• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2011 Weddings

Afternoon Chit Chat

Anyone around? WFL? What's Up??

I am at work and just not in the mood to do any work. It is kind of a slow day.

Random question... would it annoy you if your MIL went into your fridge/pantry and put food in there with out your knowledge?
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller

Re: Afternoon Chit Chat

• oh maybe I should eat. hmmm Smile 

and no it wouldn't bother me. I am used to my mom doing that so maybe that helps.

Now if they rearranged my pantry? yeah I would be irritated.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments

Everything my MIL does drives me nuts. So I was trying to see if this was a normal reaction or just a I can't stand her reaction. 

She always bring at least one grocrey bag of food with her.  She has a shopping addiction. I have been recently taking only half of what she gives me, compromise. So if she brings over 2 bags of chips, 2 bottles of pop and a bottle of bbq sauce; I sent back 1 bag of chips, 1 bottle of pop and the bottle of bbq sauce. She realizes this now and will put stuff in my cupboards and fridge when I am not paying attention to her. Like arrive at the party with one bag and later go out to her car and get another bag.

This has cause another problem with for me. I will think that I bought stuff I didn't buy. Like when did I buy this.... I will rack my brain like why would I buy wegmans pretzels, I always buy rold gold....It makes me crazy.

My other problem is H doesn't feel like this is a battle worth fighting. He thinks we should just take the food. I see his point but than again I don't want chips, cookies, nuts and other crap in my house. I don't buy pop because than I drink it. It is something we have been argue over since we have seen his parents a lot recently and they always bring something.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    O aggie lunch would be a good idea.
  • coming from a daughter of a mother who loads my fridge and cupboards whenever she comes it is probably a labor of love and not meant to offend.

My mom's 2 ways of showing her love is cooking for someone and giving gifts.  So to her this is a way of doing both.  Not allowing her to do that would crush her.  

She does this with all of her kids, and I know it used to offend my SIL too.  She used to feel it was my mom's way of saying she wasn't good enough in the kitchen.

Maybe you can ask her to go to the grocery store? or create a list and if she volunteers to bring something/ go to the store you can give her some directions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • No I wouldn't be offended.  It might be a little odd since she hasn't done it before but I wouldn't care.

Whenever DH and I come for the weekend, she buys a ton of groceries and then sends most of it back with DH and I.  So I guess its her way of stocking our pantry from across the state :)

Not much going on here.  I'm still extremely irritated with my Dentist because they cancelled my appointment today and sent a letter to me to let me know.  Apparently they don't understand how the phone works.  So no teeth cleaning for me and now they are booked for months (supposedly.)  Lovely.

But DH gets his new card tonight!  I'm excited for him but annoyed because the process of buying a car is a pain if you are financing because it takes so gosh darn long.  Grr.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • emart that would be a reason to change dentists for me.  That is seriously annoying!
    Fred Rogers
  • I agree that your MIL is probably trying to do something nice, but it sounds like you've made it clear that you would prefer she not do it, and I think she needs to respect that.  Sneaking it in is just that -- sneaky.  Sneaky's not cool.

I took a nap, but now I'm watching Boy Meets World again and trying to mentally prepare for my interview tomorrow.  The lady told me it would take an hour to an hour and a half.  I've never had an interview longer than ten minutes before.  I have no idea what to expect.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • In Response to Re: Afternoon Chit Chat:
    emart that would be a reason to change dentists for me.  That is seriously annoying!
    Posted by aggiebug
    Well it's a bit complicated.  Through work, I don't get dental insurance because we have a dental school.  So I can get a teethcleaning and the full works every 6 months for only $12 and still see a real dentist (the faculty that teach at the school).  And $12 every six months is a lot cheaper than if we added myself to DH's dental insurance.

So I'm extra irritated because they acted like they had no way to contact me even though they had my correct contact information and know I'm an employee.  Super frustrating.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments

E: Booo on silly dentist. I would be annoyed as well. Yea on the new car! Did you guys get anything exciting?

Aggie: I know it used to offend my SIL too.  She used to feel it was my mom's way of saying she wasn't good enough in the kitchen. I feel this way as well. I go grocery shopping, your son is not starving, I promise. Plus she has made comments about my weight before and she is always bring over potato chips and pop.

Thanks for the advice. I will try not to let it bother me. Like I said I dislike her to begin with so anything she does drives me crazy. Also it is not something my mother would ever dream a doing. She came to the party yesterday empty handed, which was perfect because we had plenty of food.

• ok well I guess I can understand putting up with it then. that is still quite irritating though
    Fred Rogers
  • I guess it all depends on your relationship.  Have you (or rather your DH) tried talking to her about it?  Or it is like talking to a brick wall?

See and my MIL would never show up anywhere empty handed even if she was specifically told to.  She just can't not bring something but it comes from a place of love not to torment us.

May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • I completely understand how you can feel that way and that is why mentioned my SIL.  I think if you give her suggestions about what she can do it might help both of you.  I imagine she is trying to get you things you would like.and appreciate.  

Maybe a oh gosh this are my weakness! I have been trying to only keep XXX around for snacks.  Or an oh gosh that is kind of you, but H didn't tell you we are giving those up? We are eating/drinking more XXX lately.   Make it so she knows how she can be of help, but you can control it? 
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    In Response to Re: Afternoon Chit Chat:
    I guess it all depends on your relationship.  Have you (or rather your DH) tried talking to her about it?  Or it is like talking to a brick wall? See and my MIL would never show up anywhere empty handed even if she was specifically told to.  She just can't not bring something but it comes from a place of love not to torment us.
    Posted by LaBellaVita23
    Brickwall! A big brick wall! She didn't she why my SIL wold be offend when her sister signed SIL up for weight watchers. She is not normal. And doesn't get how things she says or done could offend other people. 

Thanks for all the advice. I was just seeing if it would bother other people because like I said her breathing bothers me. So I need a check and balance at times to see if this is something I should worry about or not.

E: I would tolerate the dentist for that price as well. But still annoying. Good help is so hard to find these days.
  • In Response to Re: Afternoon Chit Chat:
    In Response to Re: Afternoon Chit Chat : Brickwall! A big brick wall! She didn't she why my SIL wold be offend when her sister signed SIL up for weight watchers. She is not normal. And doesn't get how things she says or done could offend other people.  Thanks for all the advice. I was just seeing if it would bother other people because like I said her breathing bothers me. So I need a check and balance at times to see if this is something I should worry about or not. E: I would tolerate the dentist for that price as well. But still annoying. Good help is so hard to find these days.
    Posted by degrea
    what the what?  They signed her up for WW without her knowledge?  That's HORRIBLE.  OMG I would never speak to these people again.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • I remember that Degrea Undecided.  that is ridiculous.  I can't blame you for loathing her.  

Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    In Response to Re: Afternoon Chit Chat : what the what?  They signed her up for WW without her knowledge?  That's HORRIBLE.  OMG I would never speak to these people again.
    Posted by LaBellaVita23
    Yea she got a free membership in the mail. Ask her H about it and he said "yea mom mention something about a membership to something, P (aunt) signed you up." SIL cried, called P. Was told she was the rude one, never received an apology and than MIL said to BIL what's the big deal pretty much and guilted him inviting P to a party where none of MIL other siblings were invited.

Like I said she is not normal and doesn't understand how her actions affect other people.  FIL, H and BIL have allowed her to always get her way because it isn't worth the battle because she will never admit she is wrong or change her mind. I can't tell you how many times me and SIL have received apologies from FIL for something MIL or Aunt IL did.

Hence why everything she does drives me crazy. I am always on guard around her and always feel like she is attacking me or judging me. It is very uncomfortable, but it has gotten better over the last 9 years. I now drink when she is around; that helps! LOL!!
  • Seriously, if that happened, I would never speak to the woman again.  Ever.  I don't blame you one bit for being on guard because holy moly that is bad.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    Yes it was and is bad, but it is almost something that SIL and I can laugh about now.  She is still very hurt by it but whenever we say something like how do they not know blah blah, we both say in unison WW!

Enough about my H crazy family... What is everybody up to night? Only 30 more min and I am out of here. I need to do some dishes, dinner, laundry and hopefully the Olympics. But H says I need to go to bed before 10 so I won't be able to see them all, boo!
  • why do yo uneed to go to bed before ten?
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    why do yo uneed to go to bed before ten?
    Posted by aggiebug
    Because I was impossible to get out of bed this morning. It is more like he will shut off the TV at 10 and be like bed time. HAHA!
  • LOL!
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea member
    2500 Comments
    My grandma just sent me a awesome article on onions. I wish I could find it online because I would post it.

Pretty much said onions absorb bacteria; so some people believe they will prevent the flu if you place them around your house or in your bedroom. O and that onions are to blame for food poisoning in potato salad not mayo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards