Maryland-Baltimore

A bit disappointed.

So I went out to The Mansion at Valley Country Club last night and completely fell in love with the venue (even more so than I had before). And I had a date promised to me via e-mail. It was fine until the other woman who works there (I don't remember her name and not Debbie Donovan) said she had just penciled someone else in. (Debbie is still going to try to get me that date and time because she had talked to us first and just hadn't gotten a chance to write it in their calendar. 

Anyway I hope it works out. 

Otherwise its back to square one. Its hard to find an affordable venue for 200 people to have your ceremony and reception in Baltimore, that isn't tacky or ugly. (idk how many places we've been to that have bad carpet or curtains and decor).

We also looked at Overbrooks Mansion & they were pretty affordable and very beautiful but my cousin was married there, so my Mom doesn't want to use the same venue. 

Here's hoping!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A bit disappointed.

• edited December 2011
    Good luck with the date! 

Have you thought about the Baltimore Museum of Industry as a venue?  My best friend just got married there last weekend.  It is an absolutely awesome venue, and I believe it's pretty affordable (great and free parking, too).  I loved her wedding!  The ceremony was outside in the pavillion, and the reception was "inside" immediately following, but you could still go outside and hang out, there were cocktail tables out there and a bar, and the great part was you could still hear the band and everything.  I know that they have many different caterers on their preferred vendor list at various price points (they used Chef's Expressions which are on the more expensive end I believe but were able to save a lot of $$ by doing the alcohol themselves).  It was all in all a totally awesome venue.  You should definitely take a look if you haven't already.  Oh yeah and they had 220 at their wedding. 

It can definitely be tough trying to find a space to accomodate large numbers within a per-head budget.  I know... we are having 207. 

Keep us updated!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Miss ... Mrs.
  • edited December 2011
    Also.... I don't know how far out of Baltimore you want to go but another one of my bridesmaids got married at Camp Fretterd in '07... it's basicallya little military base/training facility right outside of Reisterstown on Rt. 32.  They have a really nice "ballroom"/banquet facility called the Weinberg Center, it's all wood inside like a big cabin and it has a huge fireplace, which is pretty (and a nice deck off the balcony as well for people to party and hang out... they actually put the bar out there I believe and it was cold, early March but people were still outside!).  What's really nice is they also have about 20 guest rooms off the Weinberg Center, and we were able to get ready there the day of the wedding, and spend the night there the night after (they have a "bridal suite" and everything.  They were married in the chapel on the grounds at Camp Fretterd, and it's a really nice little chapel, too.  They had about 180-190 guests, and I think they invited 210. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah my mom doesn't want to go too far out of the Baltimore area just out of convenience she likes VCC (20k) the best even though it is substantially more expensive than Overhills(15k) (idk why I called it overbrooks before). I've been really curious about the BMI cause I saw some things done there and it looked cool. I just am not sure if that will also fit within the price point.   And I saw the one girl on here getting married at the sports and legends museum which I also thought was interesting but I think 200+ people would be too large for that venue. I just got really stressed this evening. When we were going over everything.  It seems like my date is already booked up at a lot of places and my fiance is not willing to budge on it LOL.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just booked Gramercy Mansion (in Stevenson near Greenspring Station) as our venue---it's gorgeous and holds 200-250 max. if you get a tent! 
    We don't plan on using a tent but I could see how if it's necessary and if the tent's locations is chosen well it could be really attractive. 
    The mansion's Tudor style and is really well decorated/furnished in a gorgeous, classic way. If you haven't already, I recommend checking it out!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah one of my best friends had booked her wedding there and then they broke up. But smoking is not allowed at that venue and like 50% of my fiance's friends and family smoke so it wouldn't work. :(  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • delluolmdelluolm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    VCC mansion was also my first choice at one point, and they were booked. Have you checked our Grey Rock? It was my 2nd choice after it (until I found Tremont but that is expensive). The lady, Austen, at Grey Rock is SO NICE and helpful, I felt bad telling her no! Let me know if you want her contact info, I thought Grey Rock was pretty!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah one of my cousins got married @ Grey Rock. Which was nice. I'm just wondering what it will cost. VCC is a little out of my price range but my mother is more willing to pay the extra money because of how convenient it will be for the guests to find. Not to mention the service they provide. (I'm still holding out for it)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What's your date?  If you don't mind me asking. 

There's also Maryland Golf and Country Club, it's out here in Harford County but is very convenient to the Rt. 543 exit off I-95 (exit 80 I believe).  There are about 4 or 5 hotels at that exit, as well.  If your wedding is during a season where you could do an outdoor wedding, the course is a beautiful location for a ceremony (we actually have a friend of the family getting married there July 31, 2 weekends after ours).  We looked seriously into having our wedding there.  My grandparents have been members for 20+ years, and we had my bridal shower there (it was awesome). 

Bulle Rock is another golf club up here, it's in Havre De Grace, as well as Swan Harbor Farm (also in Havre de Grace).  It might be a tight squeeze to get 200 in Bulle Rock, but if your wedding is seasonal (late spring, summer, early fall) you could have an outdoor wedding at Swan Harbor right on the water.  It's really pretty.  Don't know prices for sure, but they are in the same ballpark (if not less) than MGCC, VCC, and Overhills. 
  • delluolmdelluolm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I pulled out the spreadsheet my Mom made! Grey Rock site fee is $2,300, which was the 2nd cheapest site fee we found after Hayfields, which was $2,000 site fee. Of course VCC has zero site fee. I don't know how much per person it is, but it is Simple Elegant catering.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The poster above me mentioned Hayfields - they are definitely worth checking out.  They're a country club in the Hunt Valley area.  I attended a wedding there, and they have a huge space, and the food was amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advise guys! Swan Harbor doesn't have my date available only daytime weddings at a few places and I am not a fan of daytime weddings (only cause drinking needs to be done at night time). I was not a fan of Bulle Rock really (and I've heard some pretty bad things about them).

I just emailed the people about Grey Rock and now I'm looking into Hayfields but it looks like you have to be a member to even access their site? Any help with this?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you look up at the very top of the page and slide your mouse over Club Info, there's a drop down where you can click and get to Dining & Events, then Weddings.

Here's a direct link to the wedding page:
    http://hayfieldscc.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=82906

• edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at Hayfields CC!  Their prices are very reasonable.  The website is not stellar for photos, I highly recommend visiting in person.  It's absolutely GORGEOUS!!  If you need anymore information, just let me know!
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_bit-disappointed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:11a7b485-5dba-4a33-97f1-b1ad3f86c784Post:482f076b-a249-46cc-973f-2293143e2d71">Re: A bit disappointed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah my mom doesn't want to go too far out of the Baltimore area just out of convenience she likes VCC (20k) the best even though it is substantially more expensive than Overhills(15k) (idk why I called it overbrooks before). I've been really curious about the BMI cause I saw some things done there and it looked cool. I just am not sure if that will also fit within the price point.   And I saw the one girl on here getting married at the sports and legends museum which I also thought was interesting but I think 200+ people would be too large for that venue. I just got really stressed this evening. When we were going over everything.  It seems like my date is already booked up at a lot of places and my fiance is not willing to budge on it LOL.
    Posted by Empuesch[/QUOTE]

Hey! I'm having my wedding at the Sports Legends Museum, and unfornately it is best for weddings of 100 people and under with the way the rooms are broken up. We're only having around 75 guests.  I was just at a larger wedding (200-250) at VCC and the only problem was they had the ceremony inside, and we had to sit waaaay back and couldn't see or hear anything at all. Otherwise it was great!

When we were still looking at venues I absolutely fell in love with the BMI, but our wedding would have been way to small in that venue... but it would be great for accomodating a large wedding. The space is a massive, and i think you could save $$ on decor since the there is so much interesting stuff to look at.

Good Luck!
    Married Bio!

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans." -John Lennon
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maryland-baltimore_bit-disappointed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:85Discussion:11a7b485-5dba-4a33-97f1-b1ad3f86c784Post:18f61efd-54dc-437d-9b8f-a44ca3b49bbb">Re: A bit disappointed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A bit disappointed. : Hey! I'm having my wedding at the Sports Legends Museum, and unfornately it is best for weddings of 100 people and under with the way the rooms are broken up. We're only having around 75 guests.  I was just at a larger wedding (200-250) at VCC and the only problem was they had the ceremony inside, and we had to sit waaaay back and couldn't see or hear anything at all. Otherwise it was great! When we were still looking at venues I absolutely fell in love with the BMI, but our wedding would have been way to small in that venue... but it would be great for accomodating a large wedding. The space is a massive, and i think you could save $$ on decor since the there is so much interesting stuff to look at. Good Luck!
    Posted by summerbelle.winterbelle[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah thats how I feel about VCC and the BMI no decorating required just small simple flowers. (I just don't know if i'd be able to incorporate my owl theme into the bmi). </div><div>
    </div><div>Hayfields looks really nice with their pics, but it says $116 per person (which may be a little much except that looks like it includes bar). IDK but i'm willing to check it out.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks ladies you're awesome!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    EEmpuesch - yes, that price includes top shelf bar for 4 hours, and you can choose to have a signature cocktail.  

Compared to a few other venues I looked at, Hayfields actually has a cheaper site fee, and you don't have to deal with renting tables, chairs, linens, china, etc which saves a lot of money and headache.   

• edited December 2011
    BTW, when are you looking to be married?

• edited December 2011
    9-10-11 (My fiancée actually picked the date out of a list and he refuses to budge on it,  i think it was his way of assisting with the planning).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They're sample package might be $116, but caterers are almost always willing to negotiate.  Figure out how much you are comfortable spending per person for the food and bar combined, and tell them the price, and find out what they can do for you.  THere's no harm in asking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards