Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

SA Wednesday

We got a sweet "congratulations" card from our old apartment complex in the mail today.  I really did love how well they got to know their residents.

We also got our final statements, and they appear to have missed one of the deposits we made...  No bueno.

Also, my class fish died.
Anniversary

Re: SA Wednesday

• winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am fighting with my mantle and how to decorate it. I consider myself to be fairly decent at this, but for whatever reason, can't figure out how to accomplish what I envision. So, I get on Pinterestto look for other ideas, and then...we all know where that night went! Ugh... :-( on your class fish professor!!
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered a new camera on Sunday night on Amazon because it was on sale AND I had reward points to use, and the estimated delivery date was next Friday. I just got a ship notification that it has just been delivered to my PO box!!! YAY! Now I can take pictures at my godson's birthday party this weekend :D (and of my new-to-me car that I hope to find as well!)

Today I'm working til 2, figuring out a route from Carrollton to Corinth that doesn't involve a highway, and then unpacking. Can't believe it's only Wednesday!

ETA: I've been trying to figure this out but I think the lack of sleep isn't helping- how do I add a picture to my signature?
    **Planning Bio** UPDATED! 4/9/12 Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    You upload a pic to a site like photobucket, then you copy and paste the image code into your sig.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Thanks Amanda! And I'm sorry your class fish died :(
    **Planning Bio** UPDATED! 4/9/12 Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Just got an email from our photographer, and our pics should be done by Monday!
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    How funny professorscience, I just got back on to say the same thing, yay! Except ours should be up tonight...there went any productivity I had planned!!
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ooooh, I am so excited to see your pics professor! I am sure Stefani did an amazing job! sorry about the fish though :(

Kristan- I used tinypic. Works without creating a log-in. 

I am at a loss on how to decorate my mantle too. I am really not wanting to spend a lot.

Has anyone ever done diy gifts for Christmas for close family members? This Christmas is pretty tight for us with planning for the wedding and rather than sale shop, I was thinking of doing something more personal. If you did- what did you do and for whom? What did they think of it?

• edited December 2011
    Amanda W.- I almost always do DIY gifts for family. In previous years I've done pictures in frames (not very personalized, but they love pictures) for my parents (family pics, me and siblings) and for Jeremy's grandparents (pictures of me and Jeremy). This year, his grandparents and each of our parents are getting some of our framed e-pics! I've done a collage of pictures for both my parents and Jeremy- bought one of those 14-picture frames at Kohl's when they were half off, so the frames were $12-$15, then just ordered prints. Everyone I've ever given a picture gift too really seemed to like it.

This year I'm doing more "creative" DIY gifts: Pinterest has been a huge help, along with me finally learning how to use a sewing machine. I'm making tshirt quilts (Jeremy and my sister), sewing some messenger bags (sister and FSILs), DIYing some belt hangers (all guys in mine and Jeremy's family), shoe care kits (all guys again), photo coasters (Mom and Jeremy's mom) and an earring holder (my mom). DIY can get expensive, but I've been watching for sales and hoarding coupons like no one's business. The Dollar Tree is also my friend! I look there for all of my supplies first before going anywhere else :)

Sorry to ramble, but DIY is my friend, and pretty much all I can afford most years- Jeremy has a huge family, and between graduating, saving for the wedding, and having to take on a car payment starting this weekend, money is tight! If you want a full list of the projects I'm doing this year, PM me- I don't want to monopolize the thread by being a total DIY AW
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:bad0da3c-fb11-472d-9e7d-3615dcecb96f">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Today I'm working til 2, figuring out a route from Carrollton to Corinth that doesn't involve a highway, and then unpacking.
    Posted by kristan1022[/QUOTE]
    Kristan,
    I don't know in what part of Carrollton you are but I take 2499 sometimes to Corinth.  It dead ends (pretty much) just past the lake at Swisher.  I turn right to go home.  Hope this helps.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:1171c360-5643-47f0-9d60-9fa218a8c4c4">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : Kristan, I don't know in what part of Carrollton you are but I take 2499 sometimes to Corinth.  It dead ends (pretty much) just past the lake at Swisher.  I turn right to go home.  Hope this helps.
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]
    yup! I used to live in Corinth- this works perfectly! If you have the option to take 635 West, it is *usually* never bad traffic. Then exit 121 North, then 2499. I take 2499 every day to go to tutor in Argyle. It is about 30 minutes to get all the way through from 121.<div>
    </div><div>And thanks for the info Kristan! I will stroll pinterest some more- and add you!  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:1171c360-5643-47f0-9d60-9fa218a8c4c4">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : Kristan, I don't know in what part of Carrollton you are but I take 2499 sometimes to Corinth.  It dead ends (pretty much) just past the lake at Swisher.  I turn right to go home.  Hope this helps.
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks Julie! I'm right at the Carrolton-Farmer's Branch border (635 and GBTP). That sounds perfect! :)

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:ba9b0e01-e402-4ad4-98b1-a67dd87b2100">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]And thanks for the info Kristan! I will stroll pinterest some more- and add you!  
    Posted by aeliza06[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You're totally welcome :) I <3 DIY- and can't wait to get all my craft stuff set up so I can get going on Christmas gifts, I'm way behind because of the move!

</div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:e4330a5d-b559-450b-be65-cd2d70280094">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : Thanks Julie! I'm right at the Carrolton-Farmer's Branch border (635 and GBTP). That sounds perfect! :)
    Duh! I forget how close you are to where we live! haha. Yup- 635 to 121 to 2499.35-45 minutes. TBH if you stick it out in the traffic, it is about the same amount of time (IF there is not an accident). But if you would rather be moving than stop-go, take the 2499 route. <div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:b0a14b24-525a-4c79-bc73-7aa926ecb1dc">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : Duh! I forget how close you are to where we live! haha. Yup- 635 to 121 to 2499.35-45 minutes. TBH if you stick it out in the traffic, it is about the same amount of time (IF there is not an accident). But if you would rather be moving than stop-go, take the 2499 route. 
    Posted by aeliza06[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm only part-time, so I work 10-2, and I usually live on the highways, but with my car refusing to go over 445, I figure it's better for everyone if I stick to the backroads :) But fingers crossed that I'll have a reliable car come Saturday!

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:5cbc17ec-fe40-4020-899d-c4a50584fcf7">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone ever done diy gifts for Christmas for close family members? This Christmas is pretty tight for us with planning for the wedding and rather than sale shop, I was thinking of doing something more personal. If you did- what did you do and for whom? What did they think of it?
    Posted by aeliza06[/QUOTE]

When we first moved, I was freelance, which I swear means "kind of unemployed" - yikes! So things were tight and I made a lot of gifts.

One year I drew pictures for everybody based on things they liked. My sister loves pandas, so I drew her a cute little girl in a panda raincoat ... my semi-uncle was about to set off on a journey, so I drew him a picture of some dragonflies for good luck. That sort of thing. It went over really well. :)

I also tried to make the most of the budget I had - picking up things that were maybe secondhand or really inexpensive, but putting a lot of love into choosing just the right thing, even if it wasn't showy or impressive.

This year I am looking forward to finally being able to buy people real presents again.

I bet that the people on your list will love your homemade DIY gifts! I really think that the love really shows when you make something yourself, and that makes a huge difference...
    edited December 2011
    Kristin - are the photo coasters you're making out of tile? If so, I found that on Pinterest and those are on my list for everyone with our wedding pics! And I am jealous of your t-shirt quilt, I have bags of t-shirts I am saving to do this one day. Problem is, I don't sew!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:471b2a0d-3fe8-4dc8-9c9c-0d3f1c9c0c39">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kristin - are the photo coasters you're making out of tile? If so, I found that on Pinterest and those are on my list for everyone with our wedding pics! And I am jealous of your t-shirt quilt, I have bags of t-shirts I am saving to do this one day. Problem is, I don't sew!
    Posted by winechic25[/QUOTE]

I found a lady online who does them and she's very reasonable.  I got three for around $500 and they look great.  Google Texas T-shirt Quilts. 
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:471b2a0d-3fe8-4dc8-9c9c-0d3f1c9c0c39">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kristin - are the photo coasters you're making out of tile? If so, I found that on Pinterest and those are on my list for everyone with our wedding pics! And I am jealous of your t-shirt quilt, I have bags of t-shirts I am saving to do this one day. Problem is, I don't sew!
    Posted by winechic25[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes I'm doing the tile coasters! They are such good gifts! :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm so glad I finally broke down and learned how to use the sewing machine, it's freed up a TON of closet space at FI's house- he hangs on to t-shirts forever. I looked up the lady that Julie recommended, but I'm so cheap that I decided to just put in the time to do it myself- plus I love crafting so it's therapeutic.. me, my music, and a sewing machine :)</div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:4ca622f3-4dbc-4bc1-8ac0-a0edae32cfb8">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : Yes I'm doing the tile coasters! They are such good gifts! :) I'm so glad I finally broke down and learned how to use the sewing machine, it's freed up a TON of closet space at FI's house- he hangs on to t-shirts forever. I looked up the lady that Julie recommended, but I'm so cheap that I decided to just put in the time to do it myself- plus I love crafting so it's therapeutic.. me, my music, and a sewing machine :)

I can't cut or draw a straight line to save my life.  So, while I could probabaly sew it well enough with a machine, the t-shirts wouldn't have been cut properly.  Plus, I didn't want to have to figure out how to do the backing.  She did it all very well and she was way cheaper than a few other people that I got quotes from. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:b2f74687-2b04-457e-9fde-eb25d70dfe99">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SA Wednesday : <strong>I can't cut or draw a straight line to save my life.</strong>  So, while I could probabaly sew it well enough with a machine, the t-shirts wouldn't have been cut properly.  Plus, I didn't want to have to figure out how to do the backing.  She did it all very well and she was way cheaper than a few other people that I got quotes from. 
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

<div>That has been the most difficult part for me! The cutting, even though I'm using a rotary cutter, is VERY slow. I bookmarked her info though for a couple of my sorority sisters :) </div>
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the good ideas everyone! 
    And thanks for the quilt info Julie! I have been needing to do this with FI's Fraternity shirts and my sorority shirts. I am so tired of them sitting in boxes.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sa-wednesday-63?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6bf1f0e6-08ba-40ae-9ef3-fb58961bf935Post:c588e7e2-28a6-4869-a5a5-29b6ccdc2324">Re: SA Wednesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the good ideas everyone!  And thanks for the quilt info Julie! I have been needing to do this with FI's Fraternity shirts and my sorority shirts. I am so tired of them sitting in boxes.
    Posted by aeliza06[/QUOTE]

I did this to kind of clean out my closet last year.  I have also replaced all the shirts that I used to make the t-shirt quilt.  I don't think I'll be making one for a while because it just "encourages" me to buy more t-shirts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards