Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flips flops ok?

Ok promise this is my last new thread post for today!

I am getting married in Las Vegas and I am SERIOUSLY considering wearing flip flops under my dress.  My friend did that for her wedding and said she did not regret it because Vegas requires ALOT of walking.  I did not think her flip flops looked bad on (I only saw them when she was holding her dress up as she was walking). 

Thoughts?? Flip Flops so my feet don't kill at the end of the night or TRY and find a semi-comfortable pair of kitten heels?? I don't do 'heels' because I'm tall already.

Re: Flips flops ok?

• What about ballet flats?  That's what I'm wearing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • I like flats more than flip flops, atleast for the ceremony.  For the reception I would say flip flops are fine.
  • I like the ballet flats. Like PP said, maybe flip flops for the reception.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Flats/flip flops are cool I think.

Oct '11 Siggy Challenge: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Flats are one thing, because they can be dressy. IMO, you can never dress up a flip flop.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I had really pretty shoes to wear but during the pictures I sunk into some mud and so I just ended up wearing my tall flip flops that I had as back up, my feet felt fabulous. Plus I actually got a lot of compliments, saying they were very "me" 
    image Married and Junk.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flips-flops-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d7a5d81c-29be-4297-a17d-79d1b250c10dPost:4aa19661-7f20-4840-bb9f-14de8d882900">Re: Flips flops ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Flats are one thing, because they can be dressy. IMO, you can never dress up a flip flop.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

<div>So you never bought into the "fancy" Havaianas?  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I did have a pair of white sequinned wedge flip flops to change into during the reception, but I wouldn't wear them for the actual ceremony if your wedding is anything fancier than a JOP.  When you think about how much you spend on your dress, don't you want to have shoes that match their formality?</div>
  • I was barefooted for my ceremony.  Then I wore flip-flops for the reception.

I didnt give a shiit what other people thought about what was on my feet, under a gown no less.    I  took care of all my guests needs and wants by giving them a top shelf open bar, great food, making sure they were comfortable. 

What I wore on my feet had nothing to do with them and everything to do with my comfort.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't think it matters what you wear under your dress. I would just be worried about the sound of flip-flops up the aisle. Also, I don't find them particularly comfortable for walking long distances, but if you do, go for it.
  • Embrace the flip flops!  This is your day and if you love the flip flops and they are an expression of you, then why not?  If people can wear funny colored sneakers and be considered cool, why look down on some fun flip flops?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flips-flops-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d7a5d81c-29be-4297-a17d-79d1b250c10dPost:201822d1-aadd-4cd2-a7f9-fe3ceab01806">Re: Flips flops ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it matters what you wear under your dress. <strong>I would just be worried about the sound of flip-flops up the aisle.</strong> Also, I don't find them particularly comfortable for walking long distances, but if you do, go for it.
    Posted by sister2groom[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, that could get obnoxious fast. A sandal with heel strap would be fine though.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_flips-flops-ok?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d7a5d81c-29be-4297-a17d-79d1b250c10dPost:48deec98-be20-4516-9e89-49c9d97836ce">Re: Flips flops ok?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Flats it is!  Good idea.  My feet  may get warm but that's ok.
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

<div>You can get a flat strappy sandal.  Then your feet won't get warm :-)</div>
    Anniversary
  • I would say go with whatever you want if your dress is floor-length.  A girl in my lab couldn't find her shoes 10 minutes before the ceremony, so she wore sneakers under her dress.  No one had a clue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • Are you generally a flip-flop person? Then go for it. I had a pair of fabulous heels that hurt after an hour, which sucked because I'd worn them before for a full 12 hours and not had any problems. Anyway, I had this hideous pair of platform flip-flops that we got that were the same height as me heels. Nobody saw them, and it was fine.
  • My sister wore Nikes.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• I don't know the logistics of vegas as I haven't been there since i was like maybe 8 months old but...what about going barefoot for your wedding?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have walked down the strip barefoot.

I wouldn't recommend it.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• I'm planning on doing cute heels for pics and the ceremony and then flip-flops it is for me and my bridesmaids for the rest of the night! I'm just not a flats girl and I know my bridesmaids will be looking forward to some flip flops too.

Plus, this is what all the bridesmaids and the bride did in two weddings I was in this past spring and nobody said anything.
  • I wish I had pics to share, but I went to a wedding years ago that the bride wore royal blue Converse high tops.  Her very traditional mother was scandalized, but got over it.  It was very much a fun thing for that girl to do.
    Anniversary
  • I think flip flops are fine if you prefer to wear them over flats. I wore blue peep toe heels but had blisters half way through the reception that I had to wear flip flops because even flats would have hurt. No one could tell under the gown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards