Just Engaged and Proposals

Is it too early for engagement photos?

My fiance and I have been engaged for over a year now. Two black fridays ago he proposed to me, and just this past month we set our wedding date, October, 19th 2013. It's two years away, but I've all ready waited for one year and I feel like I need this to kind of help spice things up, you know? Not to say things are bad but just have something to help with my HORRIBLE IMPATIENCE! lol. I want it to be today. But I want to get them out of the way, but I really would like to do this to kind of help get the excitement up as well that's settled. What do you think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it too early for engagement photos?

• I would wait.

And besides, when you are closer to booking your photographer, you may find one that has a great package deal for e-pics and wedding pics. Or you may go with an entirely different photograhper.
  • I would wait.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I would wait. My wedding is 15 months away and I'm dying to do e-pics too but I think it's better to wait for the same reason PP's said.

If you want, you could have a friend or a student photographer take some pics just for fun. You don't need an occassion to have couple's pictures taken, I just wouldn't use them in a guest book or anything because they'll be from so long ago by the time of the wedding.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • i must not really understand the point of e-pics..i thought you would get them done soon after you get engaged-you know when it's still new

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_early-engagement-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:5a87064e-94fa-4e44-9320-15b176db8df3Post:4c6ae0aa-08dd-4fc2-a899-891ce3987c93">Re: Is it too early for engagement photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i must not really understand the point of e-pics..i thought you would get them done soon after you get engaged-you know when it's still new
    Posted by leese19[/QUOTE]

They are used for save the dates or pictures used at the wedding. Usually your photographer will give you free e-pics as a get to know them type of thing before the wedding.

If you have a long engagement (years) then you won't look like the pictures by the time you use them.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • My fiance and I got engaged last month, and did our engagemsnt photos this month, to have them picked out and ready for May, which will mark one Year untill our wedding. For out out of state guest, they will serve as a save the date as well. We are also planning an engagement party in May to introduce our two families so things aren;t to awkward at the wedding. I had a blast doing mine, and look forward to seeing the beginign of our engagement in the furture.
    weather our apperance changes or not has nothing to do with capturing the first moment and feelings of our engagement.

• breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    As a photographer (and a bride) I would say that engagement photos can be done whenever you want. Some people like to use them for save the dates, but I didn't use mine for my save the dates. 

There is no rule as to when you need to get them done. Do them when you want. If you want nice photos of you and your honey right now then do it.

If you want to use them for your guestbook and the other things the PPs have said, then maybe it's worth waiting, but for us it doesn't really matter because we're not doing a traditional guestbook, etc.

You can always get portraits done at any point. You can hire a photographer and do "engagement photos" now, and then when you get closer to the wedding and choose your wedding photographer do an "engagement session pt 2" with them to make sure you like their style and you can work well with them.

I did an engagement session with a couple that we're friends with a few weeks after their engagement. I don't shoot weddings so I wouldn't be their wedding photographer anyway. When they picked their wedding photographer she gave them a package with an engagement session and they are going to do a second engagement session closer to the wedding.
  • I think you can do them whenever you want. If you're that impatient to do something and you're excited, do them now...what the heck haha. I would. I really don't change though, I look the same as I did 2 years ago so if you're worried about looking really different then wait. But I say do them when you want!! Sealed
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you plan on changing your image (do you want to lose weight? do you change your hairstyle-cut and color- often?)? If not... I would say do them whenever you'd like. Personally, I've looked the same for the past 5 years even if I change my hair but some people look totally different. Is there a particular season or place you'd like to shoot photos? I think it'd be fun to do summer photos if you're going to have a fall wedding.. plus, like you said, it's adding some fun while you wait [: 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards