July 2012 Weddings

Knives as wedding gift

I stalk my registry and I've noticed that no one wants to buy us knives. My FI is a knife snob, so the ONE thing he cared about on our registry was the knives, and I completely let him choose them. He put three different knives on there ranging from $120-$200 each, and one set of steak knives that are $40 for four. Our registry is getting really close to complete, except all the knives are still there. Ppl have bought other things at those price points, but no knives. My FI is kind of bummed that no one is buying them. He is starting to think that ppl just don't like the idea of giving someone a knife for some reason. To me, it seems like a really good gift; one that you know will be used often and can last many years.

Have you received any knives as wedding gifts? Have you ever bought someone a knife for a wedding gift? Would you avoid doing so for some reason?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Knives as wedding gift

• We didn't register for any because FI bought me an AMAZING set for Christmas two years ago. They are seriously one of the best gifts I've ever received because I use them all the time. So I obv am not on the "don't give knives for a gift" bandwagon, even if for a wedding. I don't know why people wouldn't want to buy them?
    Photobucket
  • edited May 2012
    After my Bridal Shower this past weekend i could open a house of knives lol small town, big shower so ppl dont really go off the registry and we got knives from 5 different ppl.

From your explaination is it that one knife alone is $100. Because the only thing i can see is that ppl i feel like dont like spending big bucks on something physically small... you know. So that could be the case... but i think that's silly cause you registered for it, you know if someone gives you a single knife that it cost them $100 lol i hope for ur FIs sake that someone picks it up :)
    Anniversary
  • I don't really see why anyone would avoid getting knives for a wedding gift. I thought it was actually pretty common to give knife sets.  I received a nice knife set at my shower from my registry. So yea, I really don't know why they wouldn't.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • hmmmm. We just registered for one really nice (and expensive) set, but haven't received it yet.

I think PP may be on to something - that people might not want to purchase something that is physically tiny, but raelly expensive, as the only gift they are getting you. This is why we registered for a big set instead of expensive individual knives - even though we knew the individual knives might be the "better" knives (but we are not very knowledgable or knife snobs, so the set was fine for us).

I don't think it is the knives, I think they are a great gift and like ceglare said, something that you actually do use nearly every day and will last forever. Hopefully they will get bought up soon!!
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_knives-as-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:ac0c0f21-c7fb-4567-a769-7b4af53070edPost:f3279da8-9606-45d9-846b-48f21f6bf232">Re: Knives as wedding gift</a>:
    [QUOTE]After my Bridal Shower this past weekend i could open a house of knives lol small town, big shower so ppl dont really go off the registry and we got knives from 5 different ppl. <strong>From your explaination is it that one knife alone is $100. Because the only thing i can see is that ppl i feel like dont like spending big bucks on something physically small.</strong>.. you know. So that could be the case... but i think that's silly cause you registered for it, you know if someone gives you a single knife that it cost them $100 lol i hope for ur FIs sake that someone pick it up :)
    Posted by l_everett[/QUOTE]

This was the case with my cousin's FI's shower that was a few weeks ago.  They've owned a home together for about a year now so they didn't really register for things other than lots of cookware items and knives.  My cousin is an amazing cook.  After talking with others that were at the shower, no one wanted to buy such a small item for so much money... I guess it's not as "showy."  My aunt ended up buying ALL of the knives and gave them one huge gift.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yeah, they are individual knives. If we registered for a full set of the kind FI wants, it would be many hundreds of dollars, so that seemed excessive so we broke it up into individual knives. I think you guys are probably right on the reasoning. Hopefully now that there aren't a ton of options left on our registry, someone will pick them up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I stalk my registries multiple times a day! I think I'm obsessed! Might make for a new reality show! lol.

My FI was all into picking out knives too! We put a really nice $300 block set on our registry. I would LOVE to get this set too! We also have a set of 8 steak knives on there too.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • bblouinbblouin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We registered for VERY expensive knoves, they are shun knives.  For a five piece block it was $600.  Each individual one are around $200.  I made it well known that I wanted the knives.  I asked a whole lot of people and they went in on it.  I would tell people that you want them and suggest going in on them.
  • We registered for a $200 Calphalon knife set. It was actually the second thing bought off our registry (after the crock pot.) So, I think it just depends on the people buying the gifts? Like maybe they don't value knifes as much, so they don't buy them? I'm not sure. We got the knifes at one of our showers.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I would honestly not buy someone knives for a wedding gift - because I think 100+ dollars for a set of knives is ridiculous  and I'd rather buy something more substantial as a gift.

But I'm not a chef or even much a "cooker", so I don't know about quality knives.  So maybe all your guests are like me - and just want to get something "bigger".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We bought our friends knives last year for their wedding. And I did it because I knew that's what my FI would appreciate the most and the groom isn't thought of as much as the bride. But we're both people who like to cook so I guess we see the value in that?

If you've gotten gift cards at your shower or as a gift you can always use those to purchase the knives.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have the same problem but worse even.  We registered for an amazing knife set that FI really wanted and noone has bought it.  We received a BBB generic knife set from his aunt and cousin that cost like $50.  I'm kind of annoyed because the nice knife set is at Macy's and now we have to return to BBB.  We actually have the knife set they bought us but it rusted in like a year, so we registered for a nice one but I doubt anyone will buy it if they were at the shower and saw it.

Anniversary
  • Funny this came up b/c we JUST got our big-ticket-item knife set as an early wedding gift from a good friend of my parents'. I was ecstatic! It the was the most expensive thing on our registry. I, too, debated on whether to do individual knives or a set. I decided on the set thinking people could go in on it together. Never did I think someone would buy it singly.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying people individual knives, if I knew they loved to cook and would use them a lot. I think it's an awesome gift that many people wouldn't splurge on for themselves.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll find as the wedding gets closer and the registry winds down, someone will bite. Otherwise, gift cards or wedding money are great suggestions if it's something you really want. Hope it works out!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatieK501KatieK501 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I can remember my mom telling me about the knife superstition before I was ever engaged and thinking about bridal registries; the tradition is that you "buy" knives from the person who wants to give them to you for a penny.  I've been to a wedding shower where the gift giver actually included a penny with the knives to give back.

I'm not superstitious, but I think it's kind of cute, so I might carry a couple of pennies with me to my shower.  Because I can't stop registry stalking, I know that someone has bought a set of steak knives that we registered for, and my FMIL bought us a bread knife (b/c they love to make homemade bread and could not believe I didn't have a bread knife).

Bmore - hopefully someone will get you those knives for a wedding gift!
  • My aunt & uncle bought us a $300 knife set that we didn't register for...we LOVED the thought and it was definitely generous! and she asked for them back because I asked for a gift receipt...so now we're probably not getting anything from them...which is kind of rude of them to take a gift back...but whatever...but we only registered for some extra steak knives..even those I'll be taking off because we really do not need them!! 
  • Fi really wants our knives set too. I told him if we dont recieve them we will buy them afterwards if not with gift money but for a christmas gift to ourselves.
    pregnancy calendar
  • LM - What?! How can someone ask for a gift back? Talk about rude! Sorry girl!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards