Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Has anyone done...

an ipod/laptop wedding? Has anyone actually DONE THIS who can share their experiences? I have found a lot of advice on this, but I want to hear about someone's actual experience. Thank you!
Photobucket

Re: Has anyone done...

• hedsillhedsill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also thinking about doing an iPod wedding so I'd love to hear about experiences!  I was in a wedding last fall where the couple used an iPod and it worked out great.. they had their reception at a mexican restaurant with dancing in a corner of the room, and the iPod worked great in this sort of lowkey setting.  I'm having my reception in a more traditional ballroom-y setting, and am worried about how it will translate.  I LOVE music and want to have a lot of control over what gets played/not played, but I'm nervous about not having a dj to "read" the crowd's mood, etc.  Anyway, sorry to ramble and hijack your post!  Hoping others can share experiences...
    imageGraphics
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that is what I'm worried about, too. FI has speakers and most of the proper equipment, so I think we will take it on a test run soon just to see if the sound is good enough. I am having lots of fun going through music to play!
    Photobucket
  • cutypie953cutypie953 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, I have been a BM in 2 weddings that had iPod receptions.  One worked great and the other didn't work at all. I can tell you what I learned:

1.  Have a good sound system hooked up to it.  The wedding that was successful, the speakers sounded great and the music wasn't too loud or too soft.  The one that didn't work the speakers were crackling and they had the music so loud my head was aching while we were eating dinner. 

2.  Like PP mentioned, the lowkey wedding that was more intament and not in a huge room worked great.  The one that didn't really work was in a huge ballroom and it was like they had it turned up so loud for everyone to hear I think that is what caused the issue I mentioned in my point above.

3.  If you do have an iPod, have one person man the station the shole time.  The wedding that worked had a cousin of the bride there the entire time.  If you ask ahead of time someone that enjoys that kind of thing it should be fine.  Her cousin had a blast!  The one that didn't work everyone tried to walk up and change the songs and it was a big mess.  I feel even if you set it and just let it run through the songs, you need someone gadging the audience.  If the crowd starts to leave the floor, you need something like the YMCA or the Conga to get it going again!

4.  If you have money in the budget I really do recommend a DJ.  Mine was amazing and kept the dance floor packed all night.  Best $500 spent!  If dancing isn't that important to you, iPod is fine, if you really want the floor packed all night, DJ's are trained for that and do a great job!
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! We're trying to cut costs and hooking up our laptop should work. The venue is a victorian home, so it should be just fine size-wise. I am putting a song request on our webpage to hopefully reduce the people trying to mess with our songs.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards