Snarky Brides

"My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/12/michele_bachman_elijah_my_mommy_is_gay.php

CN: an 8 year-old is pushed up to Michele Bachmann by his mom and tells her "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." (The video on youtube is linked in the article.)

Thoughts?

Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."

• The look on her face is pretty priceless. Too bad they didn't keep the video rolling and just walked away.

The kid looked pretty uncomfortable though.
    Anniversary
  • I dont agree with kids being used as pawns in situations.  Especially since he clearly didnt want to do it but the uncomfortable look on his face. 

The mother could have left the son at home and got the same message across.  "Im gay, I have a son, and I dont need fixing".

I also dont like setting up celebs, politicians, public figures, etc. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I agree, the look on her face is awesome, but my heart goes out to that poor boy.  He was obviously uncomfortable, granted it was likely from being a normal 8 year old and not digging whispering in a strange person's ear and not necessarily the subject matter.  I think it's pretty horrible actually that a mother would put her child in that position.  Though now that I think about it, is it really that different than making your kid sit on "Santa's" lap for a photo op? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:c3e07159-6af9-4186-af66-208a17a17403">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the idea of an 8 year old being used for political propoganda.  
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  That's pretty shitty of the mother.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:f0275d8e-71a8-4021-a6b0-eff51326cc47">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : I agree but I think the whole point was the reaction from M.B., which would not have been the same coming from an adult.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

If it had come from an adult, she would have had a chance to respond.  What was she supposed to do with an 8 year old?  Get into a discussion on why she believes differently?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't agree with the mother prodding the child in this situation. The child was so uncomfortable.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:3c22bbd3-fd18-4419-bebd-3a8b5bfeeb3b">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : But wasn't that the point of having the 8 year old say it? Although you make an excellent point.

I think its cowardly that the mother needs her 8 year old to fight her battles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I actually give Bachman a lot of credit for not saying something nasty to the mother in front of the kid.  I dont like her (or her views) but if that was me I would have lost it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pretty much despise Bachmann; I just need to put that out as a disclaimer first. ;)  And for whoever asked, yes. She is VERY adamantly against gay rights (or pro protecting the 'sanctity of marriage' or however she spins it.) Her H has been purported to be involved in a a treatment facility that 'helps' 'ungay' teenagers.  It's awful.

ANYWAY.  I very very much disagree with this mother.  I think it was awful that she pushed the son into it.  I also have to wonder if the kid even knew there was anything 'wrong' with his mom until this.  She obviously told him that Bachmann thinks 'mommy needs fixing.'  He's 8. I'm sorry, but he doesn't understand it all.  Mom is using him as a fucking pawn, and it pisses me off.

Google this story, once. It's really interesting to see how it's being played out in different medias.  I tried to find a neutral source. ;)
  • I hate me some Bachmann but that's just gross.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• It reminds me of the parents who make their kids hold dead fetus abortion pics, "God hates F*gs" signs, wear KKK hoods and hold signs, etc.

It makes me feel bad for the kid.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:f0d1c156-f3bf-4cfc-931d-319738d30a72">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : I think its cowardly that the mother needs her 8 year old to fight her battles.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

i agree with this 100%

And with your previous statement regarding using children.  Few things make me as mad as the tiny tiny children made to stand outside Planned Parenthood with signs.  Those poor kids don't understand what they're doing at all.  They think (there was a news story recently where the small children were interviewed) they're trying to stop people from killing babies.  Because of course, killing babies is wrong.  They can't possibly comprehend the various political agendas and such surrounding the issues. Like the waiting period, or informing the woman about her "baby" and doing an ultrasound, or that P.P. is also our area's number one supplier of condoms and other birth control to young women.

Sorry.  I went off on a tangent.

EDIT: Not so much of a tangent I guess now that I see the post right before mine.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:46b6c2f4-3693-4b15-8467-75052ad39600">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : Agreed.  I guess she thought it would make a more powerful statement.

True. And, you know what? Maybe the kid really did say that on his own accord at one point.  But, they shoved the poor kid into her face, told him REPEATEDLY to say his line (even though he obviously was uncomfortable), and then pulled him away quickly after.  All while making sure someone was recording it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:6a39f078-7ca1-41df-b10c-11237d39fa89">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]It reminds me of the parents who make their kids hold dead fetus abortion pics,<strong> "God hates F*gs"</strong> signs, wear KKK hoods and hold signs, etc. It makes me feel bad for the kid.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I watched a documentary on the Phelps people on Netflix, and the guy asked one of the kids what a f*g was and he couldn't answer because he didn't even know.  This was after he was shouting at cars about how they were all f*gs and soldiers were f*gs and whatnot.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I dunno, I hesitate to agree with you on that, DJ.  Because, I really don't think this is even a debate.  it's a case of equal rights, plain and simple. There is no non-religious debate.

Someone shouldn't have to form mature explanations as to why they should be able to love whoever they want.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:065ae488-5587-4e65-8293-0e0bcb17b9ae">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]Steph, I see what you're saying, but if she's running for president with that as part of her platform, I would rather see her try to explain why she feels she's right than put her in the position where she can't say anything at all.  I just think it weakens anyone's discussion when they put their opponent into a situation where they can't respond at all.  In my opinion, that's what the mother did.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I was ready to read an article about a kid saying this on his own accord, in which case I thought was adorable. 

This child was put in a very difficult situation and used as a pawn to get a message across.  There's no way Bachmann is going to give that kid a speech about why she feels it is wrong.  Even if she truly views it as a sin, why put the kid through hearing that his mom is supposedly a sinner?
  • This is a pretty classic example of two wrongs not making a right.

Viewing homosexuality as a condition that needs "fixing" is bigoted and reprehensible. 

Using your kid as a pawn to push your own viewpoint, even when it's correct, is a shitty thing to do. 

Is Bachmann the bigger asshat here? Yes but that isn't saying much. 
    Photobucket
  • Overall, yes. Bachmann is the bigger asshat.

In this one-minute video clip. Nope, no way.  She didn't do anything.  If she would have looked at the kid and said "yup. Your mom is going to hell", I'd be having a different opinion.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:0cc02a37-356d-43b1-b74c-640916e63f8d">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]Overall, yes. Bachmann is the bigger asshat. In this one-minute video clip. Nope, no way.  She didn't do anything.  If she would have looked at the kid and said "yup. Your mom is going to hell", I'd be having a different opinion.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

<div>IMO, the bigot is always the bigger asshat.</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:93cd4ffb-2931-432b-a8c9-670f4f8d0928">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : IMO, the bigot is always the bigger asshat.
    Posted by MeganG12345[/QUOTE]

In life, yes.
    In this situation, no.  She was campaigning, plain and simple.  She has her views and stands up for them, even if they're asshat opinions.  However, she has never subjected any of her young children to public humiliation in order to get a point across.  A point that this child is too young to fully grasp to begin with.  That makes the mom the bigger asshat in this given situation.  I give Bachmann some credit for not saying anything to tarnish this boy's views of his mom right then and there.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:55f56d8b-7b8d-4461-9807-2d3ab95cdcfe">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : In life, yes. In this situation, no.  She was campaigning, plain and simple.  She has her views and stands up for them, even if they're asshat opinions.  However, she has never subjected any of her young children to public humiliation in order to get a point across.  A point that this child is too young to fully grasp to begin with.  That makes the mom the bigger asshat in this given situation.  I give Bachmann some credit for not saying anything to tarnish this boy's views of his mom right then and there.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>I really disagree. If a large part of her platform (if you can call it that) was aimed at depriving rights from a different minority group no one would defend her because she was "campaigning, plain and simple." Her views are discriminatory and reprehensible. The fact that she justifies them in the name of a loving god makes me want to vomit in my mouth. </div><div>
    </div><div>You can't look at this incident in a vacuum. She is a politician running on a platform of hate- that is going to lead to people (esp those who she is aiming to legislate bigotry against) to do some stupid crap. I'm not defending what the mother did, I think it was really shitty, but you can't just look at this clip- you have to also look at what Bachmann did to cause it.</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:a6fd27ec-ce9c-4294-9a4f-f41d2ae81077">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing." : I really disagree. If a large part of her platform (if you can call it that) was aimed at depriving rights from a different minority group no one would defend her because she was "campaigning, plain and simple." Her views are discriminatory and reprehensible. The fact that she justifies them in the name of a loving god makes me want to vomit in my mouth.  You can't look at this incident in a vacuum. She is a politician running on a platform of hate- that is going to lead to people (esp those who she is aiming to legislate bigotry against) to do some stupid crap. I'm not defending what the mother did, I think it was really shitty, but you can't just look at this clip- you have to also look at what Bachmann did to cause it.
    Posted by MeganG12345[/QUOTE]

I can' twatch the video because I'm at school, but what was Bachmann talking about when this happened?  Was it random? Was she addressing her views on gay rights?  Or was it a Q&A? 
    Are her views wrong? Hell yes.  But should a parent use (and force) a child to combat those views? Hell no.  I dont' care how wrong a politicians views are.  You don't use your child to try and prove them wrong.
  • Chels- the mom and kid were in line for a book signing.  Bachmann wasn't actively talking about anything.  The kid didn't want to talk to her, the mom pushed him up toward Bachmann and he whispered something quietly.  Bachmann asked the kid to repeat it (very nicely, actually. she said something cute like "I think my ears were too far away. What'd you say?") The kid repeated himself after mom said "don't you have something you want to tell her?" Bachmann just kind of sat up straight and shot the mom a glare and said "buhbye" as the mom pulled her kid away.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:087c6f7f-2bd2-48e7-acdd-063df8603be1">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chels- the mom and kid were in line for a book signing.  Bachmann wasn't actively talking about anything.  The kid didn't want to talk to her, the mom pushed him up toward Bachmann and he whispered something quietly.  Bachmann asked the kid to repeat it (very nicely, actually. she said something cute like "I think my ears were too far away. What'd you say?") The kid repeated himself after mom said "don't you have something you want to tell her?" Bachmann just kind of sat up straight and shot the mom a glare and said "buhbye" as the mom pulled her kid away.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

Ookay then I feel slightly differently now.  I was under the impression it was during a campaign speech or something.  I don't think it's as big of a deal if it was at a book signing, however, the mom still shouldn't have forced him forward.  If he didn't want to go, then he shouldn't have been forced like that.  It's still mean. 

I still heart Ron Paul.
  • Yeah this is icky to me.  I definitely agree with the message, but wholeheartedly disagree with using the child as a medium for expressing it. 

I also agree that Bachmann handled it suprisingly well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mommy-gay-but-she-doesnt-need-fixing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2993db1f-f1e5-443d-ad65-8adb6167cb3bPost:c3e07159-6af9-4186-af66-208a17a17403">Re: "My mommy is gay, but she doesn't need fixing."</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate the idea of an 8 year old being used for political propoganda.  
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

This.

If she had something to say, she should have just said it herself instead of  hiding behind the kid. The part where he puts his head in his hands and covers his face just ripped my heart to shreds. It's clear that he did not want to be doing that. Regardless of what a heinous witch Bachmann is, there is no reason to drag an innocent child into this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the kid said it of his own accord, in response to something she said then and there, then it would have been a very powerful statement.  An innocent child that honestly has no idea why someone would say his mom needs to be fixed.  However, giving your kid a line to feed her at a book signing when she wasn't even discussing the topic (at the moment, which means this kid just really had no idea why he was saying what he was saying) really hurts the effectiveness of his words.

Granted, he's much older, and this is a prepared speech, but I think this is so much better than shoving an uncomfortable 8 year old to deliver a 'mom-approved' line.  I wonder what Bachmann would say to him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSQQK2Vuf9Q
    Anniversary
  • I agree with Jemmini. If that little kid had walked p on their own accord, it would have been a great moment. Instead it was just awkward to watch.
    I have a feeling the kid probably wanted to say something, but got cold feet when they time came closer. That's the impression I got, anyway.

I feel bad for the kid there, I do.

And, yeah, tha prepared speech was awesome and I would love to hear Michelle Bachmann talk more about homosexuality. Not just about her views on it, but her actual plans. When she first started campaigning she was all about an amendment banning gay marriage. That hasn't been mentioned in awhile and I wonder if she is hoping we all forgot about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards