Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Grandparents

I am fortunate enough that all four of my grandparents will be able to see me get married. They have all been a HUGE part of my life, and I am their first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. By the time we get married, all of them will have been married for over 50 years which is a very big deal these days, and definitely inspiration. My fiance on the other hand has none, so my grandparents are extremely special to him as well since he has been a part of our family for almost 6 years. We are both really close with our parents as well so they will be recognized traditionally during the ceremony with flowers and of course with the dancing. I really wanted to do something special for my grandparents so they do not go unrecognized, and so that people know how big of an influence they are on us and also inspiration for a long healthy relationship. I was thinking maybe a special dance for them, but i don't want to take up too much time dancing with all of them.... any ideas on how we could make it special for them in either the ceremony or reception??

Oh also we have step parents who have been a big part of our lives as well...any ideas for them???

Thanks!

Re: Grandparents

• This is something I have seen done at a few weddings that we are also doing: an anniversary dance where all married guests will come to the dance floor and then slowly the DJ will call for only those married over 5 year and so on.  Until only those married for 50 or so years are left and an announcement is made celebrating the couples left (which would be your grandparents.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • I would definitely go for the anniversary dance. It sounds like you have the perfect couples to do so.
  • Anniversary dance is awesome!

Also, you can put a special note in your programs dedicating it to them and their inspiration on you as a couple.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_grandparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:beb332f6-f592-4a3e-a5e0-93e76da8713ePost:15a3baa4-b4a5-4036-93bf-c65629ae11f3">Re: Grandparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is something I have seen done at a few weddings that we are also doing: an anniversary dance where all married guests will come to the dance floor and then slowly the DJ will call for only those married over 5 year and so on.  Until only those married for 50 or so years are left and an announcement is made celebrating the couples left (which would be your grandparents.
    Posted by DanielleZZ[/QUOTE]

I like this idea!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you SO much! I have never seen this done before but I think it would be perfect!
  • I like the anniversary dance idea in theory, but it could be another one of those awkward reception moments for single guests. The last time I was at a wedding that had one I felt a little left out because I was unmarried. I remember thinking "First I get pelted with a bouquet, forced to dance with a 13 year old kid who caught the garter and now THIS?!" 

You could also consider having your and your FI's grandparents' wedding portraits on the cake table or guest book table, etc.  I am sure they would appreciate that either in lieu of or in addition to an anniversary dance. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_grandparents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:beb332f6-f592-4a3e-a5e0-93e76da8713ePost:35bcf18c-cfa1-4eed-a52a-fba16fd3dffd">Grandparents</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am fortunate enough that all four of my grandparents will be able to see me get married. They have all been a HUGE part of my life, and I am their first granddaughter to walk down the aisle. By the time we get married, all of them will have been married for over 50 years which is a very big deal these days, and definitely inspiration. My fiance on the other hand has none, so my grandparents are extremely special to him as well since he has been a part of our family for almost 6 years. We are both really close with our parents as well so they will be recognized traditionally during the ceremony with flowers and of course with the dancing. I really wanted to do something special for my grandparents so they do not go unrecognized, and so that people know how big of an influence they are on us and also inspiration for a long healthy relationship. <strong><font color="#0000ff">I was thinking maybe a special dance for them, but i don't want to take up too much time dancing with all of them.... any ideas on how we could make it special for them in either the ceremony or reception??</font></strong> Oh also we have step parents who have been a big part of our lives as well...any ideas for them??? Thanks!
    Posted by michelle6605[/QUOTE]

Have a special dance FOR them, not with them.  Play a single song for the grandparents.  They dance to it, <u>not you</u>, in celebration of their 50+ years together.  As well, it seems a card for each couple from you and your FI, with personal notes expressing your feelings, admiration, etc. would be very nice.  This is not a card to be given on the wedding day nor acknowledged/mentioned at the wedding, but rather an intimate expression from the newlyweds to the golden agers.

Best of luck!
  • We are not as lucky as you to have our grandparents at the wedding.  We will have their wedding pictures (along with our parents and married siblings) at the entrance to the ceremony - a little way of making sure they are at our wedding in spirit.

We are planning on having an Anniversary dance, too.  Both of our parents have hit the 40 year mark. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I went to a wedding where the officiant mentioned how both sets of parents were still married and how much of an inspiration that was to the about-to-be-married couple. It wasn't anything elaborate and time-consuming, but it was just a couple sentences about it. I like the idea of the anniversary dance just for them, but you could also work how much their long marriages have influenced both of you into the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you are so lucky to have so many grandparents still living!  all the above suggestions are great.  you might also want to consider having your grandparents walk down the aisle at the ceremony.  this is traditional in jewish ceremonies, and is an acknowledgment that a wedding is the joining of two families, not just two individuals. 

at our wedding the only grandparent was my grandma.  she walked (rolled actually, in her wheelchair) down the aisle accompanied by my brother-in-law then sat in the front row.

v.
  • i really like the idea for the anniversary dance! and i also love putting the wedding pictures of the parents and grandparents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards