Getting in Shape

How long did it take you to lose 15 lbs? (and get in shape)

I've been working my butt off running, doing Jillian 30 Day Shred and eating really well for 4 weeks.  I have only lost 1.5 pounds!  I've lost 2 inches off my waist (gaining muscle, losin' fat) but I can't believe the scale progress has been so slow.

I know the "scale shouldn't matter" as long as I"m losing inches, but it does matter to me a bit.

My question is for people with similar experience, how long did it take you to lose 10-15 pounds?  My wedding is in June but I'd like to be at my goal weight (11 pounds less) by March when my first dress fitting is.
Anniversary

Re: How long did it take you to lose 15 lbs? (and get in shape)

• I lost 10 pounds before my wedding, and it took me close to a full year. I really just added exercise- I went from doing none to going to the gym 6 days a week. I wasn't counting calories at that point, but I did make an effort to eat smaller portions and choose healthy options, but would not say I was dieting.

I was not technically overweight (but heavier than what looks/feels best for me) so the 10 pounds did take a while to lose- my body wanted to hold on to them! But I also could have lost more, faster, by counting calories and being more serious with my diet.

Since the wedding, I started counting calories and using a bodybugg, and I lost another 5 pounds (in 3 months). I'd love to lose another 5, but I am healthy where I am right now.

I feel your pain, because those 10-15 pounds can be really frustrating. Especially when you hear of people losing 30-50 pounds. But sometimes when you don't need to lose a ton of weight, it's even more difficult (or to lose those last 10-15 once you have lost a lot of weight). Also, if you already eat pretty healthy. In my case, I already didn't drink soda, eat fast food, etc...all those things that can help you drop weight fast by cutting them out completely.  I prefer to focus on measurements and how my clothes fit. That's all that will matter at a dress fitting, too- the seamstress won't weight you!  Good luck!
  • I've heard that it takes about 6 weeks of working out consistently for the weight loss to catch up. That means that in another couple of weeks the weight might start just falling off. I'm not sure how true that is though - some of the other girls on this board will have better insight.

I agree about the fact that your weight ultimately doesn't matter for your dress fitting - it's measurements that matter!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everyone's body is different.  I lost 15 lbs in a few months, but I weighed 194lbs when I started.

On the other hand, from January to September this year I lost nearly 14 inches but only 2 lbs.  Weight is not everything, especially when you're building muscle.  Being focused on some goal weight will only stress you out. 

I'll never understand the complete and utter obsession people (not just you OP) get with being at a certain weight for their wedding.  Wtf is the point if your healthy?  Being a certain size, or bodyfat %, well now that makes sense to me, but a certain weight?  I don't get that.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think cutting calories is the biggest part of losing pounds. However, I think focusing on losing inches is much more beneficial for you since you want your body to look a certain way in your dress.

I have lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks by sticking to smaller portions and making sure my caloric intake is less than my output in addition to slowing increasing exercise. I have also lost 11 inches (waist+hips), and people seem to think there is no way it's only a 10 pound loss. Inches seem to show the biggest difference (no one except you sees what the scale says!)
    Always Daddy's Little Girl
    kimdad-2

Mr. vs Mrs. Food Blog
    (Updated 6/12/11, please vote for the next dish!)
  • I can lose weight like its my job because I know the science of my body.  It took years to get to this point, but I can tell someone how much I will weigh on Friday based on what my weight is on Monday.  I can also tell you how much I will weigh after eating certain foods, whether good or bad.  I also know what workouts will make me retain more water and which will not.  The body is literally a science experiment.  Many people I talk to and help with exercise/nutrition have similar problems.  My mom is one of them...she has lost many inches but the scale barely moves.  She used the "I am lifting more so I am gaining muscle."  As much as that is true, we (most women) actually do not gain 1lb of muscle in 1 year.  She also does not lift heavy, so I knew that was definitely not the case.  She also said that she was eating really healthy. I told her to tell me exactly what she eats on a daily basis....well there was her issue!  She was either eating too little & not giving her body enough of the nutrients it needs orrrr when she thought she was eating healthy, her portion sizes were way too big!  Also, another thing that helps immensely is doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.  It seems as though you have the workout part down, I would have a closer eye on what you are eating.  Sometimes it surprises people to realize what they are actually eating when they pay more attention to it.  I know that is how it was for me when I thought I was eating healthy before I really made it a lifestyle change.

330image Invited
    0image Accepted
    0image Declined
    330image Waiting
  • It took me about a month and a half to lose my first 15 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers in mid-September 2009 and the first 15 were gone in early November.

Aren't you the one with the eating clean blog that gets posted on here a lot? If I remember correctly, Tosca Rena says that eating clean will help your body to settle at its ideal weight. Just keep doing that and don't worry about the number on the scale.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards