Honeymoon Discussions

El Dorado Royale or Royal Playa del Carmen?!?

My Fiance and I are looking into different honeymoon options for next Juen 2013! We have narrowed the location down and decide that we are going to Mexico, the Riviera Maya area. We just can't decide on which resort! We are looking at the El Dorado Royale and the Royal Playa del Carmen. Has anyone been to either resort? Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: El Dorado Royale or Royal Playa del Carmen?!?

• We are staying at the Iberostar Grand in Playa...I have heard nothing but amazing things about Playa, so we are super excited to go!  I'm sure whichever one you choose will be amazing!
    Anniversary
  • the glaring difference between the 2 is location. Royal is right there in playa del carmen, EDR is not-and about 30 minute cab ride away. if you want to be able to walk 2 blocks to PDC choose the royal, if not choose EDR. both get great reviews.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_el-dorado-royale-or-royal-playa-del-carmen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:26b79fcd-88d0-404d-b327-e472265f811cPost:1131754a-bf5f-4bff-b3db-38cca4ba532d">Re: El Dorado Royale or Royal Playa del Carmen?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are staying at the<strong> Iberostar Grand</strong> in Playa...I have heard nothing but amazing things about Playa, so we are super excited to go!  I'm sure whichever one you choose will be amazing!
    Posted by rsaleh84[/QUOTE]

fyi: it's not IN playa-about 30-40 minutes north or so.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_el-dorado-royale-or-royal-playa-del-carmen?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:26b79fcd-88d0-404d-b327-e472265f811cPost:1fab9d7b-3ba6-473c-95d3-061698eed75f">Re: El Dorado Royale or Royal Playa del Carmen?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: El Dorado Royale or Royal Playa del Carmen?!? : fyi: it's not IN playa-about 30-40 minutes north or so.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

cool thanks
    Anniversary
  • We had a fantastic HM at the Royal. Ditto PP's advice about being right in town vs. having to take a cab to get anywhere. Here's my review of the resort:

Anniversary
  • Based on my own personal experience, I would go with EDR.  I went to the Royal PDC with two girlfriends at the end of July.  I've been to the Royal Cancun and had an amazing experience so we were expecting more of the same.  RPDC was a major let down - rooms weren't as nice as Cancun, service was slow and spotty, 30-90 minute wait for dinner, rowdy guests - we experienced a really spring break-like atmosphere.  The drinks were horrible and most food was just ok.  

Again, this is just my experience and most of the reviews I read about RPDC rave about it.  Maybe it was just when I was there, but in good faith I would never recommend it to anyone. 

I have three friends who have stayed at EDR and loved it.  My sister stayed at EDR and thought it was alright - she preferred Royal Hideaway.  
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • edited September 2012
    It all depends on what type of experience you are looking for.  If you are looking for more activitiy and being able to walk right into town choose The Royal.  If you are looking for a totally laid back, luxurious, romantic experience choose the Casitas Section of El Dorado Royale.  I would also suggest upgrading to a casita section with the lazy river and private pool.  We stayed in section 31 in an upper floor room with a private plunge pool and it was amazing.  Next time I would choose the lower floor with the swim up pool, they had their own lounge chairs right in the water.  The casita sections have their own Concierge to help with any questions or concerns.  The food was amazing at all restaurants and it you like to walk, the grounds are beautiful and it is about a 15 minute walk from the casita section up to the main resort.  They also have golf cart shuttles that will pick you up if your not up to a walk.  Section 31 has a lunch patio with an amazing lunch menu.  We never left the pool area for lunches as the food was so good.  Ice cream service at the casita sections around 4 every afternoon.  If you choose EDR, the coconut ice cream is a must to try.  Yum.
    Hope this helps.
    Laura

Laura Kreitz www.simplepleasurestravel.com
  • Not to throw another idea into the mix but I thought I'd weigh in since my FI and I looked at these same resorts for a March vacation this year. We ended up at Secrets Maroma and it was specacular. Some of the best service and absolutely the best beach we've experienced anywhere. We did a swim out room in the VIP wing where you have your own concierge and private check in and a few other special services. 

The Spa at Maroma was also unreal. I love my spas, let me tell you, and this was one of the best. 

The whole experience was ultra romantic, ultra indulgent and we wouldn't have changed a thing about it.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a wonderful time! 
  • I know I'm a few months late with my response, but we were just married at the El Dorado Royale a few weeks ago and it was the most AMAZING experience. They have wedding planning down to a science there. We had 67 guest (which is insane for a destination wedding) everything went perfectly and every last guest wants to come back to the ELD so we are planning a 1 year anniversary party there next year. I will agree with the other post that the EDR is very secluded and laid back, but there are enough activities, restaurants and things to do to keep anyone busy, The Royal Playa was right in the heart of PDC surrounded by a lot of action. I looked at the Royal Playa early in our property search and I can confidently say for our wedding and our group the El Dorado Royale was the perfect choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards