Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice

It's a beautiful day here in NC so FI and I left the back door open so the dogs could go in and out freely. There has been a small hole in the fence that FI and I have tried to fix multiple times but the dog on the other side keeps breaking it. We were inside when we heard our littleist (?) dog crying and the neighbors dog growling. Sure enough, our Loki was in the neighbors yard being attacked by their pitt bull. FI scaled the fence and saved Loki, and luckily he only has a very minor puncture wound but it has shaken me enough to wonder if theres anything we can do. 

The way the fence is built we can add wood all we want but the neighbors dog will be able to butt into it enough to break it. FI put a cement block in front of the hole on the neighbors side last time this happened and their dog moved it. My only thought is to offer to pay for the wood if the neighbors will nail it in on their side. The man that lives there seems like he would maybe do it but the woman is rude as hell and I'm not sure she would see the problem. 

I don't know if it's worth calling animal control or not. If she wanted to kill Loki she would have. On the other hand, this has been a continuing issue and the neighbors don't seem to see the problem.

Any advice? I'm googling solutions as well. 

Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I would consider talking to your neighbor first about taking care of it from their side.

Had their dog gotten into your yard, I would tell you to absolutely call animal control. However, since your dog got into their yard, technically it is you who failed to control your dog in this case.

I'm so glad to hear she's okay! Is there anything more you can do to block that area from your dogs? Garden fencing? Chicken wire?
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Aw man, poor Loki. I'm glad he's okay, all things considered. I've never dealt with anything like this before but since it's a recurring issue and you've tried other solutions, I'd try to get the neighbor involved.

• Options
    Since your dog was in the neighbors yard, I don't think there is anything animal control can or will do.  I think your best bet is to repair the fence, either with or without the neighbors assistance.  In the meantime, nail a board over the hole so the other dog can't move it or get tethers for your dogs so that they can be out in the yard but can't get access to the hole in the fence.  Glad your dog is OK!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sparent2010sparent2010 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Try adding chicken wire and dig down a few inches so it is under ground. You can also use a thicker wood like 2x4s and use wood screws. That would be harder to break through than the typical 1x6 wood fencing planks.

The wire will help offer some protection and if you backfill under the fence with rocks and the wire goes undergorund it will be much harder for it to keep breaking the fence. Plus the wire would keep your dog in the yard. I hope Loki is ok!

I advise against calling animal control at this point. Your dog was in their yard. Other way around you could and they would issue a warning.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Yea, I think our annoyance is that we have tried fixing the fence and their dog keeps breaking it. When the neighbors get home we'll go talk to them about a solution. 

For now, we're about to move all the dirt I dug for the new garden in front of the hole. It's a lot of dirt so hopefully they won't be able to get through it before we're able to come up with a more permanent solution. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:b47a57de-276b-418a-bd53-e2c8971c4f4f">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would consider talking to your neighbor first about taking care of it from their side. Had their dog gotten into your yard, I would tell you to absolutely call animal control. However, since your dog got into their yard, technically it is you who failed to control your dog in this case. I'm so glad to hear she's okay! Is there anything more you can do to block that area from your dogs? Garden fencing? Chicken wire?
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

Ditto all of this. Hopefully your neighbor will be willing to work with you on a solution. Good luck & I'm glad your pup is okay!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would probably put some chicken wire on your side of the fence. I would talk to the neighbors as well. I wouldn't expect much from them, but when it's their dog butting into the fence I would want to talk to them. In the end, you'll probably have to do something on your end.

I'm sorry about your dog. That's really shiitty. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:b884fde7-5a63-42a9-8776-f542504b9429">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have an ongoing similar situation. We have a tall privacy fence and our neighbors dogs have knocked a board loose trying to get to Moose. They aren't very pleasant people AT ALL, so we decided to just fix it on our end instead of trying to get them involved. Could you put something to block the hole on BOTH sides of the fence?
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>We did that with one hole and the darn dog created a new one! I am interested to try the chicken wire idea. We did use thick wood before but the way the fence is built there was no great way to screw it in and their dog was able to knock it off just a few days later. </div>
  • Options
    I definately second the chicken wire suggestion.  I have a 6 pound papillon, and he could squeeze through the tiniest hole under our fence. We went to Lowe's and bought some chicken wire and stapled it to the fence. We left enough to bend slightly over the ground, which also stops them from trying to dig out.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    jcb, the invisible fence is a great idea! We'll definitely look into that. Thank you! I wouldn't have thought about that one. 
  • Options
    An invisible fence will prevent your dog from getting out but not theirs from getting in, but if their dog has never ventured into your yard then it would be worth looking into.
  • Options
    I would file a complaint with the police department just so it is on record, take pics of your dog & go in to make the complaint, because if it happens again & this time your dog gets killed you have absolutely no proof on anything. If you don't want them to make a big deal they won't but at least it will be on file. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So far, their dog isn't able to fit under the fence. It is a concern of ours though since she is the instigator. We're considering, just to be on the safe side, doing a combo of all the fence related advice yall gave. With the warm weather coming, we want to be able to let our dogs out into our yard and not be worried about them. 
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:c19858ee-6fca-4ee1-a786-f3c97f4a4242">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would file a complaint with the police department just so it is on record, take pics of your dog & go in to make the complaint, because if it happens again & this time your dog gets killed you have absolutely no proof on anything. If you don't want them to make a big deal they won't but at least it will be on file. 
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]

I don't think a police report will help. Her dog got into the neighbors yard. The dog was defending its property (or likely was being defensive) and there is really nothing that they can do.

Eta: they meaning the police.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:c19858ee-6fca-4ee1-a786-f3c97f4a4242">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would file a complaint with the police department just so it is on record, take pics of your dog &<strong> go in to make the complaint, </strong>because if it happens again & this time your dog gets killed you have absolutely no proof on anything. If you don't want them to make a big deal they won't but at least it will be on file. 
    About what? <div>Her dog being in their yard? </div><div>
    </div><div>I second the chicken wire. But is there a way to "fence" (Temp or invisible) part of the yard away from where the other dog is? </div><div>That way when she's outside she's away from where the other dog is. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:c19858ee-6fca-4ee1-a786-f3c97f4a4242">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would file a complaint with the police department just so it is on record, take pics of your dog & go in to make the complaint, because if it happens again & this time your dog gets killed you have absolutely no proof on anything. If you don't want them to make a big deal they won't but at least it will be on file. 

Its always the Pit's fault...smh. 
    1.  Her dog was in the pit's yard.  He was defending his property.
    2. If the pit wanted to kill her dog, her dog would be dead.
    3. Their dog is NOT the aggressor if YOUR dog was in THEIR yard...Their dog is just bigger and louder and scarier.

Here is what you can do...
    Their dog IS destroying Your property.. that is the fence.  Id go talk to them about the situation from their side and let them know that this is the second time that you have fixed the fence at your cost and their dog continues to destroy it.  Perhaps if they see there will be a financial repercussion they will try to do whatever they can from their end.  perhaps you can go 50/50 on the chicken wire.  Just let them know this is an issue you want to resolve TOGETHER
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:1ff93947-5d28-43fd-8fde-06b995f08d4a">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice : <strong>Its always the Pit's fault...smh. </strong> 1.  Her dog was in the pit's yard.  He was defending his property. 2. If the pit wanted to kill her dog, her dog would be dead. 3. Their dog is NOT the aggressor if YOUR dog was in THEIR yard...Their dog is just bigger and louder and scarier. Here is what you can do... Their dog IS destroying Your property.. that is the fence.  Id go talk to them about the situation from their side and let them know that this is the second time that you have fixed the fence at your cost and their dog continues to destroy it.  Perhaps if they see there will be a financial repercussion they will try to do whatever they can from their end.  perhaps you can go 50/50 on the chicken wire.  Just let them know this is an issue you want to resolve TOGETHER
    Posted by RealHappyGal[/QUOTE]
    I think people's responses would have been the same no matter what the breed. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:11553558-14f8-421e-8238-0200a36786f1">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice : I think people's responses would have been the same no matter what the breed. 
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

from my entire response thats all you could pull from to comment on?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:52f61062-7148-4795-9e46-5c02e13d2127">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice : from my entire response thats all you could pull from to comment on?

That part stood out to me, too. I love pit bulls, and I hate the bad reputation that they have, but I agree that the neighbor's dog could've been any breed and the responses would've been the same.
  • Options
    I have had 2 pits and it just seems that it always has to be mentioned if its a "pit" that did something.  had it been another breed it may not had been mentioned at all. OP didnt even find it necessary to mentiont the breed of HER dog at all. 
    1/2 the time its not even a pit.  could be a mastif or an ABT .... 

All of that is beside the point.  The ACTUAL ADVICE that was given in my post was address the fact that the neighbors dog keeps breaking the fence.  That is what their dog is doing that is wrong.  That is what the neighbors should be held accountable for. 

Im sure the temptation is there to again ignore the 2nd ...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:a10aa87f-a200-4b7d-bd72-d263688c91b3">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]  The ACTUAL ADVICE that was given in my post was address the fact that the neighbors dog keeps breaking the fence.<strong> </strong>

Just because someone didn't comment on every point made in your post doesn't mean that they didn't read the whole thing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:a10aa87f-a200-4b7d-bd72-d263688c91b3">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have had 2 pits and it just seems that it always has to be mentioned if its a "pit" that did something.  had it been another breed it may not had been mentioned at all. OP didnt even find it necessary to mentiont the breed of HER dog at all.  1/2 the time its not even a pit.  could be a mastif or an ABT ....  All of that is beside the point.  <strong>The ACTUAL ADVICE that was given in my post was address the fact that the neighbors dog keeps breaking the fence.  That is what their dog is doing that is wrong.  That is what the neighbors should be held accountable for.  Im sure the temptation is there to again ignore the 2nd ..</strong>.
    I didn't comment on your "actual advice" because I (and other PPs) already said basically the same thing. <div>No one has to comment on every part of your post. </div>
  • Options
    yea,  i missed where any told her to seek the damages related to the fence... i read alot about chicken wire tho
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:d8749eb8-a541-4187-b50b-778ecd9fb941">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]yea,  i<strong> missed where any told her to seek the damages related to the fence...</strong> i read alot about chicken wire tho
    Read again maybe? <div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:19df8a55-306f-46ed-811f-a48a577d2150">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice : Read again maybe? 

yea, i did...u want to quote it for me, since u can see it and i cant
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm stepping away from this one because I feel like you just want to argue...and I'm not all about that. 

Multiple PP's told her to go talk to her neighbors and ask them to go fix it on their side of the fence. 
  • Options
    If the fence is the neighbors' fence....the only thing you can do is put up your own fence.

if the fence is your fence, and their dog continues to ruin it, then you need to talk to the neighbors.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:e2bec0c7-4000-4b50-ba11-a63f3d12b40e">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm stepping away from this one because I feel like you just want to argue...and I'm not all about that.  Multiple PP's told her to go talk to her neighbors and ask them to go fix it on their side of the fence. 

LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Sorry, I mentioned the neighbors breed and not mine as well. I love pitts too, if they are raised well. We've had multiple pitts over for play dates. This one is clearly there to just guard the yard. It is an outside only dog. I did mention that if she had wanted to kill my dog (a chihuaha mix, just so you know, since I didn't mention it in my OP) she would have. 

It is a shared fence. We've temporarily fixed it with a mound of dirt. We're going to Lowes tomorrow to get chicken wire as well. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dog-biteneighbor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:39801e31-b01e-41e2-ad6b-bea1d2245054Post:68da5e7c-f6fe-4bb2-addc-f3a5ad42675a">Re: Dog Bite/Neighbor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, I mentioned the neighbors breed and not mine as well. I love pitts too, if they are raised well. We've had multiple pitts over for play dates. This one is clearly there to just guard the yard. It is an outside only dog. I did mention that if she had wanted to kill my dog (a chihuaha mix, just so you know, since I didn't mention it in my OP) she would have.  <strong>It is a shared fence. </strong>We've temporarily fixed it with a mound of dirt. We're going to Lowes tomorrow to get chicken wire as well. 
    Posted by ArynBaker[/QUOTE]
    Shared fences are a pain IMO. But TBH, I think your best bet (least conflict) is to keep fixing it yourself if the lady is really that unhelpful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards