Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

$10K wedding? Please HELP!!

So realistically we would love just a fun, pretty party for our wedding day. That's all we want. Easier said than done, this i know. 

We saw the 10k weddings on the budget page and read through the one in NYC on a Saturday afternoon in Central park with the reception at a restaraunt & thought that was a great idea with pretty views, decreasing the amnt needed in the budget for decor.
NYC is large and expensive but are we still unrealistic to think we could do something similar to that on the same budget in the Philly area?

We have seen $100/pp  at the cheapest but certainly need it smaller than that.  I'm on a starving teacher salary (if you even call it that) and although I would love to save money with a small wedding, I have a large Italian family and am already cutting a lot of people out with us having 100 guests.

After talking we realized we would prefer an evening wedding (although i know thats where prices can go up).  We are planning for a wedding on Sunday May 29,2011 which is Memorial Day weekend (which i know may also be difficult to find for that price on that weekend but it's unfortunately the only option for us). 

After creating our budget calculator through the Knot for a 10K wedding with 100 people, it says that:

-our venue would need to be at a budget of $800 
-Food & service at $3,000- averaging out to $30/pp  (this is a hard one for us, both being big foodies, it's hard to imagine something at that price tasting great! Our big criteria is people loving the food no matter where we are, and dancing all night.)
-Beverages and Bartenders at $800

-Cake $800, ceremony location $100 

These numbers don't need to be exact but if you have any ideas for us, that would be greatly appreciative! As previously stated we live in upstate NY, near Syracuse so we are totally unfamiliar with any areas that could be similiar to that listed in NYC for us to come up with ideas of our own.
I'm really starting to get nervous & almost frustrated that we're not going to be able to find a reasonable venue for that day and go into DEBT with a place we like, or have to end up habing the wedding in my mom's backyard or something (although not at all ugly, it's not something we'd prefer) 
  Thanks!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: $10K wedding? Please HELP!!

• edited December 2011
    Honestly - I'm not sure you're going to find this during peak wedding season unless you do a Sunday.  Even at that, I am not positive.  I think during off season it may be a stretch, but could be done if you chose an off season month such as Jan or Feb, and did a Friday night or Sunday afternoon..  It definitely has to be Memorial Day weekend?

Edit:  After re-reading, you have a lot of extra prices in there that you can avoid by going to an all inclusive place like a country club.    

If you have 10k total to work with, is that including things like your dress, photographer etc?  Or is that just your reception price?   If it's just reception, I would look into a country club... I know that the Jericho National golf course/country club (http://www.jerichonational.biz/catering.html)  in Washington Crossing PA has some great all inclusive wedding packages that come out to about $60-70 per person.. So if you have 100 people that's $7000 and you have 3k left to use for dress/photog etc... So in that case, I think it is doable if you go somewhere like that for the reception.
  • Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes that includes wedding dress and all extra's but i'm lucky to know some friends who i think could help me with some things they are great at such as videographer and photog.  My new sister in law also had one of her friends do her flowers  for cheap (not sure exactly how cheap that is) and they were GOREGOUS, she said we could use her too so that could help our budget as well.

Yeah, unfortunately our date is pretty much our only option. We had to do it on a Sunday b.c of FI's parents but we didn't want to do it a regular Sunday night (which we prefer, to the day) and have either no one come, or really have fun like we know they would, knowing they had to work the next morning.  So, we had to choose a weekend that had a Monday as a holiday. I found that in 2011 i think it was New years also that falls on a monday but my brother tried doing that for his wedding and said it was a lot more expensive b/c of that day and having people come in from way upstate, we'd worry that it could be bad weather that day and have the people that RSVP'd not be able to come, thus paying for empty seats.

Thanks, i'll look into the country club idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know someone who had a $10,000 budget and they had their reception at Maggiano's at KOP.  I don't have any more details but it might be worth checking into.  They got married in October I believe.
  • anjiela7anjiela7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is my budget. Not including my dress which was only 450.00 at Betty's Bridal in Collingdale. But I think we are getting married here www.kingsmillsinn.com we are planning to have the ceremony and all here and its coming to approx 10k. We are planning to do a sunday afternoon reception which saved money and we asked to do a banquet dinner as oppose to the wedding package which was about 20.00 pp more. We also talked him down to 125 people as oppose to the 150 minimum.
    This was our first location and fell in love. But we are looking around just to make sure we didnt miss anything. We are planning for a July 2011 wedding.
    Also try this place  http://societyhilldance.com/?page_id=3 The rental i was told was 1800.00 but u have to use their caterer I am not sure of the price for the caterer. if you come up with anything update it here I'm still looking around. 
  • debnchrisdebnchris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an appt to go talk to someone at the Kings Mill tuesday, I also called the OAKS --- I am trying to keep it below $75 pp and It seemed to me that the oaks included more in their price --- Kings mill is BEAUTIFUL though --- have you known of anyone that got married there (KM)
  • edited December 2011
    If you're ok traveling to South Jersey, check out some of the wineries.  Tomasello in Hammonton and Valenzano in Shamong.
  • edited December 2011
    Also you might want to check out Anthony's on the Delaware.  DH and I go there all the time for lunch/dinner.  It's in Bristol across from the river, so you could go get some nice shots on the water.  It's a two story restaurant with patios and a dancing area and bar.  Their banquet packages are actually VERY inexpensive, I think they just started offering the special events.  I think it'd be a really cute place for a more casual wedding.  Not sure what you'd do on the ceremony front though.
  • edited December 2011
    A friend did one for under $10K but it was dry.

FYI - I'm getting married this year on Sunday of Memorial day weekend -and we were offered a total of 15% discount b/c it was on a Sunday and on a holiday weekend.   Just be careful b/c some of the smaller vendors charge more- for example- hair salons are apparently not often open on Sundays esp. on a holiday weekend- so they wnat to charge more to open up for us.
  • edited December 2011
    OH you may also want to look into doing something like- a friend got married at a local arboretum (sp?)  in the afternoon- but had a reception that evening at a VFW.  It was decorated quite well and was a lot of fun.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do you think the Oaks has over Kings mills? One think that I dont like about Kings Mills is that im having my wedding on a sunday and all they have is 2 types of chicken for the entree.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just made an appt at the OAKS too, the guy seemed really nice-  Im completely LOST in the whole process never had a wedding, never helped plan one I have no idea in what is the norm to be included  what I have to watch out for. So I'm going to everyone that is in a reason price getting all the info I can and decide after I compare.  I also called/emailed all the places that were meantioned in these posts --
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The rental price I got for a sunday next year was 5800.00 Cool right... Well the rooms are small and the guest will be separated if you have over 60people. They can seat 60 in one room 50 in another and 50 in another.  The dance floor is small. You can rent a tent and have it out side but its 2900.00 to rent the tent. Here's where things got crazy. You have to use one of their 7 caterers and the cheapest quote we got for 120 people *their number not mine* and a buffet dinner was over 11k. You also have to get a florist and pay 5.00 per chair. Uhmm my budget cant support that place. I figured I would share just to save the drive its beautiful though if your budget can support it. Oh i went last night btw.
  • jayandheatherjayandheather member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Talamore Country Club in Ambler.... you may be able to get a reasonable deal there. We opted to do a daytime thing so that we could save and we got a great deal.  I'm not sure what the cost would be for a Sunday night but for Sunday day it was very cheap in comparison.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions!

Have anyone ever tasted the food at these places?
    That's a big thing for us.  It doesnt need to be fancy but still look & taste great! (while staying on budget) 

I was just wondering b/c i just did a quick review on some places and their food got just "eh" or "not great".   I know we'd rather have an outdoor place that you pay lil to nothing for with great food than a fancy looking place with not good, or just eh food having people walking away hungry still.

My mom is 100% Italian, a nutritionist, and a great cook who always gets asked to make her recipes for people and work people have even asked to pay her for them. She has offered to cater for us for that reason but i wouldn't want her doing everything for a busy day herself as well. Although, it might have to be if we can't find great food for our small budget.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anjiela7:  Thanks for the info.
    What speicific place were you mentioning?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    UGGGGHHH
     I'm going to the stinky, wood paneled V.F.W.

LOLMoney mouth
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Play getaway,
    The prices I gave was from my visit to Cairnwood Mansion last night. They have an open house on wednesdays. The place is beautiful but the lay out is that of a house. EVERY room was closed off. Your pictures would be great but dining there for over 60 would be a bit odd. My fiance veto'd it once he saw how everyone was apart he wants the families to merge not be separated. I said a flying he** no once the caterer gave my the prices on top of the rental.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I emailed Warrington Country Club and this is my email response ---

Thank you for visiting our web site.  Our deluxe all inclusive wedding package is available for January 8 or any other date in January or February, 2011 for $69.50 per person and that price does include all taxes and gratuities.  We do offer an additional $4 per person discount if you decide to offer your guests a choice of three entrees, chicken, seafood, and vegetarian, instead of four, eliminating the steak selection.  Please call if you have any questions on our package or would like to schedule a tour of our facilities.Linda or Rosalie (215-343-1630)

I figured I'd share although its specifically for Jan & feb dates it gives you an idea

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!

Debnchris: have you ever been there before, or know someone who has?  What do you think of the grounds & food?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never been there - My girlfriend was at a wedding there before and said it was really nice (may wedding I think) - the pictures on the web are pretty and fancy fancy --- there is a fireplace that you can get married by/ in front of and it would be lit up -- kinda perfect for what I would need it for  and it seems as if all the odds and ends are included (I need as much included as possible)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow that Warrington country club sounds like a good deal.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    except --- Im in delco --my family is here his family is here --- some of my relatives are in DE and NJ --- Chris says it seems far... again I'm clueless is it unreasonable to expect people to drive an hour?? They actually only have to go to one place for the ceremony AND reception -- and snow.....uggggh its all highway and main roads. I''m going to go look at it
  • efs213efs213 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Oaks quoted me around 85 pp
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Efs....oh he!! at that price I will not be doing it there. Yell  I have an appointment today at 2. I guess I'll still go since it will be nice this afternoon. 85pp sheesh Frown
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, let us know what you think of it.
      You might be able to talk them down more in person too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try William Penn Inn, it's up near Normandy Farms and I know a lot of Delaware County brides use it.  Also there are a couple of firehalls off 95 , also call Shackamaxon catering they do a lot of different places at different price points, I think one of my friends talked to Mike, I know she had her wedding at Ridley Creek Park in the Jeffords Mansion, rental was 2700 but you can bring in your own caterer(I know Shackamaxon catering works there).  There's an outdoor fountain, a gazebo, loads of gorgeous trees etc. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds great Nancyr, thanks!

Have you tried Shackamaxon's food before?  

I will definitely look into it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any other ideas or rec's for great food, inexpensive caterers (or one's willing to negiotiate) would be AWESOME!

Thanks bundles
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto William Penn Inn. We found their prices to be the cheapest of many of the places we visited. They also include a lot in their packages, so you end up saving money there. And I know that they offer discounts for different days and times... i.e. We were getting a nice discount for a Saturday afternoon vs. evening so I am sure you may be able to work something out for a Sunday... GL and HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards