Wedding Invitations & Paper

Is it bad to get Save-The-Dates 1+ years in advance?

Most places I look say you are supposed to send them 6 months in advance but we already have our date set and city, we are pressed for time since we have coupons that expire in a few months. We were thinking we can get them and just keep them in the boxes until we are ready to sent them out. Is that too early?

Re: Is it bad to get Save-The-Dates 1+ years in advance?

• I ordered my STD 14 months in advance becuase of a great sale but heald onto them until the 9 month mark.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah the only reason why is because it expires and my FI and I would be foolish not to use it. But I was worried about it being so far from our wedding date. Also, I wish I could respond and let you know where I got the deal from but I was attacked by other knotties on another post for posting where I got my coupons from and posting links. I guess if you look at my posts you may see it. I apologize.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-it-bad-to-get-save-the-dates-1-years-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9bbdb2a8-8362-449c-8c0e-c7612c92acf8Post:e6d19e6d-8f65-4818-89e2-fd7ea50ac161">Re: Is it bad to get Save-The-Dates 1+ years in advance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah the only reason why is because it expires and my FI and I would be foolish not to use it. But I was worried about it being so far from our wedding date. Also, I wish I could respond and let you know where I got the deal from but I was attacked by other knotties on another post for posting where I got my coupons from and posting links. I guess if you look at my posts you may see it. I apologize.
    Posted by DoveLove1020[/QUOTE]

I don't think that was for sharing the Living Social deal, people do it all the time. It was for sharing the personalized link they give you after you buy that allows you to get yours for free if 3 people by from that link.
    Most times folks just post the general link. Also, almost all your posts were for that one item.
  • The very worst that can happen is you'll have to toss them because your date changes. That's just money, and even if it's a lot of money, with all the human issues in wedding planning, it won't be a big deal.

FWIW, I sent out informal STDs to VIPs 51 weeks before our holiday-weekend wedding. I got both appreciation for the heads-up and some eye rolls. You can't please everyone. Now some future-in-law VIP-designees are insisting on, well, actually, they're insisting on invitations 8 months out. Obviously, they're not getting that, but they'll get the informal STDs our VIPs got.
  • I understand that but to be rude and continue to be disrespectful even after I stated that I did not know it was "frowned upon" was not enough. It's disheartening. I got it from Living Social, it was a coupon for Vistaprint.
  • It's okay. I wasn't aware of the dislike of it and thought nothing of it. I signed up for Vistaprint because of the coupon deal. I will still use the coupon place because they have good items every once in a while.

Thanks for the advice on the save-the-dates. I feel better about getting them now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_is-it-bad-to-get-save-the-dates-1-years-in-advance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:9bbdb2a8-8362-449c-8c0e-c7612c92acf8Post:f4453557-c983-47b4-bca5-ae14c2e7746e">Re: Is it bad to get Save-The-Dates 1+ years in advance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand that but to be rude and continue to be disrespectful even after I stated that I did not know it was "frowned upon" was not enough. It's disheartening. I got it from Living Social, it was a coupon for Vistaprint.
    Posted by DoveLove1020[/QUOTE

I'm sorry you encountered people that upset you. My post wasn't intended to be rude /> I was just trying to explain where some people may have been coming from.
    Feel free to post info on deals and such. People were just trying to point out that the particular (personalized) link you posted allowed you to receive your deal for free if 3 people purchased and they thought you should disclose that.

Good luck with Vistaprint, we used them for our STDs and love them.
  • My wedding is for 3.23.13 and I just received my STD's I ordered in the mail today =)  I too came across a great (not living social) deal - I got 60 postcard style STD cards for $37.20.  Cant pass that up!   I'm not too sure when I'm mailing them, either the 9 or the 6 month mark, but regardless I got them early too for the same reason you are debating it.....  and they are perfect!   Go for it if you got a good deal - there's no harm in hanging on to them!   
  • The other thing about getting them early is its an expense that you don't have to worry about later when other vendors/things may need to be paid. And you can prep them at your leisure. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I ordered my save the dates from Vistaprint with a Groupon.  They came and look great, but I'm going to wait a few months to mail. Since I ordered the small magnets, ordering them earlier gave me some time to attach them to pieces of pretty cardstock too. 

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I totally intend to send my save the dates almost a year in advance because Im potentially "competing" for dates with my cousin who is not engaged but ring shopping for his engagement ring now.  His wedding will be in the US and mine in Canada so if I set my date before he even proposes I can't expect to coordinate dates with him with a conversation, I'll just have to tell him THIS is my wedding date, don't even think about it....only in a classy way....with a save the date card :P

Just remember if everyone waits until the 6 month mark to send the STDs, they kind of have less of a purpose.  Any wedding you're competing with will have sent their STDs that same month.  Do other brides a favour and announce the date asap so they can consider whether they want to make their date the same weekend as yours.
  • I think that the timing of your STD notices depends on where the guests are coming from. Half of our guest list is coming from Mexico to Canada for the wedding, so we've already made initial "you're on the guest list, here's the date, we hope you can come" phone calls, and plan to send little notecards to those guests in May or June. If people have to save big bucks in order to travel for your wedding, you need to give them way more than 6 to 9 months to figure out their financials and to plan. 

Personally, I think that STDs are unnecessary for guests who are not travelling from very far away. Just send the invitation a bit earlier and save on money and paper. If you really want them to save the date, then pick up the phone and give them a call. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards