she lost her original ring when it dropped down the sink, and since mine is a little big that's made me paranoid so I remove it during dishes and showering when I'm afraid of something like that happening.
  • edited December 2011
    I take it off when I walk my dog late at night (I try not to wear valuables when I'm taking a late-night walk).  But that's pretty much it.   I used to take it off more often than that, but I have a habit of misplacing jewelry and other small stuff, so I feel better with it being on my finger.
  • edited December 2011
    i take it off as soon as i get home.  i tend to lose a lot of things so i have a routine of coming home, taking it off and putting it in the same spot.  havent lost it yet!  woo hoo to me!
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I take mine off as soon as I get home from work and put it in its special place lol, When reading about diamond and ring care, I saw it was best not to have it come it come in contact with harsh agents, chemicals, etc. and Im scared of prongs bending , etc. I'm so scary about that ring!
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I am so paranoid about my ring period. I take it off to wash dishes, to shower or to touch any harmful chemicals. I don't sleep with it on either. I also no that I am overly careless with things too so I try my best to put it in my little juicy coutoure charm box. That's it's safe haven while I am away. I love my baby too much to loose it and like most ladies have stated I would die if it ever got lost.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards