Pre-wedding Parties

How many is too many?

Looking for opinions.  So how many pre-wedding parties is too many? I'm a BM in a wedding next year.  The couple just had their e-party a couple weekends ago.  It was a big party with about 80 or so people.  MOG is planning to throw the Jack and Jill (the wedding shower -- not the "fundraiser").  The bride's sister (who is also MOH) is disappointed that she is not throwing the shower.  I'm a bit disappointed too as I['ve always thought this is traditionally the BMs duty.  MOB says we could throw a second shower.  It would be a bridal shower with close family and friends.  How many gifts am I going to have to give this girl? Am I crazy for thinking an e-party and 2 showers is a bit much? I can understand having more than one shower when you have different groups throwing the shower like an office shower or something.  But this second shower would be the same ladies who went to the jack and jill.  I've already given the side-eye since the MOB told me at the e-party that not everyone there was necessarily invited to the wedding!

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: How many is too many?

• edited December 2011
    I personally don't view engagement parties as gift giving occasions...unless I bring a bottle of wine or something.  The fact that they invited people who won't make the cut for the wedding is rude.

If I was a guest in this situation, I would only attend one shower.  I think it is gift grabby to invite the same people twice and expect to get gifts both times, plus a wedding gift.

My friends daughter had 3 showers, but they were COMPLETELY different groups.  One was given at work, one in the grooms home town, and one given by the bridal party for the brides friends and family.  The BP did not show up to the other two, and they were not expected. 
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_many-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:8ddb6876-39ab-4061-9bf1-898cb4357e35Post:ff0f2a4d-a4af-4401-b3a3-86f5d9ae2901">Re: How many is too many?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why are they worried about showers NOW for a wedding that's still a year away? It's far too early to be planning a shower.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Because they are obsessed with this wedding.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you guys (the bridal party) could save up your party planning energy for a bachlorette party, instead?
    Or you guys can offer to co-host with the MOB?
  • m1schlueterm1schlueter member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a member of the bridal party and invited to more than one shower (possibly), you shouldn't feel obligated to bring a gift to more than one shower. And if you are giving the shower, you can consider that the gift. It should be about what you feel comfortable giving.

However, I agree that if a second shower would just be the same people, don't give a shower...plan the amazing bachlorette party! Use all your party planning skills and get together with the MOH and make it a night no one will forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards