New Hampshire

Do we need engagement photos done???

I have been looking at photography for a long time, and have always wanted professional e-photos before the wedding.  The photographer that I really want would charge extra, and I'm totally okay paying for it, but my fiance and family disagree - they think it's a waste of money and that anyone could do engagement photos.  Any thoughts?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do we need engagement photos done???

• edited December 2011
    I am getting engagement pictures, but it is part of my package.  As time has gone on, I have been even happier that we are going to have them done.  I think it really depends on how much extra and if you are in love with the photographers work.  In looking at the engagement photos out there, there are definitely a lot of different styles and quality.  You have to look at your budget and figure out if this is a priority for you.  I love engagement pictures, but I also think they are a bonus not necessarily a must have.  I hope this helps!
    ~~Sabrina~~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Engagement photos are certainly not necessary, but they can be used for a lot of your DIY projects, if you so choose.  They make great portraits to give to your friends and famly, and send out in your Christmas cards (my FI are doing them more for this reason; we don't have many pictures together!).  They can also be a GREAT way to get to know your photographer, their photography style, and get used to their direction before the wedding day.  This can make your wedding day pictures a lot easier, especially if you're not used to or don't like getting photographed.

If they're something that won't break the bank for you, I say go for it.  But if it's an expense that just isn't in the budget, I wouldn't stress out about it.  If you REALLY want e-pics and can't afford to have your photographer do them, it's not the end of the world to have someone else (e.g. less expensive photog, friend or family member) do them for you.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got them because they were included in the package price.  We set up a laptop and showed them at the engagement party last year.

Honestly though, I don't think I would have paid extra to have them if they hadn't been included.  I think that you could get someone who has a pretty decent camera and just do them on your own if you really wanted a few for wedding-related projects, (like STD cards).
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ours were included in our package as well and our photographer used them to make our guestbook for the wedding.
    I agree with PP...you can use them for a lot of things like STD's and other DIY projects, but they are not entirely necessary.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

It is in our package.  We took just about every extra out of our package except for the time and the e-pics.  The only reason why we kept it in is because we both hate/suck at having our pictures taken.  This way it will get us used to them and having the camera on us.

• edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    They are not included in our package, so we are not getting them done. My mom has a good camera and a pond in her backyard, so one of the next times we go up to visit, she's going to do a couple of shots, just to have. We might use them for the STD, but other than that, not really sure if we'll do anything with them anyway, except to have for memories.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!  (Haven't checked back in a while!)  We decided to do them.  Turned out great and I'm glad we did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards