Catholic Weddings

Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?

Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?

• ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    really?  Some of my siblings live in Harding, New Vernon to be exact and Mt. Lakes
    edited December 2011
    knot ate my reply

my sibs live in Harding, New Vernon to be exact and Mt. Lakes
    edited December 2011
    shiiiiit

Post times are off again. REad up for my reply
    edited December 2011
    No, I haven't heard of it but thanks for the link, I'd like to check it out. Never too late to learn something new
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:a05f8a71-23b1-427b-ba60-4d9341f0919a">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Sweet. Thanks so much everyone for the feedback! Agape hun, I'm sure you don't mean too, but your tone here kinda sucks. Aren't you supposed to be bringing people TO God and not chasing them away? Because you're kinda more in Chasing Away mode here...
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

how funny!  I noticed that too
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:a05f8a71-23b1-427b-ba60-4d9341f0919a">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Sweet. Thanks so much everyone for the feedback! Agape hun, I'm sure you don't mean too, but your tone here kinda sucks. Aren't you supposed to be bringing people TO God and not chasing them away? Because you're kinda more in Chasing Away mode here...
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Please do not patronize me.

There was absolutely no tone in what I said. I honestly thought you wanted real answers to your questions about open communion and such, so I said what the church believed.  If you call a chancery, the authority in the church, they will tell you the same thing I did.

So because I'm not encouraging you to do something I find offensive to my faith, I have a tone of chasing away? 
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am intrigued as well.  And if I didn't have a Church I was already thrilled to pieces with, I would be even more intrigued!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
    edited December 2011
    They even say they are not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church.

They marry people who are already married, invite everyone to communion, etc.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:8b2e06ce-0a22-4c56-9f04-e0dc237270fd">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They even say they are not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church. They marry people who are already married, invite everyone to communion, etc.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]
    Right, so is that a bad thing? Is it like, super offensive to Catholics?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:8b2e06ce-0a22-4c56-9f04-e0dc237270fd">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They even say they are not affiliated with the Roman Catholic church. They marry people who are already married, invite everyone to communion, etc.

:shudders and swoons::
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:828f7273-d207-412a-b438-317cfef7f9fa">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Right, so is that a bad thing? Is it like, super offensive to Catholics?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Not to this here Catholic.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you're re-planning your wedding, Ghoti.  Are you thinking of contacting them or something?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    don't worry. Some people will read it and be bothered by it, some will like it and some just won't care.

You're allowed to post whatever you choose
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:82219d9e-0b4a-4055-8c25-90ead49f4aa3">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you're re-planning your wedding, Ghoti.  Are you thinking of contacting them or something?
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]
    Yes, my Fi's fam is pretty heavily Catholic, I'm Protestant.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:828f7273-d207-412a-b438-317cfef7f9fa">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : Right, so is that a bad thing? Is it like, super offensive to Catholics?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

A priest who does not have faculties does open communion in illicit masses... yes, it offensive.  A priest who marries people who are not free to marry, that is offensive. It's a mockery of the sacraments.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:e6757ae7-4e38-4873-ae9f-c50cc6072ebb">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : A priest who does not have faculties does open communion in illicit masses... yes, it offensive.  A priest who marries people who are not free to marry, that is offensive. It's a mockery of the sacraments.
    Dumb it down, I'm not Catholic. What is wrong with open communion, how is it to illegal people, and who isn't free to marry?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Psst.  Agape.  I asked you a question in your thread a while ago :).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    ghoti, I wouldn't suggest using this if your FILS are practicing Catholics though. 

It's one thing to learn about different religions and to accomodate them but you would not have a marriage that would be valid in the Catholic church
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:38537158-63af-48c4-9527-bea82cf14273">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ghoti, I wouldn't suggest using this if your FILS are practicing Catholics though.  It's one thing to learn about different religions and to accomodate them but you would not have a marriage that would be valid in the Catholic church
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

This.  If that validation is important, there are plenty of more progressive Roman Catholic churches out there.

However, most Roman Catholic Churches won't let you jump into the action at two months out.  They usually require at least 6-9 months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Your FILS would expect a regular priest and a church wedding, right?

If you're open to that, don't use this site.

If you & your DI are accepting of the ideas of Contemporary Catholics, I'm certainly not going to tell you that you shouldn't.

okay?
    edited December 2011
    Roman Catholics believe that the bread and wine truly become the real presence of Christ ...body and blood, soul and divinity at Mass. This is the marriage of Christ to the church. In Christ's complete gift, our reception of the Eucharist is not only our time to be come one with the Lord, but also a statement of being one in faith-- belief in the Church, completely. For non-Catholics to receive, it isn't assenting to the Church, and most don't believe in the true presence either.

A person who has vowed marriage to someone already is not free to marry someone else. Civil divorce does not undo what God has done.

A priest who is validly ordained promises obedience to the Bishop and to stay in Communion with the church. This priest (if he was even validly ordained, I didn't get that far), has not done so.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:703ba86b-3db2-486b-961b-8bfe3d9586cd">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics? : LOL, thanks for bolding the ending there :)  I hate when people just leave it at "....and then your marriage wouldn't be valid."  Because it is, just not in the catholic church.
    Posted by bree4305[/QUOTE]

And this is the difference here. Just because the government says it is valid, doesn't make it so. We are talking about the spiritual reality here, and the Church (That Christ instituted) has the authority of that for Catholics.
    edited December 2011
    where in New Jersey are you getting married, ghoti?

12 weeks is fast work although I got married in 10 days ;)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:33254c44-2440-4d7d-8210-642cae1cab94">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your FILS would expect a regular priest and a church wedding, right? If you're open to that, don't use this site. If you & your DI are accepting of the ideas of Contemporary Catholics, I'm certainly not going to tell you that you shouldn't. okay?
    No, they don't expect a church wedding. I think their *ideal* wedding for us would be in the church and validated and such, but we (Fi and I) tend to dance to our own beat. His parents don't go to church except every so often, but they jumped through all the hoops when they were younger (I'm not sure what that means religion wise, if they are still considered practicing or if they are just Catholic by rights). Fi doesn't care who marries us, I would just like a little bit of "God" in our ceremony, and since my pastor is across the country, I thought if it wasn't super offensive, that a Catholic guy (Priest? Friar?) would be kinda suiting.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm, lost post, but it's probably for the best. I don't want to argue, I'm just saying you could gain to work on your phrasing. If I wanted to call a chancery (whatever that is) I would. Instead I asked here, and got some great feedback, so thanks for that. :D
    Cheers!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:e5601ff8-95f6-43e7-8edb-38b7f67cfd9f">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Roman Catholics believe that the bread and wine truly become the real presence of Christ ...body and blood, soul and divinity at Mass. This is the marriage of Christ to the church. In Christ's complete gift, our reception of the Eucharist is not only our time to be come one with the Lord, but also a statement of being one in faith-- belief in the Church, completely. For non-Catholics to receive, it isn't assenting to the Church, and most don't believe in the true presence either. A person who has vowed marriage to someone already is not free to marry someone else. Civil divorce does not undo what God has done. A priest who is validly ordained promises obedience to the Bishop and to stay in Communion with the church. This priest (if he was even validly ordained, I didn't get that far), has not done so.

Serious question - are you offended by any non-Catholic denomination that claims to be Christian? Because in protestant faiths, priests are not ordained by Rome, communion is symbolic rather than the occurance of transubstantiation, and in many divorcees are allowed to remarry. Most even recognize civil marriage as valid, since marriage is not a sacrament (at least not in the Calvinist tradition and I believe anabaptist, as well as others). So I don't see how this is much different. It's not REALLY Catholic, but it seems to be taking the traditional mass and using that as a basis for worship. I understand that some Catholics might feel comfortable attending a familiar "mass" but may not hold the same beliefs in regard to the catholic faith that they once did. Therefore, this choice may be comforting.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If everyone is on board, then I say do it.  It sounds like these priests have a good head on their shoulders in terms of social justice, and it sounds like that is the type of faith practice you prefer.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    okay, gotcha

I think that a wedding in a Catholic church may not be the best idea here as neither one of you are practicing Catholics.   If FI doesn't care and your FILS don't care, I'd suggest looking at something more like the site you posted.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-heard-of-contemporary-catholics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:c18386a4-c165-426d-a76d-f4b42b4cf0c4Post:20ee4836-48df-41e2-b62a-f0da6feee662">Re: Has anyone heard of Contemporary Catholics?</a>:
    [QUOTE]where in New Jersey are you getting married, ghoti? 12 weeks is fast work although I got married in 10 days ;)
    Northern, Morris county :) It's been fun, I'm a DIY queen LOL. Officiants are expensive here! 600 bucks about, thats nuts. Almost makes me want to just run to the courthouse the Monday after and do it then.
  • edited December 2011
    There is some wierd postage going on here...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards