Wedding Reception Forum
Options

alcohol at outdoor reception

I need some advice from some knotties who may be more creative than I am. Background info on our site: Our reception is at a newly constructed riverfront area.  It was created last summer so our  Oct. reception will be the first wedding reception to occur there.  it is outside and close to the bar scene in town...only a block or 2 away so we have to have security there.  Ok so my question....we are suppose to have wristbands or something like that if we have alcohol and have guests under 21 (which we will).  Any ideas on what we could do for wristband type things that show a person is 21 besides the kind of tacky paper or plastic wristbands you get at concerts or other events?  The one thing I am trying to consider is that we need them to stay on people as they get them and not have them easily transferred to younger guests.

image 350 Invited so far! image 225 Are ready to party!
image 125 Will be missing out

Re: alcohol at outdoor reception

• Options
    Do you HAVE to have wristbands?  They can't just card people?  Wristbands don't exactly scream "high class" to me...
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_alcohol-outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a172bbf6-4b9f-4304-bbc7-22fc8211eb51Post:88ce7d94-ff51-4fdd-baf3-81b256aa42f4">alcohol at outdoor reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]we are suppose to have wristbands or something like that if we have alcohol and have guests under 21
    Posted by samik41[/QUOTE]

What's the "something like that"?  Is there another option besides wrist bands?  If not, I would just try to find the ones they give at concerts - you know the colored paper ones where one end is sticky and it attaches to the other end on your wrist?  Those things are a pain to get off and you could probably get them in a color that coordinates with your wedding colors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd just ask your bartender to card, every single time, anyone who looks iffy. 
  • Options
    samik41samik41 member
    First Comment

thanks for your responses everyone!  I really dont like the idea of the wristbands but it is part of the contract.  I am going to have a meeting with them to ask about other options but I wanted to have a few ideas when i go for the meeting.  I would like the bartender to card every time he feels it is needed but I dont know if the venue will agree with it.

• Options
    flashbacks to college.

anyway, if your venue REQUIRES wristbands I would just use paper ones that people can rip off or maybe even stamps.

But, I don't understand why carding isn't acceptable.  Is it self-service?
  • Options
    samik41samik41 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010

I think the reason they want the wristbands is because we are renting the venue from the city and they want to cover all their bases to ensure no alcohol is served to minors...I think the security we have is to make sure we dont have wanderers from the bars....we are suppose to have some type of barriers as well like fences or something to keep others out of the reception.

duckie- i agree with the college flashback!

• Options
    A handstamp would probably be better.  You can get one of the ones that use highlighter ink so they don't show up except under a blacklight.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    My question would be at what time in the wedding to you give out wristbands to everyone that is of age....That sounds rediculous to me.
  • Options
    samik41samik41 member
    First Comment

We would give out the wristband or stamp the hand as they enter the reception for the cocktail hour....our ceremony is somewhere else

• Options
    What about working with it and trying to make it cute?  Like buying those personalized ribbons, write something cute like, "Eat, Drink and Be Married" on them, then pass them out and have guests knot them on.  If I was at a wedding and was getting free drinks on you, I'd have ZERO issues wearing a ribbon bracelet :)
  • Options
    samik41samik41 member
    First Comment
    Amers thanks for the idea....i like the ribbon better than the stamp or paper bracelet thing! and the eat drink be married is really cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards