Wedding Etiquette Forum

Talk to me people...Night Thread

Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread

• I am, rsanna! I'm not in the crim division but they really encourage the clerks to go observe when we can, and this kind of opportunity doesn't always come along because of the severity of the charge. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:4218f8e3-1be3-41b7-b7a8-4eb3c2937dcb">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Wow, okay! Sounds trickier than I thought.
    Posted by starrynight84[/QUOTE]

<div>It probably depends a lot on the kind of centerpieces you're trying to make, but yeah it can be tricky :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:65acee2f-1ff2-47bb-af59-a47e129e4d88">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Ei is normally a long a sound. But I don't think that's what they mean, because wouldn't they just write "May-a"? Weird. 
    Posted by starrynight84[/QUOTE]

I think they specifically did the Mei because people could still confuse that for My-A. Like why are you telling me how to pronounce the name the way I would pronounce it in the first place? I don't know.
  • Musu, that's awesome you got that opportunity! I'm pretty certain that I don't want to practice law that's any way related to criminal court, but that would be a really interesting opportunity nonetheless.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:6e9c830b-d66f-4986-a0ea-8fcad952b815">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]See I looooooved the name when I thought it was pronounced My-a, but now that I know it's Mei-a I'm meh about it. That's terrible isn't it?
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

<div>No, not at all. Pronunciation can make or break a name for sure.</div>
  • I can't wait to see Leisel's wedding photos. I don't know why, but I think they're going to be awesome.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:d2033876-5abc-486b-98ac-9ffb39ed029e">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Musu, that's awesome you got that opportunity! I'm pretty certain that I don't want to practice law that's any way related to criminal court, but that would be a really interesting opportunity nonetheless.
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Oh I don't either. I'm working in the civil division so just an opportunity to go and observe once and a while is good enough for me. I for sure don't want to work on either the prosecution or defense side of crim. </div>
  • MK that actually reminds me of my old roommate. Her name is spelled Ana (usually pronounced Ah - na) but she pronounces it like Anna. Her parents meant for her name to be said the first way (more like how it's spelled) but people just kept saying it wrong so they went with it. I feel there was a better way for me to explain this but I can't get it right, haha.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:78007a9a-3d4d-430f-9a43-6fa1b72aca09">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I have this problem too.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>That's why I <em>need</em> Aryn going to class with me.  I'm planning every night to go, but then 6:45 rolls around and...I stay here chatting in the evening thread instead.</div>
  • Some of the names being tossed about on my month board are kinda bad. (IMO).  Fruit loop will have a name without any extraneous Y's, or any other silent/mis-prounounced letters.  
  • Today at work I was looking up information about other schools. I saw a kid named I'kyea. I can only guess that it is like the store. Your story reminded me of that MK.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Musu, I can understand why they would want you to observe and check things out.  That is just something that (at least, in my mind) doesn't come around that often and the opportunity to just observe is just fantastic. 

On the name subject, when I see Maya I also wonder if it is My-a or Me-a.  But I had never seen/heard of it like Mei-a (with the long a sound).  So I just find that weird.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:7768e52e-95a4-4e89-aaf2-337a16934187">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : That's why I need  Aryn going to class with me.  I'm planning every night to go, but then 6:45 rolls around and...I stay here chatting in the evening thread instead.
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I had a workout buddy my freshman year in college.  Sophomore year we lived in separate dorms and it all went downhill from there.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:7e796928-8748-451b-baf9-076e320dbbad">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Today at work I was looking up information about other schools. I saw a kid named <strong>I'kyea</strong>. I can only guess that it is like the store. Your story reminded me of that MK.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

That may be the most ridiculous one I've heard yet.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:177525d1-1385-4e77-9006-cf5571e51557">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some of the names being tossed about on my month board are kinda bad. (IMO).  Fruit loop will have a name without any extraneous Y's, or any other silent/mis-prounounced letters.  
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>And your little peach will thank you for that later.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:26af1c0c-6614-4e0b-be51-8e9cccba4af9">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]MK that actually reminds me of my old roommate. Her name is spelled Ana (usually pronounced Ah - na) but she pronounces it like Anna. Her parents meant for her name to be said the first way (more like how it's spelled) but people just kept saying it wrong so they went with it. I feel there was a better way for me to explain this but I can't get it right, haha.
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

My sister is Anna, the second pronounciation, but RuPen around here is spelled Anna, but pronounced Ah-na like the first pronounciation. I have to remind myself constantly not to call her my sister's name.
  • Angel - I also noticed that a lot of the siblings were named really similar things. Like TraVion and TraDion or something like that. Just one letter difference. I would think that would be confusing.

I clearly had nothing to do at work today.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Holy Shiiit.. I've got a peach.  See what happens when in-laws visit?  I should update my ticker.  It's off by a couple days (I measured 13 weeks exactly on Monday at my ultrasound).
  • Loopy your past 5 days is kind of my nightmare. I can't handle that many people in a small space for that long.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:1f9e49e8-98c2-462a-96f0-02b63b98a869">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : My sister is Anna, the second pronounciation, but RuPen around here is spelled Anna, but pronounced Ah-na like the first pronounciation. I have to remind myself constantly not to call her my sister's name.

I didn't know that. Apparently I've been pronouncing it wrong in my head for months.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah its also cool to see stuff like when the judge & attorneys discuss stuff without the jury in the room. It feels like you're in on a secret or something, haha. Plus the prosecutor sounded like Morgan Freeman mixed with James Earl Jones so that was cool. 
  • rsannarsanna member
    I always find it weird when parents name all of their kids similar things.  All of my cousins' names start with a T.  My FIL all had -lyn names and if my FI had been a girl he would have been Carolyn to continue it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:1f9e49e8-98c2-462a-96f0-02b63b98a869">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : My sister is Anna, the second pronounciation, but RuPen around here is spelled Anna, but pronounced Ah-na like the first pronounciation. I have to remind myself constantly not to call her my sister's name.

<div>That's understandable. When I see my roommates facebook or see her name printed anywhere, I read it in my head like Ah-na, even though I know that's not her name. It's just stuck in my head that way.</div>
  • edited June 2012
    My middle name is Anna's first name, pronounced like RuPen Anna says it but spelled Ana. I love it that way.
  • I like simple names. If H and I ever get to have a son, his name will be Will, after my dad. 

Girl names a way harder, I think.
  • rsannarsanna member
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:cae73a56-d5df-4fb5-9f61-f99445ba4484">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah its also cool to see stuff like when the judge & attorneys discuss stuff without the jury in the room. It feels like you're in on a secret or something, haha. Plus the <strong>prosecutor sounded like Morgan Freeman mixed with James Earl Jones</strong> so that was cool. 
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

My first thought, so he sounds like God AND Darth Vadar.  I'm weird.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there.

I'm having a most shittastic day. Started off by killer cramps and back ache waking me at 4 am. I was almost in tears but realized that crying, talking, or moving made me feel like throwing up. It was never this bad. I miss me some BCP!

The day went way downhill from there. Work sucked and is about to get worse. I also got a busted windshield courtesy of Louisiana's ridiculously fuuuucked up roads.

Ok, I'll try to stop my pity party now.

Hope you all are having a better day!

Birdie, I think $50 sounds like a lot too but I'm not sure where you live or what that membership includes.  We used to pay $30/month each and that seemed pretty standard. I use the gym at H's school now and it's $60/semester. Pretty sweet deal!
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:dea165fe-0d75-4b36-8514-a012e96508f4">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel - I also noticed that a lot of the siblings were named really similar things. Like TraVion and TraDion or something like that. Just one letter difference. I would think that would be confusing. I clearly had nothing to do at work today.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>I taught one of three brothers whose names were all exactly the same except for one letter. And an identical twin whose brother's name also differed from his own by one letter. Not a fan.</div>
  • Aww Tracy. I'm sorry. Cramps are the worst. I miss my BCP too, except the fact that they made me hormonal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It wasn't ALL bad.  We drove around Rocky Mountain National Park one day and had a picnic lunch and enjoyed nice weather.  And one day we went up to Breckenridge (love that place) and found an AH-MAZING cookie place (linky).  Seriously, maybe the best cookies I've ever eaten.  And we went to a baseball game last night, and that was a lot of fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards