Not Engaged Yet

Wisdom Teeth :(

Well, I think I am going to have to get my wisdom teeth out. And that sucks.

I haven't been to a dentist since I was 12, and that's the ONLY time I've ever been to one. Now I'm really super nervous! One of my wisdom teeth is coming in pretty much sideways. I can feel the one on the other side, but it's not through my gums yet. The two bottom ones don't seem to be giving me any problems at all. Maybe they're not even there.

But that darn top one is starting to rub against the inside of my cheek and it hurts. Frown

It's terrible timing because I have my bridal pics during spring break this semester, and of course I am getting married just a couple weeks into the summer. When the crap am I supposed to get these suckers out? I'm too busy for this! Grr.

How long did it take you guys to recover from getting your wisdom teeth out (obviously if you've actually HAD them out)? Also, I need pep talks about actually calling to make a dentist appointment. I'm a teensy bit nervous about just GOING.

Undecided
Anniversary

Re: Wisdom Teeth :(

• edited December 2011
    I am one of those lucky people who don't have wisdom teeth. However, FI at a cheeseburger for dinner after he had his out. My friend went bowling with us the night he got his out. Hopefully you fall into that category. My sister wasn't so lucky but it wasn't all that bad. She basically just slept for two days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i had mine out last year. it wasnt that terrible i definitely wasnt out eating cheeseburgers and bowling after i had mine done. i had all 4 taken out at the same time, so i think that makes it a little worse. i basically took like 2 days off work so that i would have a long weekend [thurs thru sun]. i was fine by saturday, but i slept thursday and friday. just do what they tell you, take your pain meds and eat soft food and you'll be good.
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also had all four out at one time, I personally had no swelling and 4 days later was fine. I do think you should know (TMI) the stitches if they come out can smell AWFUL. However, if you haven't been since 12, I would just go to the oral surgeon b\c a dentist is going to point out all the cleaning that needs to be done and you don't need that stress!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I cancellled my appointment to have them out a few months ago because 1) I'm a big baby and 2) they came in fully years ago and never caused me any pain.  I still may have them out one day because I've had some problems with my gums since I got my braces off (my teeth shifted) and I think the wisdom teeth didn't help the situation.

Anyway if you truly needs yours out then good luck.  I've known people who have swollen up like chipmunks for a few days and people who were back to work/school the very next day.  I think even worst case scenario you are up and running four days later.

Good luck!
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, plan to take it easy for at least 2 full days afterwards.  Every problem I've ever heard of was b/c someone didn't follow the doctor's instructions.

You'll be fine! Esp with your wonderful FI to pamper you. :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I got mine out at 15 but it wasn't a typical situation. I had to have corrective jaw surgery and they used the excavation/removal of my wisdom teeth to see how I would do under general anesthesia (sp?) and so the oral surgeon who would do my jaw surgery could see what he was up against.

I'd say just take it easy for a couple of days and let FI paper you for a bit after you have them taken out.
  • Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had all four of mine out at once and two of mine were sideways too.  Honestly, they make it sound a lot scarier than it actually was.  And like someone else said, as long as you follow their instructions and take the pain killers you should be fine in 3-4 days.  I did get really sore and swollen the second day, but it might have been because I swore I was fine a few hours after I had them removed and I ate regular food for dinner.  Stick to whatever liquids they suggest.

Definitely call your dentist and make an appointment now!  The longer you wait, the more likely it will be that you'll get a cavity or something.  That would be painful! Just go now and get a nice, easy check-up and cleaning!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have a dentist yet, that's the other stressful part. This sucks!

But I do feel better hearing from you ladies who didn't have it all that bad. Two or three days isn't too awful. I don't have classes on Fridays, so I guess I could manage a long weekend of pain killers and sappy romantic comedies.
    Anniversary
  • rickylee244rickylee244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally love the dentist (had 15 of my baby teeth pulled out lol)

I had two of my wisdom teeth out out, wasn't even knocked out for it.  Actually just had some laughing gas and was able to drive myself home from the office.  Didn't even take any pain meds because they made me sick.  It all depends on the person and how far in they are and such. 

You will be fine! I promise, and better to get it over with.
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Photobucket
  • mrosenbmrosenb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure that you have an experienced oral surgeon do the surgery. Do not go to a local university and trust your mouth to them. That is all I have to add.
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had mine surgically removed back when i was 17 and thankfully under my parents insurance at the time. They never actually came in , were just stuck under the gums but my dentist felt it would be best to take them out with surgery. It was a realtively painless recovery , anoying more than anything as the stitches they had to put in slowly dissolved. i did have one bad pocket of infection , by no fault of my own as i did all the preventive care but was one of those things.

That was teh worst of it , the just had to clean the area with water and a salt solution , but i sware it felt so much worse. That was 14 years ago ( omg i am old ! ) so i bet procedures now are even better. They had to knock me out and if thats an option i suggest taking it. Good luck *hugs*
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had all of mine out (all were impacted/in sideways) and it wasn't that bad! I slept for the next 12 hrs after surgery and ate soft foods. I was on stage a few days later and it was fine.  Just take it easy and listen to what your body is saying.  A long weekend will be all you'll need.  OH and DON'T USE A STRAW for the first couple of days...I sucked my stiches out doing that and had to get new ones put in...it sucked!!!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    I was lucky enough to never have wisdom teeth but my BF had to have 5 taken out (he had an extra tooth somewhere up there) and a cyst removed at the same time. He had it done on Friday and went back to work the following Tuesday. I would get it done asap. BF was supposed to get his out two years prior but kept putting it off.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    It's really not that bad.  Mine were impacted, and I had all 4.  I had them out when I was 15, and an oral surgeon removed them.  They knocked me out for it, and I highly recommend that.  You feel no pain at all.  I took maybe 1 of the painkillers they gave me, and then Tylenol from there on out.  Drank a lot of milkshakes the first day or so and slept a lot.  I did swell up a bit, but it was gone within a couple of days. 

The best part was the little water syringe they give you to clean out the sockets.  Aside from being essential to the after-care and helping to avoid infection, they make *excellent* water guns.  ;-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Lol, that sounds kind of gross, Acro! But fun. Cool
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    It's not gross!  You don't suck anything up in them but water ever, I promise.  It's totally not gross.  :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm the only one here who had a bad experience with mine :P I was in really bad pain for over a week, and couldn't eat solids for two weeks (I didn't even have dry socket. It was just really painful for some reason). I don't think I ever want to look at yogurt again! And that was also when I discovered vocodin doesn't work on me, even after I took three times my recommended dose (stupid, I know. But I was on SO much pain and just didn't care at that moment!).

But being put under was awesome. One minute I'm talking to the surgeon and the next I'm on a gurney marveling with drug induced awe at how soft and red my blanket was, and excitedly thinking, "OMG. I KNOW that guy!" when I saw BF :P

All four of mine were deeply impacted, but it sounds like at least one of yours is just below the surface which will make it a LOT easier on you. And as everyone else before me has shown, it's rare for the experience to be as sucky as mine (I didn't get chipmunk face at least!).

• Dmatthews450Dmatthews450 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too! mine are coming in straight but they are squishing all my other teeth out of place so I will not only need them removed, but following removal will need braces. I definitely feel for you
  • nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I worked as a surgical assistant and hopefully this will help!

1) Do go to an oral surgeon.  An oral surgeon does this every day and will have you in an out in no time.  Think of it like having your car's oil changed-yes, you could probably do it, but it is a lot easier to go to someone who does it all the time.

2) If you are nervous, schedule to have it done first thing in the morning.  People will sch late in the day and worry about it all day.  Then you have a problem with the drugs taking if you are nervous.

3)  A lot of people get sick from the anesthesia and you DO NOT want to throw up after this procedure is done.  IV sedation is usually a lot easier on someone and will know you out enough so you won't remember but can answer general questions from Dr. (like do you feel anything?)-Take someone with you and taken ice packs.  A lot of oral surgeons do not give these and if placed right after you wake up, will help redice swelling

4) Do not smoke or drink through straws.  You run the risk of a dry socket for 3-4 weeks.  Have easy to eat foods ready for a few days worth of meals.  Pastas, cottage cheese, puddings, baked fish, mac and cheese., ice cream.  Probably won't want to do a lot of chewing. 

5) Pain meds are usually prescribed.   Get them filled and take them.  Don't wait for it to hurt to take them

6) If you normally don't work on weekends, have it done on a Thur morning to give yourself a long weekend.  A lot of your recuperation will depend on the difficulty of getting teeth out, type of anesthesia you have, wether you take care of yourself and if a general dentist or oral surgeon does ext.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN ORAL SURGEON BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN SOME REAL MESSES BY GENERAL DENTIST.  General dentist do not do this everyday and it may be more expensive for an oral surgeon but it will be worth it !  GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards