Connecticut
Options

Invitation Question

the uninvited RSVP got me thinking, when you are invitng someone and allowing them to have a guest do you address the invitation envelope to them "plus guest"?  And if you address to only their name that implies that only they are invited and cannot bring someone?  I'm a long ways away from invitations but I was just wondering!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker kayleigh-3-1 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Invitation Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What I did was:

Outer envelope: no (just their name and address; unless it's someone who's in a steady relationship and living together then both names should go on the outer envelope - the "guest" name on the next line under the recipient's name)

Inner envelope: Yes - Michael and Guest

If you know the guest's name, it's even better to use that
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invitation-question-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:2e4cff68-cadc-458b-941b-196956de664dPost:38b8fd60-c641-4bef-a47c-1b4c963e44ea">Re: Invitation Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I did was: Outer envelope: no (just their name and address; unless it's someone who's in a steady relationship and living together then both names should go on the outer envelope - the "guest" name on the next line under the recipient's name) Inner envelope: Yes - Michael and Guest If you know the guest's name, it's even better to use that
    Posted by Karebear852k3[/QUOTE]

Ditto this exactly except we didn't have an inner envelope so I wrote on the bellyband instead.  For the most part, we knew who the guest was and would use their name. But for our wedding party, we're giving a plus one regardless of if they're in a relationship so some of them don't even know who they're bringing. For them, we just addressed the outer envelope to them and then wrote "and guest" like PP said. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only had outer envelopes, well mine kinda unfolded & the invite was attached on the inside, but either way I didn't have an inner envelope so I did "and guest" if I didn't know the name on the outside of the envelope. I think I only did that with 1 or 2 people though. Most people I made an effort to find out who they'd be bringing so that name could be on the envelope.
    Pregnancy Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Technically the way you let a guest know s/he can bring a random date is on an enclosure card stating, "You are welcome to bring a guest.  Please indicate his/her name on the response card."

Many people (including myself) bent that rule.  We had inner envelopes and indicated that guests could bring a random date by writing 'and Guest' on the inner envelope.  If any guests were dating seriously and not living with the SO, we indicated the SO's name on the inner envelope. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards