Massachusetts-Boston

Sister's wedding vent part 2

Thanks so much for the response. I am aware that there are a lot of different things being tangled together in one issue and I am not trying to lump it all together and blame the Mormons, but the more time my sister has spent going to the temple, the further she has gotten from our family, and while this is probably not the church's fault, it feels like it has something to do with it. As for handing the planning off, she didn't do that... well, she handed it off to me when I arrived on Tuesday. She hadn't prepared for anything and had a list of to dos for our family and kept saying his family would be there any minute to help but then they never showed up. I take that back. The day before the wedding my family worked all day (through the rehearsal dinner we didn't know about) and his family showed up at 12:30AM. We left at 1. The next day she said to my mom, "wasn't it nice of his family to stay and help me," and made no mention of everything our friends and family had done. It feels like she only sees his family and her church friends and we are invisible, and my sister was never like this before. She was always very aware of others feelings and grateful.

The bishop and grooms family definitely played down the ring ceremony. They were supposed to be at the hall at 3PM and most didn't come until 5:30. Three groomsmen didn't get there until 6:20 (wedding was supposed to start at 6) and while the bridesmaids were walking down the aisle, several other family members joined the processional and found their seats at the front. And the bishop made sure we understood that this was not a real ceremony countless times. It was very uncomfortable.

In response to Ekob, I think the thing that bothered me most was that my sister didn't really look at our family for the enitre ceremony/reception. I know brides are busy but the only time she looked at us was to ask for something (including my 80 year old grandmother). I feel like his family has replaced ours. This was most evident during their getaway. My family was busy trying to get things together and the only reason we didn’t miss the getaway was because my sister couldn’t find the bubbles (one of the guests took all 90). She asked and my aunt said, “Oh my, you’re leaving? Let me get my camera!” (His family had lined up along the walkway without telling anyone else). He husband whispered audibly that his family was ready to go and she repeated, “We need to go. His family is ready to leave.” To which I responded, “Well, our family would like to be apart of this, could you wait 1 minute.” Literally 1 minute! She said yes but for the whole minute he was pulling her to the door and telling her they needed to go.

There was so much more but I’ll stop for now.

Re: Sister's wedding vent part 2

• eouelleteouellet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I feel awful for you and your family.  While I think the religious aspect of you guys not being able to participate in the actual ceremony definitely sucks, I'm willing to accept that this is religious tradition and not a personal insult to you or your family at all (as jaguarjen so eloquently discussed in your other thread.)  If it were just the religious aspects bothering you, I'd recommend that you just try to accept it and move on.  BUT, what I'm hearing even more so in this post is that it's more of an issue with your sister's and her in-laws treatment (or rather, ignoring) of your family that is bothering you - and that is an issue that you absolutely can and should address with her before things get too set in stone.  Perhaps she is just trying to assimilate herself more into her new community and religion and doesn't even realize what she's doing - in which case, maybe you talking about it will help her see the unintended negative consequences of her behavior.  It is also possible that her new family members are just judgmental assholes and are consciously trying to push you out from their and your sister's lives - in which case, she also may just need some outside perspective.  Good luck to you and your family.
  • megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_sisters-wedding-vent-part-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:14b38787-6025-4ffe-b9ce-b4656be411c9Post:617cb052-e49b-402c-882a-1044a2000293">Re: Sister's wedding vent part 2</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I feel awful for you and your family.  While I think the religious aspect of you guys not being able to participate in the actual ceremony definitely sucks, I'm willing to accept that this is religious tradition and not a personal insult to you or your family at all (as jaguarjen so eloquently discussed in your other thread.)  If it were just the religious aspects bothering you, I'd recommend that you just try to accept it and move on.  BUT, what I'm hearing even more so in this post is that it's more of an issue with your sister's and her in-laws treatment (or rather, ignoring) of your family that is bothering you - and that is an issue that you absolutely can and should address with her before things get too set in stone.  Perhaps she is just trying to assimilate herself more into her new community and religion and doesn't even realize what she's doing - in which case, maybe you talking about it will help her see the unintended negative consequences of her behavior.  It is also possible that her new family members are just judgmental assholes and are consciously trying to push you out from their and your sister's lives - in which case, she also may just need some outside perspective.  Good luck to you and your family.
    Posted by eouellet[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

Sorry you have to go through this, but talking to your sister (when you are calm) and trying to focus on the part of feeling ignored or de-valued may work best. If you bring it up as a religious issue, she might get more defensive.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, that sounds even rougher than I would have imagined!  It sounds like her husband's family is very domineering.  In your shoes I'd probably end up asking her how she's adjusting to married life and the new family, and then (whether she says it's a tough adjustment or says it's going swimmingly) gently go into how it feels like you and your family have been pushed aside.

It's funny, because Mormon teachings place such a huge emphasis on family (I think the practice of family home evening is pretty awesome) on the one hand, so it seems like they should put an emphasis on maintaining relationships with both of the couples' families, but on the other hand, part of that emphasis is rooted in the sealed celestial marriage thing, which means from a theological perspective, her new family (which is connected by those temple bonds, especially if her in-laws had a temple marriage as well) is what matters.  So ... in a way those things *are* tangled together, even though some of us were cautioning you to untangle them.    I guess I point that out more to help be prepared for the conversation to go that way.  Emphasizing her new family shouldn't mean excluding her birth family, though, and most Mormons would say the same. 

Her in-laws just sound horribly rude and not a good influence for hospitality.  It's really a shame that you and your family had to deal with all of that at the same time as dealing with the emotional complications of the religious issues, which can be hard enough to deal with even when everyone involved is very welcoming and as inclusive as the religion allows.
  • edited December 2011
    Lundar, check your PMs. I just sent you one. Hugs.
  • lundarlundar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I was a little worried I'd be blasted for this but was hoping I would get some help. This was a tremendous help!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards