Michigan-Grand Rapids

Great hotel for bachelorette night?

I'm planning on getting a hotel room for the night of the bachelorette party in Grand Rapids and price is really no problem. But I live in California and have never been there, so I am looking for your help! I was looking at both the JW Marriott and the Amway (would've loved a contemporary boutique hotel, but smaller city= only chains!). The bride (my sis) is 23 and unfortunately has friends spread all over the country, so we're all planning from afar!
This hotel room will serve as a central hub for the girls, many of whom will be flying in that day, so it will be a place we all connect and get ready and kill free time while waiting for other attendees. So, I'm looking for not only a nice room but a hotel with perhaps a fun bar, or a central location to something fun that some of the girls can wander off to while waiting for others to arrive and also would like feedback on how the hotels other services are. Any nice breakfast places (to take the bride out the next morning)? Any gorgeous rooftop lounges?
I would love the help from those who've been to or lived in Grand Rapids. Where's THE place to stay?

Re: Great hotel for bachelorette night?

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stayed in the JW Marriott on the Concierge Level for the 2 nights after the wedding.  It was really lovely.  They have a nice bar and restaurant inside, and then it's a very short walk to the BOB, which has 3 (4?) levels that are different bars on each.  We actually had a private "side" of the Eve, where the fireplace and lot's of chairs as an after-party.  It's a more loungey feel than some of the other bars in the BOB.

The nice thing about staying on the concierge level is that you're able to go to a room at the top where they have a nice breakfast in the morning (it's at the top of the JW, and you get amazing views), you can go in there at any point in the day and grab bottles of water/juice/soda for free, as well as make coffee.  Here are a few photos from October:

The other option is for you to look into going somewhere along the lakeshore.  There are a lot of B&B's there.

OR, if you're really wanting something more trendy, with better nightlife, Chicago might be a better option.  Then again, I never actually lived in GR, nor do I live there now, and I'm not up on the newest stuff that's going on in the area.

Oh, you might want to check out Bistro Bella Vita for dinner and starting drinks.  We actually had our reception there and the food is quite good and the drinks are pretty great as well.
  • edeshinskyedeshinsky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the info! I'm leaning more toward the JW. I wish we could go to Chicago (as it's where I'm from), but time constraints and people flying in to Grand Rapids has limited our options. I could use all the help I can get on venues, so thanks!
  • jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never stayed at Amway or JW but pretty much everything in downtown GR is within walking distance. There are bars and restaurants all over. Right near both of them is Mojo's Dueling Piano Bar which is a lot of fun. On Ionia (street)--a short walk from the hotels--there are a lot of bars. Some upscale, some more pub like, some more sports bar like. I think GR is really up and coming so I don't think you'll be disappointed. Have fun and good luck!
  • shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stayed at the JW for my bachelorette party and I would highly recommend it, for all the reasons that Amoro stated above.  It's an awesome central location - close to the BOB and a bunch of the great bars downtown.  The lobby is cool and has a nice martini bar in it as well.  We were on the concierge level and us girls took advantage of the free happy hour (beer and wine) up there.  : )  Good luck!
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

edited December 2011
    I think the Amway is just a little too old and stuffy for something like a younger girls bachelorette.
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and is the wedding in GR or is the bride in GR?  I'm wondering why GR is THE place? :)
  • edeshinskyedeshinsky member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's looking like JW is the place! And I was eyeing the Dueling Pianos place and the BOB. In looking into GR, it does seem like they're developing the downtown into a great little spot for going out! 
    My sister (the bride) lives in Muskegon, and the wedding will be in Pentwater (where most of us are staying the rest of the weekend), but we're limited in time because her bridesmaids and family can't make separate trips to come visit. So, most are arriving on the Thursday when the Bach. party will be, then wedding on Saturday and everyone goes home after. She's just got young friends who can only afford one trip out (they're primarily from NC, with some in Wash. state and me and CA). So, with all the girls arriving on Thursday into Grand Rapids, it just seemed like a good choice to stay in town rather than add more travel onto the plans.

It really seems like we'll be able to make the most of it, though. The JW looks gorgeous.
    edited December 2011
    Oh I see, makes lot's of sense! 

Sounds like you'll have a load of fun, enjoy!
  • edited December 2011
    Def do the JW.  Our room blocks are at the JW and the Amway.  The JW is brand new and modern, there's a spa there and an indoor pool.  EVery room has a beautiful view, either of the city or the Grand River.

I'm not from GR but getting married there in 3 months.  I've learned A LOT about the city in the last few months going back and forth to plan.  Stay at the JW, definitely go to the BOB.  There are a lot of other great bars right there.  You could try Rockwell & Republic too.  It's two places that are connected, with the former being more casual and the later being a little nicer.  We looked there as well as Bistro Bella Vita (and many others) for our rehearsal location.  The menu for Bistro looked great and a lot is organic and/or locally grown, which I thought was cool.  I'd have dinner there if I were you, it smells wonderful when you walk in, there's a wood burning pizza oven, the atmosphere is great.  There's tons of GREAT restaurants down town (which I've tried) but from the sounds of your circumstances, Bistro is the best bang for your buck!  There is also a breakfast/lunch place right near there called Bite.

Have fun and best of luck to your sister!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards