Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding programs really necessary?

My guy and I are getting married in a very casual ceremony at a local park in September. (The guys are wearing white polo shirts and dark brown cargo shorts. I'm trying to find a short, sundress-like wedding dress for the day.) The wedding/reception are in the same spot, all they will have to do is turn their chairs around and go help themselves to the BBQ buffet. A friend recently told me I needed to make wedding programs. Call me cheap or a smarty-pants, but my question is this: Do we really need wedding programs? What's the purpose of them, especially if it tells people we're getting married (they should know that!) and there is a reception? (again, duh - they can smell the food!)

Re: Wedding programs really necessary?

• I do not think they are necessary.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • For your situation, probably not necessary. We are having a full Catholic mass, and it is pretty detailed, so programs help for the guests to follow along.
  • They are not a legal requirement.  But, personally, I hate it when a wedding doesn't have a program.  I like to know who the BMs and GMs are, and how they know the Bride & Groom (I love the 'friend of the Bride' notations!).  I like to know what song is going to be played when.  I love to know when we've changed from seating music to ceremony music.  If you have readings or sand/rose ceremonies, I want to know that.  I like to be well informed.  

There are templates in my bio, if you're interested.  
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wedding-programs-really-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6bea92dc-92e2-49fe-8ee1-b11623210785Post:be3b5fc0-7e79-4727-bac5-8c22427e2977">Re: Wedding programs really necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]They are not a legal requirement.  But, personally, I hate it when a wedding doesn't have a program.  I like to know who the BMs and GMs are, and how they know the Bride & Groom (I love the 'friend of the Bride' notations!).  I like to know what song is going to be played when.  I love to know when we've changed from seating music to ceremony music.  If you have readings or sand/rose ceremonies, I want to know that.  I like to be well informed.   There are templates in my bio, if you're interested.  
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying.  But I still don't think they are necessary in all weddings.  For instance, we are not having programs.  There will be 55 people at our wedding.  Almost all of them have known us since we were born, or since they were born.  My only BM is my daughter, and everyone at the wedding knows her.  We are not having any songs or readings.  The BM is FH's brother, everyone knows him too.  So, I really don't think it is necessary.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Thanks guys -- You've given me a lot of great advice to think about!! Smile
  • I'm doing mine like church service programs -- on regular printer paper, folded in half.  I'll print out one at home and xerox the rest.  It never even occurred to me to get them professionally printed until I saw posts here. 
  • I'm making my own; mine will have all that Squirrly mentioned, plus a memorial poem, directions to the reception and then directions back to the hotels. Baltimore can be scary to out of towners.
    planning

• Squirrly - would you mind emailing them to me after you convert them to a word doc?  my email is k_osborne18@yahoo.com  -- thanks!  
  • I am having programs, but I don't think they are necessary.

The one thing that convinced me to have them is our ceremony music. We're not using the traditional music. I'm walking down the aisle to "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole. I figured I probably should let my guests know that.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards