Michigan-Grand Rapids

Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo

I really want to have my ceremony there - has anyone had it at the Stetson Chapel on Kalamazoo College's campus? My issues are the parking for my older guests and there is no center aisle to walk down...am I crazy or does that not really matter? haha. Also, what is included in the $1,500 price tag do you know? Wondering what sort of rules they have.
Thank you!!!!

Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo

• I just booked Stetson this morning! I should be getting my final contract in the mail in a few days so if you have specific questions, feel free to personal message me! 

I know that $1500 is the fee for a 4 hour time period. You can choose between a 2pm ceremony or a 5pm ceremony. We're going with 5pm and we have the space from 3:30-7:30. You also get an hour rehearsal the night before, from either 5:30 to 6:30 or 7 to 8. There is a bridal suite for the girls to change but there is not a space for the guys.

There is also an additional $100 damage deposit due that is refunded as long as everything is cleaned up when you leave. You also have to purchase special occasion insurance for up to $1,000,000. That sounds like a lot but it's only costing us about $100 through State Farm.

As for parking, I'm not thrilled about that situation either! Carol, the wedding contact at K, told me that there is a lot available on Thompson and street parking isn't too much of an issue on a Saturday. I'm still considering finding another parking lot and transporting guests but I've got some time to figure that out!

For the 2 aisles, I'm just walking down one and up the other. Stetson doesn't allow petals down the aisle and they also don't allow rice or birdseed. 

Carol Kennedy is the person to get in touch with! Her number is 269-337-7047 and her email is carol.kennedy@kzoo.edu. Email is the easiest way to get in touch with her.

Hope this helps!! Good luck
  • Thank you so much - yes that helps SO MUCH! What other locations did you look into before deciding on Stetson Chapel? I went there and loved it but am still "on the hunt" to find the best one :)
    Are you going to decorate much or not really since everything has to be out of there quickly afterward?
    Are there parking lots nearby that you can shuttle people in? I didn't know that could be a possible option (of course with a price tag attached I am sure)....where are you having your reception at?

Thank you again!!!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_stetson-chapel-kalamazoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:39e6c235-d670-43b2-88bf-c2673b9c7b19Post:7a429fa4-0876-4d6b-b569-eea8ab669b38">Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just booked Stetson this morning! I should be getting my final contract in the mail in a few days so if you have specific questions, feel free to personal message me!  I know that $1500 is the fee for a 4 hour time period. You can choose between a 2pm ceremony or a 5pm ceremony. We're going with 5pm and we have the space from 3:30-7:30. You also get an hour rehearsal the night before, from either 5:30 to 6:30 or 7 to 8. There is a bridal suite for the girls to change but there is not a space for the guys. There is also an additional $100 damage deposit due that is refunded as long as everything is cleaned up when you leave. You also have to purchase special occasion insurance for up to $1,000,000. That sounds like a lot but it's only costing us about $100 through State Farm. As for parking, I'm not thrilled about that situation either! Carol, the wedding contact at K, told me that there is a lot available on Thompson and street parking isn't too much of an issue on a Saturday. I'm still considering finding another parking lot and transporting guests but I've got some time to figure that out! For the 2 aisles, I'm just walking down one and up the other. Stetson doesn't allow petals down the aisle and they also don't allow rice or birdseed.  Carol Kennedy is the person to get in touch with! Her number is 269-337-7047 and her email is carol.kennedy@kzoo.edu. Email is the easiest way to get in touch with her. Hope this helps!! Good luck
    Posted by princess525[/QUOTE]
  • How many older guests are you having and when is the wedding? 

There is a small parking lot almost directly behind Stetson Chapel (in between DeWaters & Trowbridge residence halls) that would allow for "stair-free" access to Stetson Chapel.  I'd guess it could accomodate about 30 cars or so.  If the wedding is during their school year, that lot would certainly be pretty full as it is a student lot. Even if the lot is full - that would be an ideal "drop off" spot if you used a shuttle.

Parking lots to consider: lot by Light Fine Arts Building (small but pretty area), lot by Tennis Courts (small), lot by Severn Hall (not a good spot if wedding is held during school year - it will be full), and by Facilities Management Building (large lot, not quite as pretty as the other areas).
  • Our wedding will be in June of 2013. I asked for the contract emailed to me so I can view it as I live out of state but it sounds like Carol would rather email it to me. I guess they have an area for the bridal party but not the groomsmen or groom prior to the wedding to get ready in which I suppose is ok. And no AV equipment....are you bringing your own in as well? When is your wedding date?

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_stetson-chapel-kalamazoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:39e6c235-d670-43b2-88bf-c2673b9c7b19Post:3646d0ee-943b-4887-93a8-3729a49523ea">Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many older guests are you having and when is the wedding?  There is a small parking lot almost directly behind Stetson Chapel (in between DeWaters & Trowbridge residence halls) that would allow for "stair-free" access to Stetson Chapel.  I'd guess it could accomodate about 30 cars or so.  If the wedding is during their school year, that lot would certainly be pretty full as it is a student lot. Even if the lot is full - that would be an ideal "drop off" spot if you used a shuttle. Parking lots to consider: lot by Light Fine Arts Building (small but pretty area), lot by Tennis Courts (small), lot by Severn Hall (not a good spot if wedding is held during school year - it will be full), and by Facilities Management Building (large lot, not quite as pretty as the other areas).
    Posted by d0roell[/QUOTE]
  • Our wedding is August 4th but it's not at Stetson Chapel.

I just used to work at Kalamazoo College and figured I could offer up my two cents about the parking situation around Stetson Chapel :)

I'm sure you've probably already looked into this but just in case you haven't...

K College is on the quarter system and their school year typically runs all the way into mid-June.  I would ask Carol what weekend graduation is and try hard to avoid that weekend.  Graduation is usually on a Sunday but area hotels and the campus will be busy that whole weekend.  It'd be so much nicer to have the campus to yourselves that weekend!
  • Thank you - I appreciate that advice. I will ask Carol about that. Our date is June 1 2013 so I believe school is still in session.....and yes parking has been on my mind....trying to figure out where my guests can go that is easy...also thinking about having a shuttle go back and forth to accomodate them. The last thing I want are guests unhappy or upset about parking to start of the night.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_stetson-chapel-kalamazoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:39e6c235-d670-43b2-88bf-c2673b9c7b19Post:8e8a18f2-1723-48a5-a984-1c02e81163c8">Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding is August 4th but it's not at Stetson Chapel. I just used to work at Kalamazoo College and figured I could offer up my two cents about the parking situation around Stetson Chapel :) I'm sure you've probably already looked into this but just in case you haven't... K College is on the quarter system and their school year typically runs all the way into mid-June.  I would ask Carol what weekend graduation is and try hard to avoid that weekend.  Graduation is usually on a Sunday but area hotels and the campus will be busy that whole weekend.  It'd be so much nicer to have the campus to yourselves that weekend!
    Posted by d0roell[/QUOTE]
  • Sorry it took me so long to respond on this! If you're getting married in June, definitely make sure it's not graduation weekend because my fiance went to K and that place is a madhouse that weekend! We're looking at getting a parking lot at WMU and shuttling from there because a lot of their lots are free on weekends and they'll be done with school by my wedding. We won't be doing a ton of decorating just because the chapel is already so pretty but we'll have a few floral arrangements. 

I didn't actually look anywhere else because my fiance went to K and it's where we met so we were pretty set on it for sentimental reasons. We are having our reception at Rose Street Market. 

Good luck!
  • We changed our date to the middle of May and booked the Stetson Chapel which I am pumped about. Not sure yet about sound or audio but I think I have to bring that in myself? I figured with a chapel that big we may need to consider that anyway. Not sure yet what we will do about parking but our reception is at the Radisson and for a small fee they would drive our guests to and from I believe. What are you doing for yours? We also opted for the later time - 5pm ceremony - figured that would be nice to have more time to relax, get ready and then get married :)

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_stetson-chapel-kalamazoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:39e6c235-d670-43b2-88bf-c2673b9c7b19Post:3858b587-ba24-46ee-b224-9e2f7e034176">Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry it took me so long to respond on this! If you're getting married in June, definitely make sure it's not graduation weekend because my fiance went to K and that place is a madhouse that weekend! We're looking at getting a parking lot at WMU and shuttling from there because a lot of their lots are free on weekends and they'll be done with school by my wedding. We won't be doing a ton of decorating just because the chapel is already so pretty but we'll have a few floral arrangements.  I didn't actually look anywhere else because my fiance went to K and it's where we met so we were pretty set on it for sentimental reasons. We are having our reception at Rose Street Market.  Good luck!
  • I chose the late reception as well because I want to sleep in! We haven't figured out sound yet either but let me know if you get to that before I do!! Our plan is to have our guests park at WMU and then rent shuttles to go back and forth. That may change but we're trying to make it as easy as possible. :)
  • Not sure yet what we are going to do in terms of sound.....I suppose I better add that to my list...I figured I would talk to my cousin who does that for a living and also the lady that oversee's the rental of the Stetson Chapel to get their opinions.

Where are you having your reception at???

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_stetson-chapel-kalamazoo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:39e6c235-d670-43b2-88bf-c2673b9c7b19Post:c4c38b5b-82dd-4775-abf0-b2ee0c2a6a6d">Re: Stetson Chapel - Kalamazoo</a>:
    [QUOTE]I chose the late reception as well because I want to sleep in! We haven't figured out sound yet either but let me know if you get to that before I do!! Our plan is to have our guests park at WMU and then rent shuttles to go back and forth. That may change but we're trying to make it as easy as possible. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards