Flowers

Flowers in Winter

Hello,

I'm getting married in Jasper Alberta on Dec 12, 2012. I have talked to a florist and a decoractor that is also a florist and gotten different opinions. One tells me that the flowers will be just fine outdoors and the other says that they will turn brown when I come back inside. The ceremony (dependant on weather) we are hoping to be outdoors as well as the pictures. Then the reception is indoor in the evening.

So far the planing is tranditional in some ways and not in others. I'm open to fake flowers or other options for bouquets. We are trying out best to do this on a budget and the flowers we were quoted will work within the budget but I don't want to waste my money.

Hoping I can get some advice on the subject,
Thanks

Re: Flowers in Winter

• It really depends on how cold it is outside and for how long the flowers will be outside.  It also depends on the types of flowers that you use.

Some flowers if left in really cold temperatures for too long and then brought back inside to warm up will turn brown but I really don't think if you are only outside for a little bit this will happen.

If you use really delicate flowers then they have more of a chance of getting 'burnt" by the cold, but like I said, they would need to be in that really cold temperature for a good amount of time.

I used to work at a florist and when we delivered flowers to people's homes and they weren't home and the weather was cool enough (30's or 40's) we would just leave them someplace safe outside.  I know it gets a lot colder in Alberta but I don't think you need to worry too much.

As far as your ceremony being outside, I would rethink that due to your guests comfort.  If you were invited to a wedding and when you arrived saw that the ceremony would be outdoors in December would you be happy about that?  Unless you plan on giving every guest a blanket or something to cover up with I would rethink that idea.

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    December in Canada is no time for an outdoor wedding.  You may say, "Well, it's just a ten minute ceremony," but keep in mind that your guests will arrive well before the starting time, some as much as 30 minutes before.  And most ceremonies don't start exactly on time, so people could be out in the cold for 40 minutes or so.  You might want to rethink this.
  • Thanks for your comments ladies but we have thought of our guests and they are all very aware of the circumstances. Our wedding is very small and really only includes family.

I asked about flowers not to be accused of being inconsiderate. We have the idea of heaters and everything in mind, as well I stated if the weather is appropriate. I'm not that insensitive to drag my grandmother outdoors in -15 weather.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_flowers-in-winter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:b52ee715-0c70-4365-8246-5919178023baPost:46e946b7-ad5c-4205-af89-c21721c50348">Re: Flowers in Winter</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your comments ladies but we have thought of our guests and they are all very aware of the circumstances. Our wedding is very small and really only includes family. I<strong> asked about flowers not to be accused of being inconsiderate</strong>. We have the idea of heaters and everything in mind, as well I stated if the weather is appropriate. I'm not that insensitive to drag my grandmother outdoors in -15 weather.
    Posted by Wyanita[/QUOTE]

You posted to a public forum which means each poster can comment how they see fit.  Even if your family is aware of the situation, they will most likely not come out and tell you straight to your face that it is a bad idea.  What is the cut off point in regards to temperature 20, 30, 40 degrees F?  I'm sorry but sitting outside for 30 minutes in 30 degree wheather in a dress is not my idea of a good time. 

• I'm not going to waste my time argueing my family with you as you don't know them. I did post in a public forum you are completely correct.

Thank you for you input on flowers.
  • floral coolers run between 36-40 F.....as long as the temp and wind chill isn't below the freezing mark you will be ok...otherwise  use lots of winter greens berries ....crysanthemums will tolerate the cold better than the majority of other flowers.  The only problem will be knowing far enough ahead about the weather for that day....if you don;t like stress use the greens and add a few realistic silks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards