Christian Weddings

Tell me your dress story!

I love wedding dress stories second only to love stories! So, tell me how you found your dress! What was your reaction when you first tried it on? How did you know it was the one? What do you love about it?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tell me your dress story!

• I'm wearing my mom's. We re-designed the top to make stop screaming "80s". It has a spectacular train with lace and lots of delicate details. I love it! We all cried when I tried in on and I love having it on! 

It's not close to done in this picture, but you can see the train. The back is now open and it atually fits now, it's big in this pic. It's been really fun to wear my mom's and yet get to design my own with her help. 

PostCeremony-131.1
  • I had originally purchased a dress that was more of a cupcake-style dress and kind of trendy, which isn't really my style at all. So I ended up returning that dress and having to decide between this dress and this dress from David's. (There was also this Essence of Australia dress, but I didn't really want to spend $1,200 on a dress.)

I ended up picking the lace dress because I ended up deciding that the lace with the sparkle ended up reflecting my style best. (and the fact that once the wedding was over, DH gave me a big hug and whispered in my ear, "You look gorgeous" ... his validation was pretty good.)

From the front ...

From the back ...
  • After looking for a natural waist lace a-line dress in many stores and finding no luck (all the lace dresses were mermaid or drop waist) I was beginning to get discouraged and tried one more store... walking up, I saw THE DRESS in the window. I felt bad asking the lady to pull the dress off the mannequin, so I decided to see if there was anything similar inside. So far no luck, and the sales girl said wait, I have one more dress I think you'd like, so she brings back the dress from the window... it was the dress :D and I love it! (A line, princess cut (slightly higher than natural waist) lace and I love it!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore Melissa Sweet Harlow before Priscilla went out of business.  I knew it was the one when I tried it on. I just felt like the dress was made for me.  It was a bit out of my budget, but I managed to get 20% off because Priscilla wasn't doing so well.  I just loved how it had that flowy bottom part without overwhelming my petite frame.  Now I am trying to sell... I have one interested buyer, so I have my fingers crossed!  
  • I had tried on a number of dresses at DB, but wasn't thrilled with any of them. My mom and I then went to a second shop and the first dress I tried on there was so, so close to what I wanted, but still not quite right. The assistant found me another one in the same style, but with a more intricate pattern.
    When I stood in front of the mirror with it on, my breath caught in my throat. (My mom says I gasped.) I could not stop staring at myself in the dress, and knew that it was the perfect one for me. And yes, DH LOVED it on me too. :D
  • I went in "knowing" I wanted a mermaid, trumpet style dress. I didn't like how I looked in any of them and the consultant convinced me to try on a ballgown dress. I never thought I would end up falling in love with a princess, ballgown. It took 2 more trips to DB before I found the "one". When I came out, everyone went "awww" and I knew it was the one. I LOVE the train on it. As soon as the veil went on and the blusher went over my face, the tears started and I knew it was the one.
    First time trying on dress:

Alterations appt (excuse me grabbing "myself"):

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BekahL90BekahL90 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    My mom, sister (MOH) and I were originally just going to look around and see what there was. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to find what I was looking for (I wanted a dress with sleeves. You know how hard those are to find???). After not even finding any possibilities at the first several places, we ended up in a cute little bridal shop. After looked through a couple racks of dresses, lo and behold, there it was! I saw the picture on the bag and nearly couldn't contain myself! I tried it on and when I saw myself in the mirror, I was literally choking back tears. It was almost like God telling me, "Look Princess, I even helped you find the perfect dress." It was just exactly what I wanted! I loved it when I tried it on at the bridal shop, but I loved it even more when I put it on for my first fitting with all the correct undergarments so that it fit right. I felt like Cinderella! 

This was the first time I tried it on (still trying not to cry) 

It looks a whole lot better in real life with all the right stuff underneath it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dress story still isn't over, but I gasped when I found the dress I think was the one (it was still in the bag and hanger). And when I tried it on, before I looked in the mirror, it felt different. Then when I saw it.... sighs. It was just right.

But I can't afford it. So we'll see what happens. :)

It's David's Bridal WG9927.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tell-me-your-dress-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c2a1564a-cdb8-46cd-971d-a35263e1b90aPost:12cef0af-621d-4a0f-8a8b-51c8af9afa33">Re: Tell me your dress story!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I loved it when I tried it on at the bridal shop, but I loved it even more when I put it on for my first fitting with all the correct undergarments so that it fit right. I felt like Cinderella!  This was the first time I tried it on (still trying not to cry)  It looks a whole lot better in real life with all the right stuff underneath it.</strong>
    Posted by BekahL90[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>this is how it was for me too! I didn't have the right slip when I bought it but when I went back for the fitting with everything on, I felt like a princess. Funny how that works....

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I am wearing my mothers. My sister is doing the work on it to take it from an obvious 80s dress to something more modern :)
  • I started looking 21 months before the wedding, because I was worried I'd have trouble finding something within my budget (~$650) that I liked.  Didn't like any at the first store, but my mom made me try on a couple anyway.  Didn't like any at the second store, but tried on one that was waaaay to opulent for me.  I looked at the price tag in the dressing room, and it was also $1000 over budget. 

Went to a shop in Ohio and told the woman what I wanted.  She pulled three dresses.  The first two were nice, but I saved the one she thought I would like best for last.  I loved it, AND it was half what I thought I'd end up spending!  

• Aw I love all these stories! 

I had been to three different stores with no luck.  I found things I liked but nothing I really loved.  Then my mom and I went to this one store and fun the dress I loved.  I put it on and looked at it in the mirror and I just knew.  I got a little choked up and my mom cried.  It's so beautiful and me.  I feel totally like a princess.  FI is going to love it.

Front

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• I wasnt actually engaged yet , my FI and I were deffinatly talking about getting married and one of my co-workers mentioned a bridal shop was going out of business.  I talked to my FI about it and he was totally ok with me going to look especially if they were on sale. The sale was 99-249... They didnt have many in a smaller size . The first one I tried in my size was tea length [ but I am 4'9 so it's actually just above me shoes ] It's A line but puffs out just a lil bit without being a princess dress .. It's simple lace/toole and strapless.. I put it on ...My mom was with me and she was pretty much sold the minute I came out. We couldnt belive it ! I was in denial that I really did find it , So i tried a few other with a lil help from a friend of mine that lived near the store I needed just another opinion. I tried on dresses that looked gosh awful on a short person just to laugh ... SO I put the original pick back on... It was $99 Alfred Angelo originally 400 ...So we got it ... 2 years before my official wedding date.

I came home that night and put it on again for my maid of honor who stopped by and my dad ... I walked down the hall and they both cried. Worked for me cause then I cried. 

I do need some adjustments to it now because somehow I lost weight , my MOH said it's easily fixable but I think if i just eat some cake and ice cream I can fit the way it did when I first tried it on .

I'm not worried about what my FI will think I know he likes simple etc.

It fits me without needing a hem . What more can a 4'9 bride ask for ?

Love is All You Need
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tell-me-your-dress-story?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c2a1564a-cdb8-46cd-971d-a35263e1b90aPost:2ba28b61-0971-4a77-897e-0ab1a4dc7234">Re: Tell me your dress story!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I do need some adjustments to it now because somehow I lost weight , my MOH said it's easily fixable but I think if i just eat some cake and ice cream I can fit the way it did when I first tried it on . I'm not worried about what my FI will think I know he likes simple etc. <strong>It fits me without needing a hem . What more can a 4'9 bride ask for ?</strong>
    Posted by GunzNRoses213[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I had to laugh a little about this. I can identify with having a hard time finding a dress the right length, but the reason I laugh is because I'm 5'11" and am on my way right now to get the hem of my dress let out! I guess there are challenges both ways!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh yes we have the opposite problem... :) Story of my life ... Which is why we went with the first dress because we knew it would be a needle in a haystack to find one that worked and didnt loose a detail on the bottom ... I did try a dress that was cut short in the front with a train in the back but I couldnt stand walking with a train . I really thouhght I wanted one until I walked in it and I couldnt stand it ...

:)
    Love is All You Need
  • I went to two different stores with my mom, I can get overwhelmed and indecisive at times, so just picked 4-6 favorites and then went back again.  I absolutely, positively did not want strapless, so that cut out a large portion of dresses right there.  I'm a bit of a Rennie, so wanted something a lil bit historical.  So when my mom pulled a dress that had lace with delicate floral swirls, I went for it.  It's the rare scoop neck that doesn't show too much cleavage.  The swirly made it feel a bit Renaissance-y, but the selling point was the train.  It's lace over satin, and the satin goes to the floor and stops there in the back, while the lace goes on by itself to form the train. Very lightweight, and doesn't make the dress loose any of it's poof when I walk like it did in the others :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards