Destination Weddings Discussions

Seating question - No WP

Okay so we don't have a WP and I'm trying to figure out the seating for the reception.  We are not having a sweetheart table so Matt and I will just sit where ever.  My question is should we sit at table with the parents, so me, Matt, FFIL, FMIL, my mom and dad or could we sit with our friends?

If we do it with us at the parent's table it works out more evenly for the other tables.  

What would/are you doing?

Re: Seating question - No WP

• This is tough...FI and I just worked this out last night.  We choose to do a sweetheart table so that we wouldn't have to choose and our families could sit with their family.  I would honestly just sit where ever it was easiest. 
  • What we were planning on before we decided to have no assigned seating was to have tables of 10 with 2 free seats at each table so we could wander and spend time at each table.

It's a bit strange, but we liked it better than choosing a group to sit with.
  • I haven't gotten to this stage of planning yet.  What I picture is my FI and I sitting with our parents and then whoever else we put at that table. We will have a MOH and BM so they would sit with us too.  I never even thought about there being a seating plan quite honestly.  I guess that is still to come for me. Be interested to hear what you choose.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We aren't having a sweetheart table or a head table, we are just sitting with our friends. Our parents are each sitting with their friends or siblings, my sister/MOH is sitting with our other siblings, and our table is us and some of our good friends and their significant others.
  • My FI's cousin had something completely different for their wedding and I want to throw it out as an option for you. They had a table for two completely seperate from all of the wedding guests where they could sit, enjoy some alone time being married, eat etc. Then after they finished eating they went around to all of the tables while everyone else was eating and talked for a little bit.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_seating-question-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:353aad1f-8b18-4e5b-893a-c85790b22500Post:679126b7-4ba4-44f1-8f7a-a3edf45efbc6">Re: Seating question - No WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't having a sweetheart table or a head table, we are just sitting with our friends. Our parents are each sitting with their friends or siblings, my sister/MOH is sitting with our other siblings, a<strong>nd our table is us and some of our good friends and their significant others.</strong>
    Posted by waterous.m[/QUOTE]

<div>See this was my inital thought when I first started working on it.  But then I asked Matt to help me today and he automatically put us at the table with our parents.  Now I'm curious to see what others think.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • We had a sweetheart table for our actual reception but for the welcome dinner we sat with our parents and the photographer. Actually we sat with our moms, the photographer, and my younger brother. But hey, there arent any rules so I say do what makes you happy.
  • we're having a sweatheart table.  and we have no parents.   so, im not help.  but, i hope you figure out.  i say just sit where youre comfy!
  • Ugh, I just had to figure this out too. We ended up doing a sweetheart table. For the most part seating everyone else was pretty easy, except when it came to where to put my mom and aunt. Matt and I thought our parents should sit together (and this comes from his parents being offended that the parents of their now daughter-in-law--FI's brother's wife--didn't sit with them at the rehearsal dinner for DIL and son). The only other non-sibling relative I have that's coming is my aunt. Now if it was just my aunt and mom I had to seat, that would've been fine and the numbers would've worked out perfectly. But my aunt is having a friend join her. I didn't want to sit the friend away from my aunt, so that means I had to move FI's aunt and uncle to a different table with my sister and brother and others. So now I'm worried the aunt and uncle would be offended that they aren't sitting with the other aunts/uncles and parents, but I figured the parents sitting together was more important.

So, yeah. It's only for a freaking hour. They can deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not much help on the matter...I plan on not having assigned tables and wanting FI and I with our bridal party and their significant others at one table (besides FFIL who is doubling as Best Man).

If we weren't having a bridal party, I think I would choose to sit with friends over our parents and I think FI would do the same thing

At other weddings we've been, one we were sitting with older aunts and uncles instead of the cousins and it was annoying.  This past wedding in February we were at a table with 2 cousins and their wives/Fiance, which was AWESOME.  It will be interested to see what the wedding next month will be like...we don't want to do assigned tables because it seems like every wedding we've been to either Brian and I weren't happy or his parents weren't happy and I just don't want to deal with that!

Best of luck! (see you soon!)
  • I think we will end up doing a sweetheart table too but I have not finalized all this yet either....glad you started this topic!
    Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards