Catholic Weddings

cathedral/chapel length veil

Hey ladies!  I just ordered my dress and I am now thinking about veils and hair styles.  I'm considering wearing a floor-length veil (or fingertip).  However, we are having a full mass, so I'm concerned about it getting in the way throughout the hour when I sit, stand, kneel, turn, etc.  I was just wondering if any of you all have worn or will be wearing a floor-length veil and if so, how did/will you keep this from happening?  Anyone have any advice?  Thanks in advance!Katie

Re: cathedral/chapel length veil

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I had a long train and my veil was about 6 inches longer than that. My MOH just helped me out whenever I needed to move. To be honest, the veil just hung on top of the skirt and didn't get in the way any more than the train did!We did a dedication to Mary and I had to step down off the main altar and walk around and up to the side altar and my MOH and husband just knew to help move things out of the way for me.I say wear what you want to wear, and just make sure others keep an eye out for you!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i honestly felt my train got in the way.  i couldnt have imagined having a veil down around my butt to contend with as well.  i also wanted to wear my veil for the entire day, not just the ceremony.  while my train was bustled, the veil couldnt have been, so a cathedral length would have meant taking it off for the reception.  you only get married once, i wanted to wear my $100 veil as long as possble!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the response, girls!  I definitely plan on asking my sisters (both are my MOH's) to help me with my train if they don't mind.  That's a good point about having to deal with both the train AND a long veil!  It might get pretty tricky.  I guess my main concern for a long veil is stepping or sitting on it by accident and it jerking my head back or pulling my hair, lol.  A lady at my dress shop suggested that if I do go with a floor-length one that I could wrap it around to the front where it drapes over my shoulder and the bend of my arm while sitting.  However, it almost sounds like too much trouble to me and I would rather not have to worry about it getting twisted or anything.  The more I think about it, fingertip length might be the way to go for me, but I do love the dramatic look of a longer one.  I'm so indecisive!
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got a waltz-length (ankle-length) because I wanted something long and dramatic, but didn't want something that will drag on the ground.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wear whatever you love.  it won't get in the way.
  • edited December 2011
    Make sure your FI knows how to help you with it. I kept sitting on mine which would yank my head back, and DH was oblivious to how to help me sit in it since we had never talked about it.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a finger tip veil but am toying with the idea of a cathedral lengith veil. I tried one on with my dress and loved the look - but didn't think of the annoyance of it. I found a site online that has inexpensive ones so I may buy one to wear for the ceremony and switch to my short one for the reception.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine hung about the same length as my dress and didn't bother me at all! H stepped on it during pictures and it ripped a bit so I took it off before the reception. See picture! [IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/20gec9h.jpg[/IMG]
  • scoffindafferscoffindaffer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hullo? That's what the MOH is for! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm actually wearing two veils.  I've always wanted a cathedral length one, but I fell in love with a shorter one while trying on dresses.  I was completely torn until the dress lady put a cathedral length one OVER the shorter one I was already wearing.  So...I'm going to wear both and take off the long one after the ceremony.  Won't stop it from getting in my way in the Church, lol, but I get the look I wanted and guests won't be tripping over it at the reception.
    August siggy challenge-Me and my MOH :-) image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards