Pre-wedding Parties

Throwing a "NO GAMES ALLOWED" shower need IDEAS!!!

I am throwing a shower for one of my best friends and I have everything planned except for what to do AT THE SHOWER!  I need some ideas from people please.  The Bride has told me that NO GAMES ARE ALLOWED at the shower because she thinks they are dumb.  i realize that shower games ar corney, but they are icbreakers and fill the time.  We are hosting the shower at a hotel in a private room and will be having appetizers catered through the hotel.  I had an idea of doing a wine tasting but it will not be allowed since the hotel required us to order everything through them.  The shower is a "beach theme" as it is a destination wedding.  Anyone have some ideas from showers they have been to?

Re: Throwing a "NO GAMES ALLOWED" shower need IDEAS!!!

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like she's looking to just mingle and open gifts.  I don't know that there's anything "wrong" with that at all.  Just make sure you have a good assembly line of friends to assist the bride with opening gifts and writing them down so the gift opening goes quickly and smoothly.
  • edited December 2011

Maybe do a photo booth and design the frames with beach theme before the shower then guest can place photo in frame and that can be guest gift for coming or have them design their own frames? Or you can have really beach theme props for them to take picture with? JUST AN IDEA to kill time!

• edited December 2011
    I think the best showers are the ones where the guests are allowed to relax and socialize. Sometimes scheduled activities just interrupt the flow of conversation.

• melanah21melanah21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to my cousin's shower who set a timer for every few minutes. If the bride was opening your gift when it went off then you got a prize. It was fun and not corny like the typical games and everyone enjoyed it.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with your friend.  Toilet paper dresses, questions about her sex life, and purse diving are awful, awful, and did I mention awful?

Treat the guests like the adults that they are.  They know how to mingle, chat, and socialize at a shower.  Let people chat until all guests have arrived.  Make the announcement that your friend will begin opening gifts in 5 minutes, so grab and drink and some food and get comfortable.

It will be lovely.

FWIW:  My DD did NOT want games at all.  At.  All.  Her (pushy) FSIL decided that, contrary to what DD asked, she must have games.  After all, what did DD know about what she might want?

So she created games.  And they went over like the proverbial lead balloon. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    You can have little optional "stations" for guests:
    -fill out advice cards and put them in a basket (winner could get a prize)
    -fill out cards with favorite memory of the bride
    -can you asks guests to bring recipes, display them, and have folks vote in a fave
    -have photos of the bride at different ages displayed and have guests guess the ages
    -do you think you can still sneak in a few of bottles of wine and do the tasting?
    HTH.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is an idea that is not really a game, and it is done throughout the entire party.  Give everyone a necklace - ribbon with a toy wedding ring on it to wear when they arrive - tell them all they cannot say the word "wedding" or whatever "buzz word" you choose - if they do, the person that "catches" them saying it get their necklace!  At the end of the party, whomever ends up with the most gets a prize!

I know, it could be considered a game, but I have done this when hosting baby showers (the buzz word was "baby") and it was alot of fun!  We all visited and had a great time, and we would be trying to get the one with the most necklaces to say the word!

Just an idea and a great ice breaker!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards