Pennsylvania

Reception Venue for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Hi everyone,

I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts on the boards, and now it's my turn to ask for some help. My wedding is in June 2012, and I'm really trying to cross the biggest "to-do" off my list: where the reception will be held.

I'm on a tight budget since my fiance and I will be paying for our own wedding. I've been searching high and low for months for a nice, inexpensive place to have the reception. I would prefer if it was near Dallas (my hometown) and Wilkes-Barre, but I'm willing to go as far as Scranton and Moosic. 

I've searched and found a lot of places.. some nice but too expensive, and others in my price range but outdated. I'm hoping one of you knotties know of a secret gem out there. I'm even open to a venue that not many people use or would consider necessarily a place to have a wedding reception.. I'm willing to be creative! I'll greatly appreciate any ideas you throw out there. :) Thanks in advance!

Re: Reception Venue for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

• edited December 2011
    What type of "feel" are you going for? What are the names of the places you have ruled out?
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I guess I can start by saying what type of feel I'm not going for.. Laughing
    I've seen the unique idea of having a reception in a barn (such as at Friedman Farms). Although I've attended a wedding like this and thought that it was beautiful, I just don't think it's for me. I'm also not thrilled about having a reception at a country club--too ritzy. I do think places, such as Genetti's, are nice and classy (and I haven't yet ruled them out), but they may be a little too flashy for me. I consider myself to have more of a simple taste. 
    The price of the venue is also one of the most important. I'm HOPING that I can find a place that will charge no more than $35/pp. I'm sure that's possible if I did a lot of the work myself, possibly renting a place and caterers separately, but I also wanted to explore other options. 
    I know a lot of people feel that they have to have the biggest and the best for their wedding, but I really just want something simple, beautiful, and memorable, if you get my drift? I would love if it was somewhere scenic, possibly near a lake. Just somewhere nice to take photographs instead of the middle of the city with nothing but blacktop to look at.
    Through many postings that I've scoped on these boards, I've found Inne at the Abingtons to be the closest to what I'm looking for. They are really affordable and have the simple style I'm looking for. I made an appointment for next week to look at the facility, and I'm hoping to find at least one another venue that is similar in taste and price.
    Thanks!

• myfeverplaysmyfeverplays member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at The Inne of the Abingtons next June. I looked at about 7 venues around the area all together and they did have the best prices out of all of them, so much is included in the  price that was not included in most of the other venue prices so that was also a plus. We didn't choose the Inne because of the price either (although it is a VERY nice plus!) We chose because we wanted a simple, vintage type feel with a nice outdoor space for our ceremony and the minute I walked into teh ballroom I knew I wanted our reception there. Like I said, my wedding isn't until next June, but so far they have been really great to work with and seem very laid back with everything!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Oh wow, that's great!! I didn't see the Innes yet, but just from the pictures alone, I fell in love with it. I felt so happy after looking through their website and what they had to offer (which is more than I can say when I looked at other places), and I'm sure actually seeing it in person will be even better.
    I saw that you're having yours on June 9th. I'm shooting for June 30th, although I called and spoke with John this morning, and he said that they already have a wedding booked in the ballroom for later that evening, but I could have mine earlier. I'm not sure how that would work exactly.. We could also choose another date, which I'm not entirely crazy about, but I'm trying to keep our options open. :)
    How is your wedding planning coming? Have you gotten pretty much everything lined up for your big day?
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • myfeverplaysmyfeverplays member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No problem! I had a feeling you might run into some hiccups with your date. I originally wanted my date for May 26th, 2012 and they were booked so we moved it back a couple weeks which was okay because our "anniversary" is June 6th! We booked back in February, originally I wanted to wait until I saw what the venues would like in the spring/summer but everyone told me that the summer would book quickly so thats why I changed my mind and booked then, especially when I asked about May and the date was gone! I have been posting on the June 2012 board as well and have noticed a few people who are just booking have had to move their dates! :(  I hope everything works out for you! 

I have been able to get most of my big things checked off! Photographer, Videographer, Officiant, Flowers, DJ, bridesmaid dresses...the biggest thing I have yet to do is my dress and a whole lots off DIY projects!!

Good luck with your planning! This board always seems so slow but its so nice to get to chat with someone planning in your area!!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards