Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Catholic churches in Center City?

Hey everyone! My fiance and I are having our 2012 wedding reception at the Knowlton Mansion in NE Philadelphia. Our usual church in Manayunk is booked for that day and so we are looking at churches in Center City for the ceremony. I know the Basilica is there, but it costs more than we want to spend.

Has anyone every been to Saint Patrick's church near Rittenhouse Square? Or know of any other catholic churches in the area?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic churches in Center City?

• luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at St. Pat's near Rittenhouse.  It was 1000$ to reserve the church and you have to use their cantor and organist, who were both lovely.  Everyone gets married in the upstairs church (1:30, 3, or 6pm ceremony's) which is beautiful. 

My only complaint is that it was a hugely impersonal ceremony.  You get the standard mass booklet of readings, vows, etc, and you can't deviate from the book at all.  There is also a selection of about 12 songs/hymns that you are allowed to use.  We met with the priest there about 2-3 times before the ceremony and I always felt like he was rushing us out the door.  Someone at the church also yelled at our wedding planner when she called to ask a question. 

So, yes it was beautiful but if I had to do this again, I might reconsider this church.  I think some other girls here have had better luck with the Old City churches?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Old City is another good option. I'll think about that one.

If we choose St Pat's, the preist that would marry us is a family friend that is actually pretty high up in the archdiocese of Philadelphia. He said that he was familiar with the church and could get special permission to do the ceremony for us (and give a more personal sermon). With that said, I'm glad to know that they don't give you many options for songs/readinds to choose from. I had no idea. Thanks so much for the heads up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at St. Rita of Cascia church on Broad St.  It's absolutely beautiful inside and they anticipate to have a brand new parking lot right next to the church which is great for a center city wedding by 2012.  I also looked into St. John the Evangelist (near the convention center), Old St. Joe's, and Old St. Mary's.  I've heard similar negative reviews about St. Patrick's so I didn't look there.

Father Joe from St. Rita's was incredibly kind and explained the process and rules to us.  You shouldn't have a problem having your family's priest officiate because they require that you make arrangements for that on your own.  The latest time you can have your wedding is at 2pm.

• angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out St. Augustine. If it doesn't have to be downtown St. Catherine of Sienna is nice, on Rt. 13 in the Northeast.
  • edited December 2011
    I also got married at St Ritas.   Beautiful church.  Father Joe was great to deal with and as YSL said, you HAVE to have your own priest anyway .. ours drove down for the mass no problem.  

Pics are in my link at the bottom of the page.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ysl and oodsie! I'll take a look at St. Rita's. How is the parking there? (I know you mentioned a lot is being built - but just in case it's not ready in time...) All of our guests are travelling and my side of the family is from a small town that is not used to city driving.

luvdelilah - aside from the ceremony seeming impersonal, did you enjoy your St. Pat's wedding overall? I'm in love with the interior of the church and having our own preist is ideal. But I'm not sure if the other things you mentioned are a deal-breaker or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    There is a parking lot currently, I think they are just expanding/resurfacing it.   
  • edited December 2011
    Oh also with regards to St. Augustine, it is absolutely beautiful.  However, I inquired about my wedding there as well and was told they were only taking parishioners at the moment since they had alot of young parishioners looking to get married soon. 

and parking lot at St. Rita's...like Ooodsie said, they have it now but it's all gravel at the moment.  They will resurface, I was told, by May of 2012.
  • luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Generally, I liked our wedding at St. Pats.  We have beautiful pictures from the ceremony.  Also, the cantor and organist were fantastic and we hired a trumpet player so the music was beautiful.  Who doesn't want to walk down that aisle while a trumpet is playing??

I also loved that it was down the street from our reception site and easy walking distance to Center City for that weird downtime between ceremony and reception. 
    This might work for you since its a bit closer to Manayunk than Old City.  Not sure what your picture-taking ideas are, but you are also close to Rittenhouse park.  It gets crowded with bridal parties in the summer so we just looped up to the Art Museum instead.

The priest was the biggest (and probably only) disappointment.  I'd been going to St. Pat's for about 2 years before we got married and he was my "favorite" part - old-school mass, straight to the point sermons.  I really thought he would take some time to get to know us and give a personal mass - did not happen.  If they will let your family priest give the mass, I would definitely recommend St. Pat's!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We were married at Old St Joe's in Old City.  Parking isn't the best but our guests didn't seem to have any trouble finding parking nearby even for a Friday afternoon.
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • aliyamcaliyamc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Old St. Mary's - Old St. Joe's was our 1st choice but it was booked.  The parking is terrible but the church is great.  also fr. paul is awesome - very patient. (he's cool with your home church's pastor officiating as well) it is also relatively inexpensive. John the Evangelist seemed nice as well.

I had a chat with Fr. Joe @ St. Rita's he did seem super nice, but it was too far from our venue.  Our venue will allow guests to park for the ceremony.  (we're providing a shuttle for older folks b/w to get tot he reception from the church)
  • luvdelilah, did you get married at St. Pat's in the summer?  We are getting married there late August and I am concerned about the heat, as there is no a/c in the main church, though it looks like lots of brides got married there last summer, even in july.  any suggestions?
  • DanaG85DanaG85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    Does anyone know the cost of St. John the Evangelist in center city and times that they hold weddings on saturdays?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards