Wedding Etiquette Forum

Food for Photographer and DJ

So I know we need to account for the DJ and the photographer when it comes to our food counts, but do we also send them a wedding invitation?  i was leaning towards no, and that I can just check with them on what they would want for their meal choice.  Is this correct?

Re: Food for Photographer and DJ

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    No you do not have to send and invite.  Although some people give the photographer an invite so they can take  a picture.

As far as the food I would contact them.  They might have dietary issues.

ETA - clarity

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My photographer asked for the invite so she can take a photograph of it. 

There is always a different menu for vendor. But I've decided to serve the same meals for my vendors. It's a celebration and I am feeling generous :p
  • You should check with them/their contracts as well to find out what is required.  For example, our band required hot meals.  Not that we would have served them sandwiches over what our guests were having, but apparently some do if they felt the need to specify.

Often times, venues will provide a vendor meal at a discounted price from the cost of your guests meals.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_food-for-photographer-and-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a624e653-b5a1-473a-96db-5b49a4357b96Post:10fd1cec-cb59-4820-b972-5608b8f5528f">Re: Food for Photographer and DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]My photographer asked for the invite so she can take a photograph of it.  <strong>There is always a different menu for vendor.</strong> But I've decided to serve the same meals for my vendors. It's a celebration and I am feeling generous :p. 
    Posted by bryemar[/QUOTE]

There isn't always a different menu for the vendors.

OP, don't send them invites.  They are not guests they are hired workers at your event.  Since you hired them you know they are coming.  Just ask them what meal they would prefer from the choices you are providing to the rest of the guests.

• I wouldn't send them an invitation because they are not attending as guests. You likely have a contract with each of these vendors (and if you don't, you need to get one), they know what time to arrive along with the location, so it would not be necessary. Maybe having a spare one for pictures would be nice, but it doesn't need to be addressed to the photog.
    Sometimes there are different and lower rates for 'vendor meals', but I feel that serving them what you're serving your guests is the way to go. I have never seen a venue that had a separate offering for vendors, but thats not to say that it doesn't exist somewhere.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_food-for-photographer-and-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a624e653-b5a1-473a-96db-5b49a4357b96Post:10fd1cec-cb59-4820-b972-5608b8f5528f">Re: Food for Photographer and DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]My photographer asked for the invite so she can take a photograph of it.  <strong>There is always a different menu for vendor</strong>. But I've decided to serve the same meals for my vendors. It's a celebration and I am feeling generous :p. 
    Posted by bryemar[/QUOTE]

No. not always. This just sounds so degrading to me and very rude. My photographer had a choice between chicken and beef just like the rest of my guests and an hour before he left, I even offered a beer/drink. That was my way of being generous. He didn't even think of drinking alcohol until I mentioned it was ok since it was 8pm and he would be leaving after cutting the cake. (He wasn't driving though)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_food-for-photographer-and-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a624e653-b5a1-473a-96db-5b49a4357b96Post:4e600c83-af69-4f24-905c-3ca740f486ae">Re: Food for Photographer and DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]One issue with food is that the Photographer and DJ do not get as much time to eat as guests.  I do agee with not giving them sandwiches from Subway (no offense, I do like Subway), but venue would likely be set up to serve a vendor meal as one course (e.g., smaller salad, on side, certainly no alchohol).  I do not see this as snobbish.  I see as overreaching to assume they are friends, or should be regarded as such. 
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]

I would rather overreach and treat my vendors as friends (admittedly, some of mine were) than in the condscending, second class citizen way you are coming across with.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_food-for-photographer-and-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a624e653-b5a1-473a-96db-5b49a4357b96Post:bc7a2efb-497f-490c-96db-4cdb53bd002a">Re: Food for Photographer and DJ</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do not think a vendor is a second class citizen.   I also do not think I can "buy" friends. I can "buy" vendors, and I respect that difference.   Friendship is two ways, and either side has the right to accept/not accept. 
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]

I didn't actually say you did.  What I said was that is the way you are coming across.

And you never know when a vendor may become a friend, especially since they are spending one of the more important days of your life with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards