Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dear Congress...

Re: Dear Congress...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:f4284b90-94ca-4f9a-b26f-623dd2fccc39">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think they're going to get anywhere until they stop blaming everyone else and start using their energy to come to a budget agreement. I don't know much about the breakdown of the budget, but <strong>I assume that part of that budget is dedicated to personal transportation for all of the politicians. What's wrong with driving your own car and buying your own plane tickets? </strong>Obviously there are much bigger problems than this, but I feel like this would cut down costs quite a bit as well.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Honestly? Would you rather your representative NEVER came home and fell completely out of touch with the district? Members don't really make that much money in the grand scheme of things, they certainly don't have enough disposable income to buy hundreds of dollars worth of plane tickets every month. They often have to change flights last minute because things come up. Many members' families stay at home because its too expensive for them to all move to DC. Everyone is mad at Congress right now and wants them to do their job, making them pay for their own travel would not help them do their job at all. And still, at the end of the day it would be a drop in the bucket.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:5ca398c6-0b18-458e-8467-7cf34bea917b">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Birdie, I can't get into my beliefs now cause I'm working and all (I REALLY AM!!), btu we can discuss it some time. Personally, I don't think it's May 21 and I don't believe that it's going to happen rightthissecond. But I think with the economy falling, increasing natural disasters, wars in the Middle East, there's just a lot of signs. But I will be really pissed if 2012 is real. <strong>I do think I'm goign to hang with the big J,</strong> but I want babies first. #selfishpartyof1
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Not me.  If I show up at the Pearlies I'm sure it'll be all "Seriously? Yeeeeeeeeahno."

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:5ca398c6-0b18-458e-8467-7cf34bea917b">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Birdie, I can't get into my beliefs now cause I'm working and all (I REALLY AM!!), btu we can discuss it some time. Personally, I don't think it's May 21 and I don't believe that it's going to happen rightthissecond. But I think with the economy falling, increasing natural disasters, wars in the Middle East, there's just a lot of signs. <strong>But I will be really pissed if 2012 is real. I do think I'm goign to hang with the big J, but I want babies first. #selfishpartyof1</strong>

I'm with you. I'm going to be pissed if the world ends RIGHT AFTER I FINALLY finish school.
    But at least I wouldn't have to pay my loans back.
  • Ditto LVB.  I mentioned today that I'm hoping H and I have a 2012 baby, and one of my coworkers said "You're going to bring a baby into the world as it's ending?"  Fail.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:f4284b90-94ca-4f9a-b26f-623dd2fccc39">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think they're going to get anywhere until they stop blaming everyone else and start using their energy to come to a budget agreement. I don't know much about the breakdown of the budget, but I assume that part of that budget is dedicated to personal transportation for all of the politicians. What's wrong with driving your own car and buying your own plane tickets? Obviously there are much bigger problems than this, but I feel like this would cut down costs quite a bit as well.
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

The CA state budget/debt is out of freaking control and one of the things Gov. Brown is doing/wants to do (I can't remember which, sorry I suck) is get rid of all the cellphones that ALL government workers get and have paid by the taxpayers. That is approximately 96,000 cellphones and a sizeable chunk of debt right there. I think it's a step in the right direction and sometimes, starting with the "little" things like this can pave the way to make changes to bigger spending issues.

But I'm not very educated on politics in general and tend to be an ostrich most of the time and tip-toe through each day prentending it all doesn't affect me. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Anna, I love you. I wish you were here today when I was the one to drop the bomb on a CW that the government may shut down. She wanted to know who decided to shut the government down and when I started explaining things to her she wanted to know why they waited until the last minute to make a decision.
  • HAHAHAH good point. I should start racking up debt like crazy. I will say that i'll be a basketcase that week though.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Seriously Rosie? I know I live in DC and work in politics and whatever so I obviously have an edge on this stuff, but the level of ignorance of the issue in general baffles me. I was 9 when the government shut down in 1995 and I still knew it was happening before it happened. This might be mainly because it ruined our 4th grade trip to St. Augustine since we couldn't go in the fort, but still.
  • When is the world supposed to end? It's December something, 2012, right?

If so, at least I'll get my Europe trip. But that's pretty close to my anniversary.
  • LVB, are you heading for the hills since the economy will shut down for all that don't sign on with the antichrist?  I'm not being facetious, I've just met people who are awaiting the Rapture, and they tend to move to rural areas to avoid dealing with the economy shutdown predicted in Revelation. 

I think unless we call the global religion naturalism, there are a lot of signs missing, so I don't think the end is coming. Yet.

So that means that I think Congress and the Senate should get together and not screw us all out of the things the government is supposed to do for us.  I hate career politicians, they're posturing for the sake of (re-)elections and partisanship, and they're forgetting that they're supposed to be representing the people at large.
  • Dec. 21, 2012, I think.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:5b12a7da-353e-4097-8f66-c3ac716961ce">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Seriously Rosie? I know I live in DC and work in politics and whatever so I obviously have an edge on this stuff, but the level of ignorance of the issue in general baffles me. I was 9 when the government shut down in 1995 and I still knew it was happening before it happened. This might be mainly because it ruined our 4th grade trip to St. Augustine since we couldn't go in the fort, but still.
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

We were all talking about it and she said, "Yeah, what is this all about anyways?"

OMG it drives me crazy. I
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:d4b76348-933d-432f-bbd0-3b9d1b739540">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Congress... : The CA state budget/debt is out of freaking control and one of the things Gov. Brown is doing/wants to do (I can't remember which, sorry I suck) <strong>is get rid of all the cellphones that ALL government workers get and have paid by the taxpayers. That is approximately 96,000 cellphones and a sizeable chunk of debt right there</strong>. I think it's a step in the right direction and sometimes, starting with the "little" things like this can pave the way to make changes to bigger spending issues. But I'm not very educated on politics in general and tend to be an ostrich most of the time and tip-toe through each day prentending it all doesn't affect me. :(
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

Oh that's pretty awesome. I agree, little things would help and we are talking about a budget of 4 trillion so big things need to be cut away as well.
  • I think the fact that GE paid NOT ONE penny in taxes last year is a much bigger problem than cell phones or Chargers.

In fact WE paid THEM 3.2 BILLION dollars. The system is effing broken.

The company, led by Immelt, earned $14.2 billion in profits in 2010, but it paid not a penny in taxes because the bulk of those profits, some $9 billion, were offshore. In fact, GE got a $3.2 billion tax benefit.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558
    Lizzie
  • Hell no, I'm not moving! Until they start implanting chips in me in order for me to buy my damn bread and milk I'm staying put. Or I guess if I saw the big bad red guy, I'd probably move then too. I have no contingency plans. None.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • I definitely should educate myself more on how our government works and major events that lead to things like our current situation. I know it affects all of us and I should care more about it. But I don't. :(  I find it boring and confusing to read about and keep track of everything.

But give me a history book and I'm good. I just want to go live on a family farm and be self-sustaining or something.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:38d7dda5-5984-4f12-aa84-5a0ce88f2eab">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Congress... : Oh that's pretty awesome. I agree, little things would help and we are talking about a budget of 4 trillion so big things need to be cut away as well.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Why should the general public have to pay for their fancy cell phones/bills and other things that the general public is already paying for for ourselves? Big and little things cut = lots of money saved. It may be a drop in the bucket but I'd rather have it in the bucket than out of it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:c634f2b7-68e1-4dfe-8eb0-8078ad85964a">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]LVB, are you heading for the hills since the economy will shut down for all that don't sign on with the antichrist?  I'm not being facetious, I've just met people who are awaiting the Rapture, and they tend to move to rural areas to avoid dealing with the economy shutdown predicted in Revelation. 
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

My mom listens to this crazy conspiracy theory radio show in the wee hours of the night when she can't sleep and for Christmas this year, she bought H and I this 72 hour emergency kit thing.  It's a red backpack with meal bars, bottled water, some fancy windup flashlight, a super warming aluminum sleeping bag, etc.  It's to get us from here to my aunt & uncle's house in the mountains of VA.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:f479c6ab-6eb4-4722-bed4-d223e8f43793">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hell no, I'm not moving! Until they start implanting chips in me in order for me to buy my damn bread and milk I'm staying put. <strong>Or I guess if I saw the big bad red guy, I'd probably move then too</strong>. I have no contingency plans. None.

Is it really weird that when I read this I immediately  thought of Western Kentucky's mascot and not the devil?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:2f598769-e78c-4189-90ef-bfdf97770d40">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the fact that GE paid NOT ONE penny in taxes last year is a much bigger problem than cell phones or Chargers. In fact WE paid THEM 3.2 BILLION dollars. The system is effing broken. The company, led by Immelt, earned $14.2 billion in profits in 2010, but it paid not a penny in taxes because the bulk of those profits, some $9 billion, were offshore. In fact, GE got a $3.2 billion tax benefit. <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558" rel='nofollow'>http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558</a>
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

I agree with this it's bullsh!t. It makes me angry that they found a loophole to not pay into the system. Where is my husband's loophole? If we (Average Americans) didn't pay our taxes we'd be panelized. There are no loopholes for us. My mom makes 20 grand a year and has to pay 2000 in taxes.
  • When the world goes to shiit, H and I are moving back to rural KY to stay with H's family. BIL has a lot of guns and knows how to hunt, and FIL and SIL are doctors. We'd be set.
    I guess I should learn to do something useful. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:d60d0a86-e1c2-4629-9058-3b6b9f7c840a">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely should educate myself more on how our government works and major events that lead to things like our current situation. I know it affects all of us and I should care more about it. But I don't. :(  I find it boring and confusing to read about and keep track of everything. But give me a history book and I'm good. I just want to go live on a family farm and be self-sustaining or something.

I think the hard thing for me is the differing stories. The same current event could be spun in a million different ways depending on who you watch or what you read. It is extremely frustrating to wade through all of the new stories trying to differentiate between the truth and the.. uh.. not truth?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:d60d0a86-e1c2-4629-9058-3b6b9f7c840a">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definitely should educate myself more on how our government works and major events that lead to things like our current situation. I know it affects all of us and I should care more about it. But I don't. :(  I find it boring and confusing to read about and keep track of everything. But give me a history book and I'm good. I just want to go live on a family farm and be self-sustaining or something.
    I'm with you on this one. I try and I just get so frustrated about everything that I just stop paying attention.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:eabf724d-8cae-45e4-af0e-0df04a00d19a">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Congress... : Is it really weird that when I read this I immediately  thought of Western Kentucky's mascot and not the devil?
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]
    HAHAHHA
    WHAT THE FUUCK IS A HILLTOPPER?!?!?
  • anna, I'm right there with you. I'm not sure where this idea that Congressmen make bazillions of dollars comes from, but I've seen some houses where a few of them live and they're not mansions. Not to say some of them don't live in mansions, it's just not a given. And yeah, I wouldn't take a job that required me to work in another city and have to pay my own way home all the time. Especially if going home was also required for the job.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:6ba2d853-b4a4-4e96-ae3d-08233819e1d3">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]When the world goes to shiit, H and I are moving back to rural KY to stay with H's family. BIL has a lot of guns and knows how to hunt, and FIL and SIL are doctors. We'd be set. I guess I should learn to do something useful. 
    Posted by cengle[/QUOTE]
    Can I come? I can sew, so I could learn to make clothes and stuff. H can....well, he's useless. He's a city boy. BUT! I'll breed with him and we'll make lots of strong farm  hands.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:7bc6784e-f566-4fc5-b7ae-c36c625ea4b6">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Congress... : I think the hard thing for me is the differing stories. The same current event could be spun in a million different ways depending on who you watch or what you read. It is extremely frustrating to wade through all of the new stories trying to differentiate between the truth and the.. uh.. not truth?
    Posted by Rosie109[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. It can be hard to figure out what's really going on. And completely unbiased media seems to be a thing of the past.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:a7e4fe45-ec33-45a2-bc52-7d5bf6101bc9">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dec. 21, 2012, I think.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>WTF, that will finally be my first Christmas with H!</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:a436c183-1b53-400a-b544-dc6e7a21f73b">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]anna, I'm right there with you. I'm not sure where this idea that Congressmen make bazillions of dollars comes from, but I've seen some houses where a few of them live and they're not mansions. Not to say some of them don't live in mansions, it's just not a given. And yeah, I wouldn't take a job that required me to work in another city and have to pay my own way home all the time. Especially if going home was also required for the job.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

Seriously. For example, my FI's boss sleeps in his office so he doesn't have to pay for an apartment here. And he used to be a doctor so coming to Congress was a HUGE paycut for him. And his wife refuses to come to DC so if he never went home he'd never see her. And I totally understand members with young children wanting to leave their kids in their home schools with their friends instead of either expsosing them to DC's horrendous public schools or paying out the ass for private school.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_dear-congress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9824befc-7d7c-461d-bf0c-795d4f310979Post:76880b8f-ff8e-4b78-8402-60dfbaf2ec54">Re: Dear Congress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Congress... : Not me.  If I show up at the Pearlies I'm sure it'll be all "Seriously? Yeeeeeeeeahno."
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Haha me too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards