Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Short photo time?

Ok, so we will only have about 1 hour, perhaps 15 min. more to get photos b/w ceremony & reception.  I'm really against the idea of doing the "first look" photos before the ceremony. I'm trying to figure out how to get plenty of photos in a short amount of time.  I plan to get pics with my girls before the ceremony and have family all assembled and ready to go for pics after the ceremony (no receiving line).  Im also ok with stepping out of the reception at times to get photos.  Did you have a short time to get photos?  How did you handle it?  I have less than 2 weeks to decide on this- yikes!

Re: Short photo time?

• Bill PottsBill Potts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try shooting your family photos before hand. Keep your left hand hidden by the bouquet. Have your groom do the sme thing, Have him do his family photos first, whileyou are getting ready. Do the bridal portrait first and wedding party first.

Then afterwards, you only need to do the bride and groom, entire wedding party, bride groom and both sets of parents. That should leave you at least anhour to get the more creative shots.
  • Angelmc8Angelmc8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips!  Good to know it can be done.  I was really stressing about this. 
  • edited December 2011
    We have a short gap between ceremony and reception. Our photographer suggested that we do some group formals before the ceremony. For example, he photographed my side of the family first then his side of the family. After the ceremony, we photograph all the family together. This really help. However, since our guest list was over 120, we still had issues with photographing the guests after the ceremony. The photographer set up a photo booth at the reception for any guests that wanted their pictures taken.
    At the reception, we were pulled away in short intervals to have pictures of me and my hushand.

• Angelmc8Angelmc8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So did that work out well biolfu?  Glad to know that it can be done...this was what I was envisioning for my night, where we would slip away for a few minutes to get pics down the hall, etc.  Did you feel like you were missing the party or did it go ok? 

We won't be doing pics of all the guests and I am going to let the family know to go to a designated spot right after the ceremony to get pics done right away. 
  • edited December 2011
    Be sure to give your photographer a list of the exact shots you want, with the names and relation of that person.  Put that list in order of importance.  That way if time runs away with you, you'll at least get the most important shots.  This cuts down on the time it takes to set up shots dramatically.  Let people know in advance that they will be in photos and where they should meet up.  Also, why are you against a big reveal?  At first I was very against it, but it ended up being one of the greatest parts of my day.  It was so wonderful to have some time just me and my husband.  You won't have much of that type of quality time with him that day.  You might want to check out my blog post on the benefits of the big reveal: http://fuccisphotos.com/blog/?p=125
  • 13b13b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really all depends on your photographer. Some photographers require a minimum of 1 hour for formals and portraits. Some can accomplish all the formals in a half an hour. Work with your photographer to coordinate the most effective way to shoot the family formals as fast as possible so that you can have more time to do your bride and groom portraits in multiple locations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards