Connecticut
Options

Officiant fee?

I'm starting to look at officiants, but I have no idea what is a reasonable fee.  So far, I'm seeing prices around $600, but this seems like an awful lot to me.  Can anyone give me a general idea of a typical officiant fee (whether it be JP, Rev., Minister, etc)?  TIA!
Anniversary

Re: Officiant fee?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My church charges a $500 "donation" outside the suggested tip/gift for the priest.
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on how complex you want the ceremony to be. One of my friends used a JP and it was around $200 including travel. Most likely FI and I are getting married at his parents' church(Catholic) and that will cost us about $1000. 
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agree with Christi. We are getting married in our church & when all is said & done with "donations" etc. we are probably looking at about $800-$1000.
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother is a JP and usually charges $100, but she usually does lwo key private ceremonies. We were married in a church, and with donations and everything...it was around $800-$1000, I cant remember.
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    PRLJMBPRLJMB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i used a JP and she was $175 super helpful and worth way more I think.  Also, I had talked to a church and their fees were around $400 total but it was negotiable and more based on what you wanted to donate I believe.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're using JP Sara Carson.  She's charging us $75, but we don't need a rehearsal.  She's hiking with us out on our favorite hiking trail.  That $75 includes her travel fee.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My JP is also my DJ (Bert from After Hours), he is charging us $100.I never looked into any others but I know the church was going to charge us $1000 to getmarried there
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked at 3 JP's - We are using Sara as well but she's charging us $125 (akulaji she must like you!! haha :). The other charged $100 and the other $325. Our ceremony venue fee (not a church) is $400.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the info ladies!!  This really helps :)

PRLJMB - Who was your JP?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our JoP is charging us $250.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    herb0622herb0622 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church is charging us $500 as well which includes fees for the ceremony, organists and altar server tips
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Crushme, are you doing a rehearsal with her?  We are doing a simple ceremony just to 'officially' marry us... just us, Sara and my friend that will officiate our public ceremony later in the day.  I think that's why she's only charging us $75.  There's really no preparation for her, no rehearsal and she doesn't have to worry about tailoring her words to accommodate an audience.  I think she told us her average cermeony is around $125, so I think you're getting her standard deal.  Ours was just an unusual circumstance.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Jennie2010Jennie2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $250.00
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our minister didn't have a fee because we're members of his church (though we got married outside of the church) but we gave him $200 as a thank you along with a separate $250 donation to the church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    akulaji - oh I'm definitely not complaining at all! I think her fee is very reasonable and I totally love her! She's so sweet and gave us so much info and ways to make our ceremony really ours :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It was supposed to be $575 but she can't come to our rehearsal, so she took $100 off to bringing it to $475. We didn't want to spend that much, but once we met her we reallly liked her and didn't want to use anyone else!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    TTC February 2013
    Melissa's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our JP was $150 + another $40 or so for travel (1 hr each way).  but $50 of it was a donation to an animal charity.
  • Options
    romyjm8romyjm8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Out JP is $150 and that includes rehearsal & travel.  We may throw in a few extra for a "tip"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback!  I'm so relieved to know that you can get a great JP without having to spend a lot of money!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've got Robert Chatfield, he's also the Mayor of Prospect and he's charging us $100.00, which includes rehearsal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sweetpe75,  have you met Robert yet?  We were recomended him by our venue and I just wanted to know what your impressions of him were?? Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards