Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Divorced, Remarried and Deceased Parents…Invitation wording dilemma

My parents are divorced and remarried and both sets are paying for the wedding but my step dad recently passed away.  My fiancés dad passed away a few years ago.  All the etiquette books say if they are not living then they are not listed on the invitation.  They also say if the widow has not remarried then you list as Mrs. and the deceased fathers name…trouble is that one mom wants to be listed as Mrs. and the other wants her own name and a reference to the late father.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to word this so everyone is happy?  Is it ok to list them differently?

Re: Divorced, Remarried and Deceased Parents…Invitation wording dilemma

• Options
    I had this same problem.  I will tell you that its 100% not etiquette approved to have a deceased family member on the invitation but I did it anyway.  My parents are divorced and remarried but I didn't put step-parents on it.  This is how I did it.

Andy's Dad
    Andy's Mom
    invite you to the marriage of their daughter
    Andy
    to Andy's FI
    son of FFIL and FMIL (may her memory be blessed)
    at blah blah blah

Divorced parents go on a different line without an "and" and the "may her memory  be blessed"s is a jewish thing.

Or you can make it WHOLE lot easier and say "Together with their families"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You can also do this:

Mother of Bride
    Father of Bride
    Invite you to the marriage of your daughter
    Bride
    to Groom
    Son of Mrs. Groom
    and the late Mr. Groom

THis is acceptable
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jbentijbenti member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Together with their parents Jill and Jack......
  • Options
    i'm using "together with thier parents" (especially as FI parents swapped significant others :S) 
  • Options
    When I married my now late husband, his mum was recently deceased-

We did:

Mr and Mrs. Jeffrey Jones invite you to the wedding of their daughter
    Jane Doe Jones
    to
    John Smith
    Son of Paul Smith and the late Wendy Smith

My then FI really wanted his mother mentioned, and I was totally ok with it. I'm an etiquette hound, but screw it on this sort of thing.

That's the gist-

Also

Together with their families... is a great alternative.
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you this helped me as well. . my fiance's mother passed away and his father is remarried. we were having a hard time thinking of what to say. I love 'together with their families'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards