• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Royal Wedding

hats, hats, and more hats

Why hats? Why do the British always wear hats to events?

The Prime Ministers wife didn't wear one, is that a fashion statement or a fashion faux pas?

Re: hats, hats, and more hats

• Yes, the British nobility wear hats to everything.  The Queen is rarely if ever seen in public without a big hat.

I have no idea about the PM's wife.  But I have a feeling she's going to be questioned about it ad nauseum for quite a while.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The Prime Miinister is an elected official and not royalty and since it was a morning wedding, non-royals have a little more lee way about not wearing a hat.  However, it is a very formal occassion and she is in the spotlight and since it was in a place of worship, I feel she should have.  Then again, I wore a hat to Easter services last Sunday!
  • I think it's just what they do!

I love the hat spectacles! They're so wild and fun! Not something I'd ever wear though...

imageUntitled my read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • There were some wonderful hat but Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie's were pretty awful IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Was one of them the one with the pink hat in the middle of her forehead and the awful bow looking thing? I wanted to take it off at beat her with it while going "What... were.... you... think...ing?!"
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • I love the hats! Wish we wore them here.
  • Princesses Beatrice and Eugenies hats were definitely among the worst! And what was with that on her forehead? I thought hats were meant to be ON your head. Not on the side of your head, not on your forehead. ON your head.
    All the hats kind of remind me of the South where ladies wear hats to lunch and things like that. (I'm not from the South so this can just be a stereotype from watching too many movies)
  • Seriously the bow thing looked like something you wear to a Lady Gaga concert, not a royal wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to Re: hats, hats, and more hats:
    [QUOTE]Princesses Beatrice and Eugenies hats were definitely among the worst! And what was with that on her forehead? I thought hats were meant to be ON your head. Not on the side of your head, not on your forehead. ON your head. All the hats kind of remind me of the South where ladies wear hats to lunch and things like that. (I'm not from the South so this can just be a stereotype from watching too many movies)
    Posted by smilygrl17[/QUOTE]

I mean, fascinators and cocktail hats can be worn on the side, and I liked a lot of the fascinators that i saw... but dude... Princess B looked retarded and normally i LOVE fascinators. Hers was just hideous though.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Fergie's daughters kinda looked like Cinderella's step sisters. Those hats...
    [QUOTE]Fergie's daughters kinda looked like Cinderella's step sisters. Those hats...
    Posted by MeghanF87[/QUOTE]

haha They did! Looking at all those hats makes me wnat to wear one!
    [QUOTE]There were some wonderful hat but Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie's were pretty awful IMO.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Too much. Way Way too much. Save them for the evening party.
  • Technically I assume that the hats at weddings thing is a holdover from wearing hats to church. At least in the Catholic Church, women used to (and some still choose to) cover their heads in church as a sign that their bodies were like the tabernacle; the practices of the Church of England have their roots in the Catholic Church, and although they are different, a lot of things remain the same. If you're not going to wear a veil, you wear a hat. Over time my guess is that although some things became more lenient, the tradition of hats at weddings continued. It's not a requirement, though, which is why Samantha Cameron, who is considered "fashion forward" for a PM's wife, didn't bother.

Anyway, I figure that cracked-out hats are the cornerstones of the British fashion industry :)  Which is why the princesses were allowed out in public. Does anyone else think that with that terrible color on her, the tentrils of her hat, her huge eyes, and all that black makeup, Princess Beatrice looked like Beetlejuice?
    [QUOTE]Technically I assume that the hats at weddings thing is a holdover from wearing hats to church. At least in the Catholic Church, women used to (and some still choose to) cover their heads in church as a sign that their bodies were like the tabernacle; the practices of the Church of England have their roots in the Catholic Church, and although they are different, a lot of things remain the same. If you're not going to wear a veil, you wear a hat. Over time my guess is that although some things became more lenient, the tradition of hats at weddings continued. It's not a requirement, though, which is why Samantha Cameron, who is considered "fashion forward" for a PM's wife, didn't bother. Anyway, I figure that cracked-out hats are the cornerstones of the British fashion industry :)  Which is why the princesses were allowed out in public. Does anyone else think that with that terrible color on her, the tentrils of her hat, her huge eyes, and all that black makeup, Princess Beatrice looked like Beetlejuice?
    Posted by meep2[/QUOTE]

No, my first thought was, "Who invited Lady Gaga?"

At least now I know who that was. I assumed it had to be one of the Queen's granddaughters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards