Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Walkability

Re: NWR: Walkability

• My place in LR was a 74. 

Guys I think I have found the hidden talent I have been looking for all my life. I am really good at finding walkable places to live. I wonder how I can use this skill to make money. 
    Photobucket
  • edited April 2012
    Rach, I lived in those newish (well brand new in 2008 when I was there) apartments on the north side of the river right next to the arena. So right across the pedestrian bridge from the market and downtown and everything. My ex could have easily walked to work but he was too lazy. 
    Photobucket
  • You could be a walking consultant and get hired by realtors to explore different cities.  Sounds like a fun job to me!
  • Mine is a 54. But my favorite thing about looking this up is that when I click on "bars", over half of the options are strip clubs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:107f8a5f-8456-4d17-a2ab-e86a43ae89df">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, yea, I know exactly what you're talking about! Those are nice. We're more Midtown, right by the mall. If I walked I would probably die.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>If I had lived there long term I would have rather lived over there. I loved the area around Kavanaugh. I don't remeber what it's called though. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:dc5b5aa0-c320-4e7f-adb4-49c6d2fb0bf4">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine is a 54. But my favorite thing about looking this up is that when I click on "bars", over half of the options are strip clubs.
    Posted by Febechick[/QUOTE]

<div>I grew up in Orlando and I have a feeling the same would be true for the address where I grew up. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Yes, Rach. That's what I'm talking about. That is such a cute area. And my favorite bar was there. Of course I can't remember the name to save my life. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:e9ba9ccf-fdbf-4365-8e4e-e88df347211b">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Walkability : Ha.  Our "local" bookstore is actually a nudie video/bookstore.
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

We also have an adult store (video/books) listed on here as well. Apparently I am not capatilizing on my location very well!
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    My neighborhood here in Kansas City is an 82, which is pretty solid. Really there's pretty much nothing I need that I can'rt get within walking distance. More than anything what I miss about Chicago as opposed to Kansas City is the transit -- walk score does a score for those too and ours is only a 49 -- just buses that don't come very often.

edit: FWIW, Wicker Park in Chicago where we used to live was a 91 -- a walker's paradise haha.
    Lizzie
  • Yes, the fountain is what I'm thinking of. 
    Photobucket
  • Yay!  Our new address starting next week is an 89 :) 
  • My address is only 43.  Not surprising since there's no grocery store nearby. I wonder if this site takes safety into concern at all in it's ranking?  Cause it doesn't do you any good to have a bunch of stuff right near you, if you'll get mugged on your way to or from :).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:bcfc438b-473d-4b11-bb5d-0a6758a81fc2">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]We probably passed eachother there at one point! H hates it because it's always so smoky but I love it.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>I sometimes wonder if I've ever randomly met/passed by other TK people and never knew.  I have IRL FB friends in common with a few knotties, so it's possible!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:7bed4dfd-b06c-4135-8d28-c0ccf1ebdd73">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]My address is only 43.  Not surprising since there's no grocery store nearby. I wonder if this site takes safety into concern at all in it's ranking?  Cause it doesn't do you any good to have a bunch of stuff right near you, if you'll get mugged on your way to or from :).
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

No, it literally just pulls information from Google. It's pretty basic. And if google is missing or miscategorizes something, so will walkscore.
    Lizzie
  • My current apartment is a 6, FI's house is 18 (though Salisbury is a decent 51, kinda happy about that), and my parent's home is a solid 2. Hooray for living in the boonies!
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    LP, I wonder that, too.  I know that I've met Kate IRL before.  More just as a "we were in the same place at the same time" kind of thing.  Somebody on here was in Vegas last weekend (can't remember off the top of my head), and joked that if we saw each other strip we would be lunatics waving.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:3cd33c63-068e-4e48-98bc-f060468042a4">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]My neighborhood here in Kansas City is an 82, which is pretty solid. Really there's pretty much nothing I need that I can'rt get within walking distance. More than anything what I miss about Chicago as opposed to Kansas City is the transit -- walk score does a score for those too and ours is only a 49 -- just buses that don't come very often. edit: FWIW, Wicker Park in Chicago where we used to live was a 91 -- a walker's paradise haha.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

I live in West Town, near Wicker Park and I got an 83.  Where I lived in Lakeview was a 91.

Where I work downtown is a 98!  Not surprising though.  We have everything on Michigan Ave.
  • Rach, I have no doubt that we would have run into eachother if I stayed in LR. I'm sad I didn't know you, I needed friends. 
    Photobucket
  • Our house is a 63; which I think it pretty decent for a suburb.  I've never really understood the whole 'walk to the grocery store' thing though.  I technically could, our store is only 0.6 miles away (though across a major interstate) but what do you do with the groceries?  Do you do daily to just get a few things at a time?  do you take some sort of cart?  I don't get it...
  • Kate, when I lived in Chicago, I went to the Dominics in Lincoln Park area (right next to a stop on the red line, it was two stories), and then carried my bags home on the eL.  We can walk to a grocery store now, but have only done it a handful of times to get pick up something minor or go to Red Box.  Plus it has to be warm out.  I think if I still lived in Chi-town, I'd get a little rolling cart.
  • My current address is a 69. Although to walk to any of the destinations you have to go through some pretty shady neighborhoods, so I think I'd give it more of a 20.

I put my parents' address in, and their score? 6.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:9cbb830d-b47a-4f01-a363-389996727cec">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kate, when I lived in Chicago, I went to the Dominics in Lincoln Park area (right next to a stop on the red line, it was two stories), and then carried my bags home on the eL.  We can walk to a grocery store now, but have only done it a handful of times to get pick up something minor or go to Red Box.  Plus it has to be warm out.  I think if I still lived in Chi-town, I'd get a little rolling cart.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

<div>Ok, it is almost creepy how many of the same places we have lived.  Purdue, Cincinnati, and Chicago - and I even lived in Lincoln Park, though in the part not near the eL stop.  Ha! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:272c4889-c4e8-4f6a-adfc-939f78d155b7">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our house is a 63; which I think it pretty decent for a suburb.  I've never really understood the whole 'walk to the grocery store' thing though.  I technically could, our store is only 0.6 miles away (though across a major interstate) but what do you do with the groceries?  Do you do daily to just get a few things at a time?  do you take some sort of cart?  I don't get it...
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

Before H and I lived together, I always lived across the street from a grocery store and you'd just get what you can carry home.

Now H has a car and we use that.  I still stop after work to grab some little things and just carry them home on the bus.
  • Kate, you bring two big reusable bags and don't buy more than can fit in those bags. When I was single and carless I could fit about 10 days worth of groceries into two bags. My grocery store was about .6 miles away and down hill. It was a great workout carrying back 30 lbs of groceries half a mile up hill. 
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:cfac30e9-58ec-41c2-b944-f8b93423c9be">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm kinda jelaous of everyone with high numbers. I've never lived anywhere walkable. Current apartment is 22 which surprises me it rates that high since my first thought in moving there was "Where the hell are the sidewalks?". The new place is a 38 and thats only because of a sub shop and park within 1/2 a mile.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

I grew up in the 'burbs as a kid, but since being old enough to have a choice have endeavored to live somewhere at least vaguely walkable and I've become a huge urbanite -- I can never go back now. We both love it too much in the city.
    Lizzie
  • MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:9d3facb5-e335-477f-8576-89000edec073">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Walkability : Ok, it is almost creepy how many of the same places we have lived.  Purdue, Cincinnati, and Chicago - and I even lived in Lincoln Park, though in the part not near the eL stop.  Ha! 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

And you know, the fact that you and my friend got married in the same church.  I think you guys went to the same high school, no?  That giant one in northwest Indiana near South Bend.

TOO FUNNY!  I love Chicago . . . sigh.

ETA:  I lived in the Loop and then in Rogers Park in Chicago.  Rogers Park is just south of Evanston.
  • This thread has made me realized that I have lived in a lot of different cities.  I just counted 12 cities.  I'm 29,   That's an average of a new city every 2.5 years.  5 of the cities have been since 2007.  When we finally buy a house here, I'm not moving again for at least 10 years.  Preferably never. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:eb33c605-8416-4d71-9420-feb33744a02c">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Walkability : I grew up in the 'burbs as a kid, but since being old enough to have a choice have endeavored to live somewhere at least vaguely walkable and I've become a huge urbanite -- I can never go back now. We both love it too much in the city.
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>I know. I love being in town and being able to walk everywhere, but I also want to live on a farm. I really don't know how I'm ever going to reconcile this. </div>
    Photobucket
  • LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-walkability?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba047b1e-482f-4c47-afa4-9bdbc2ff8047Post:643e2e94-eb5a-4481-b254-3ab45be6d792">Re: NWR: Walkability</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Walkability : And you know, the fact that you and my friend got married in the same church.  I think you guys went to the same high school, no?  That giant one in northwest Indiana near South Bend. TOO FUNNY!  I love Chicago . . . sigh. ETA:  I lived in the Loop and then in Rogers Park in Chicago.  Rogers Park is just south of Evanston.
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha I forgot about that! Yes, I went to HS and college with her.  We weren't super close but we did have a ton of mutual friends. So funny.  I think MilkDuds figured out a long time ago that I went to HS with her MOH, too. </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: "That giant one near South Bend" made me laugh because it's true.  I've heard they are now up to almost 4.000 students.  When I graduated, there was "only" 3,000.</div>
  • I've been wondering about MilkDuds, given that she lives in Indiana.  That is such a small world (although it's a big high school).  I bet everyone knows someone who went to either that school or Ben Davis.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards