Honeymoon Discussions

Boston- suggestions?

My FI and I were originally going to head to Jamaica for our honeymoon, but after careful consideration of cost we decided to stay domestic. Boston came up on our discussion list thanks to it's relative close proximity (we live in PA) and the delicious lobster we could eat in and around Boston. We also discovered that the Red Sox (my family favorite) are playing the Orioles (big fan favorite in our area) that Friday we plan to be honeymooning so a trip to Fenway Park would be on our agenda.

Anyone honeymoon in Boston and have suggestions on places to stay? Pubs to eat at? Things to do and places to see?

I should mention our honeymoon would be mid-September.

Re: Boston- suggestions?

• If you're a lobster fan, get a lobster roll at the Neptune Oyster Bar in the north end.  The downside of NOB is they don't take reservations and it might be the smallest restaraunt I've ever been to.  They will take your cell # and call you when a seat is available.  I usually avoid places that don't take reservations, but NOB is worth it and the north end is a nice place to walk around for a bit.
  • Boston is a fun city and should have great weather in Sept. We stayed at Club Quarters last time we were there, and although the hotel itself was nothing special, it was right in the heart of the financial district and just a short walk anywhere we wanted to go. DH and I will be making our 2nd trip to Boston Sept 7-10 and we will be staying at the Millennium which was recommended to me on the TripAdvisor boards.

The last time we were there, the restaurant that stood out to me was the Union Oyster House - the oldest restaurant in the US. Great food!

Have fun :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There are lots of fun things to do in Boston.

A sox game is always fun and by mid-September people will practically be giving tickets away!

Do you have an idea of how much you would like to spend for a hotel or any particular area you would want to stay in? I would suggest someone in the city, so you don't have to drive many places.

Is there anything else that interests you?
  • I just posted an entry in my travel blog on a trip I took several years ago to Boston here.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_boston-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:131c04a2-57eb-4303-ae81-0785f0bcec53Post:44ea2917-495b-48c2-9658-5a56db50cd81">Re: Boston- suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There are lots of fun things to do in Boston. A sox game is always fun and by mid-September people will practically be giving tickets away! Do you have an idea of how much you would like to spend for a hotel or any particular area you would want to stay in? I would suggest someone in the city, so you don't have to drive many places. Is there anything else that interests you?
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

I'm a history nerd so I'd love to take tours of the city. And our first date was ghost tour in Gettysburg, so I think it'd be neat to do a ghost tour in Boston since it's such a historic city. We like things out of the ordinary, or off the beaten path to do, and love to try new things.
  • I would recommend eating at the Summer Shack in Boston.  They have great fish tacos, and burgers, fish and chips, etc.  If you want a fancy dinner place, I'd suggest The Capital Grill, Grill 23, Flemings, Abe & Louies, or Mortons.  They're all fantastic and very pricey.  

For history, I'd walk the Freedom Trail.  It's free and will take you all through the North End and other places.  You could do a duck tour too, which is kind of cheesey, but fun I guess.  IF you want ghosts and history, I'd suggest doing a day trip to Salem where the witch trials happened. That would be a perfect time to go too because it wouldn't be a zoo like it is really close to Halloween.  

www.tripadvisor.com is a great resource too.  
  • I swear by www.tripadvisor.com for restaurants and hotels. I have used them extensively for a lot of travels over recent years.

If you like history I highly recommend the JFK Library. I am older and was alive when he was assassinated, and  the museum was really moving to me. Even younger people get the history involved because there is a lot there regarding the entire family.

The Freedom Trail will take you along all the historic items you want to see like the cemeteries, Old North Church, Faneiul Hall........these are MUST sees, LOL.

If you are sports fans, I'd also recommend seeing the Celtics if they are playing when you are there (I forget when the pre-season starts). The Garden is really cool, even if it is "new".

Other historic places outside Boston proper: Lexington, the "start" of the Revolutionary War. "Bunker Hill", which is in Boston, but outside downtown (I think, it's been a long time since I've been there).
  • Thanks for all of the great suggestions! Someone had mentioned Ben & Jerry's factory tour- does anyone know how far from Boston that is driving?
  • Ben and jerrys is up in vt like 34 hs away. You can do a brewery tour at Sam Adams in Jamaica plain a Boston neighborhood If you go to fenway game on has the beat burgers. But it is an absolute zoo on game day. Al forno is good for Italian in the north end as is modern pastry. You can do a Boston harbor cruise and go out to the harbor islands. Duck tours and freedom trail are some good touristy activities. Ive lived in a nearby suburb my whole life.
  • Union oyster house is good as pp mentioned. BUT stay away from fanieul hall as much as possible. Go walk around for an hour or two but there aren't great options for food there and it is so overpriced.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_boston-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:131c04a2-57eb-4303-ae81-0785f0bcec53Post:78cdb5cf-159d-41be-b79f-8c2ca53560c1">Re:Boston suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Union oyster house is good as pp mentioned. BUT stay away from fanieul hall as much as possible. Go walk around for an hour or two but there aren't great options for food there and it is so overpriced.
    Posted by TheSlowskys[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of Slowskys suggestions!
  • In Response to Re:Boston suggestions?:
    All great ideas!!  Here's some things in Boston off the top of my head:
    In addition to Sam Adams Brewery - Harpoon has a brewery in the seaport.  I believe they have tours on weekends, but they have free tastings at 2pm and 4pm on weekdays.

If you're going to Fenway but can't get tickets, check out The Bleacher Bar - it's a bar built into the stadium, but you can get to it from the outside. Also, Tasty Burger is a great place for a quick, cheap burger in that area.

Two of my favorite restaurants in Boston are Mistral ($$$$, but worth every penny) and Tremont 647 in the South End.

If you're going in September, depending on the weather you could check out the Boston Harbor Islands or Crane Beach in Ipswitch.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards